BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

Kevin Johnson was here for the cash only, he was really really poor, didn't have a coaching team so borrowed one from the UK which speaks volumes.

All that said Joshua looks a great prospect, it's just a shame more quality opponents aren't available for him to take on before he goes for the bigger names. Reminds me of Bruno in his early years, physically looks like him but has a bit more killer instinct.

Be interesting to watch him progress.

Yes, he always looked like he had a bit more the champ, more power in his punches. Apparently his wife had a baby just before the fight and his corner never said anything.

Physically he looked a good bit bigger than Mitchell so he must boil himself down to that weight but he still seemed the stronger of the two.

Yes, I think it was mentioned in commentary tomphil.

• Like 1

Noticed dafabet all over that ring. Never heard of them pre-rovers, but good to know they're legit.

Yeah I was surprised to see that, was a big day for them yesterday with the cup final then the boxing.

• 2 weeks later...

4 lbs over!! That's unforgivable for a professional boxer. Super middleweight is about 168lbs so he's nearly gone into light heavyweight there. Although boxers seem to be making up their own weigh limits these days so god knows what max weight is.

That's the farce of catchweight contests, with all the weight limits an rules and regs these days they shouldn't be allowed at top level. On paper it's an easy night for Ward and a good earner all round for all the hangers on because it's an English name v a top USA name but with low risk. Too many fights these days getting made just for the all round earning potential and not the belts or best v best at their natural weights.

Poor form from Smith with the weight thing, don't know what he was thinking. Putting extra muscle on hoping to bang him out fair enough but bulking up the gut won't do it. Maybe something stopped him training full pelt but he's gone ahead anyway for the money (minus 20%). Did well first fight v an ageing Abraham but in reality is nothing more than a decent domestic fighter.

• 3 weeks later...

Tyson Fury has somehow managed to get himself a fight with Klitschko in October, says more about the division that someone of his limited ability gets into the ring with a champion of limited ability in a division void of any real talent.

Ok so I'm being a bit harsh on Klitschko, you have to give the guy respect, he's unbeaten in over 12yrs so he's no mug, but he’s dominated a division void of talent and has gone about it in a very sterile way, turning millions of boxing fans off in the process.

As for Fury, well to be honest I think Abbey would beat him! He’s also an idiot, Fury not Abbey, some of his twitter rants show him to be a classless idiot and I hope Kilitschko does him in 1 round to puts this idiot out to pasture.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Fury is an utter goon, and about as likeable as Fred West.

I really want someone to smash him in, hopefully Klitschko will do the honours.

Edited by K-Hod

Fury is a pilchard of the highest order who's been decked twice by blown up cruiserweights. If Klitschko connects he'll be gone. Strangely though I think the big gangly goon has a chance just because of his sheer size and awkwardness. Wlad's getting some miles on the clock now and he has been known to have his off nights but if he stays disciplined he should get the job done. Going to try and get to this and it's fair to say we won't be cheering the underdog sadly.

Don't waste your money Tomphil, Fury will get nowhere near Klitschko, shouldn't be in the same ring.

But if you do go I hope Klitschko knocks him out, bit like Khan and Barrera, I never wanted a fighter to win more than Barrera that night, simply because Barrera is a legend and Khan didn’t deserve to be in the same ring as him. Sadly Marco was over the hill, but I'll never forget the Boo's when Khan did his ring walk, this despite Frank Warren playing cheering and clapping over the loud speakers.

I agree with what you're saying about Klitschko he's had it a bit easy for too long. Go back to when there was still a few credible yank heavyweights about and he was struggling. Kind of admire them though for what they've achieved so wouldn't mind seeing one live and I'd just love to see Fury flattened. Only trouble with their fights over there is they never have a good undercard and they turn them into a eurotrash rock concert so maybe i'll think twice :blink:

Froch retires, pity really I fancied a trip to Vegas...

Very good fighter, all action, big heart and worth the admission fee.

Where's the next Froch esq fighter coming from?

Doesn't come as a surprise as I really didn't see him risking a loss against a top class fighter in his final fight. It would have to be premier fighter too otherwise the fight wouldn't really make sense, the Chavez fight was all about money, in a fight he knew he would more than likely win.

He wouldn't push for the Ward rematch for the inevitable loss, and it wouldn't give him his Vegas payday either. There isn't really any fights out there that tick all the boxes really.

• Like 1

He's made the right choice he's a smart fella Froch. If the fires gone out it's gone out and I think he drained every last drop out of himself to prepare for Groves 2. He'd have to drain even more for someone like GGG and if that ended badly all the good work v Groves is forgotten. Plus he's 38 and he doesn't fight like Hopkins so there's a shelf life to come forward all action fighters like him. Not everyone's cup of tea out of the ring but in it a true warrior, great champ and credit to his sport. Plus seeing that twit Groves cobra'd was enough for me.

• Like 1