BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Boxing Megathread

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Only a fangirl would come out with that ?

Ducked Klitschko rematch, stripped of IBF, had to relinquish the others before being stripped after being suspended for cocaine use.

Then under investigation with his cousin for use of Nandrolone resulting in the end with a two year back dated ban, now conveniently swept under the carpet seeing as he's back in fashion making people money.

Never unified a single belt nabbed them all in one nights stick and run, NEVER defended a single World title to date and probably won't.

Never fought a single other top 6 contender outside of his 2 world title wins, almost 5 years apart.

If he doesn't get in with AJ or an instant rematch he'll be back to fighting German bus drivers or Ukranian taxi drivers or maybe a bit of fixed wrestling just to stay safe.

He turns up on the big nights but when mentioning him against other proper champions he falls short for me at the min.

Now jog on fangirl.

I fully understand your embarrassment. I would not like reminding of my stupidity either. 

I'm truly sorry, as I did not realise this was so important to you and failed to realise you were so upset. Genuine apologies as I don't want to spoil your day. You sound way too old to be all trembly.

I'll jog on as requested. You can reclaim your self appointed role as BRFCS boxing Oracle. As long as no-one reads your words you will be fine.

Joshua...ra ra ra ra. 

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

Hi KHod, hope you are ok and things go well. Bit of a weird reply to my post may I say.

I don't post on the football as I don't attend any longer and don't feel qualified watching titbits from tv.

I do follow the boxing, am still a member of this site, and could only post after the event last weekend.

For some strange reason I am constantly being called a 'fangirl' by one poster simply because I rate Fury's skills as a boxer. The one who liked your comment. If I have upset you both I apologise. I am not Fury's manager or agent, I don't benefit from supporting him, it is only an opinion.  

That was a bit sassier than it should have been from me, apologies. I was absolutely knackered having been a victim of the sand storm in Tenerife when I posted....

It’s just the hindsight nature of the post I wasn’t all that keen on. Your boxing posts are always appreciated, especially by part time observers like myself!

3 minutes ago, onlyonejackwalker said:

I fully understand your embarrassment. I would not like reminding of my stupidity either. 

I'm truly sorry, as I did not realise this was so important to you and failed to realise you were so upset. Genuine apologies as I don't want to spoil your day. You sound way too old to be all trembly.

I'll jog on as requested. You can reclaim your self appointed role as BRFCS boxing Oracle. As long as no-one reads your words you will be fine.

Joshua...ra ra ra ra. 

That previous post really hit the spot didn't it, kind of like the truth hurting.

Next time you end your exile maybe you should come back with a bit more class rather than 'i know best, i told you so digs' at others opinions on here that didn't tally with your own.

You have the nerve to call me oracle lol  I'm jusr a boxing fan i haven't attached my tongue to one fighters bottom to make myself feel better.

Have a good day.

• 2 months later...

I hear Tyson and Holyfield are going to get back into the ring for a charity event, Holyfield quoted as saying "If he hits me hard, I'll be hitting him back"  :D

You've got to have some respect for what Tyson Fury has done, his recovery and getting back to elite level, but he should never be talked about in the same breath as Mike Tyson or Holyfield.

For boxing fans out there, the Costello and Bunce podcast is superb, they went through the Sugar Ray Leonard v Thomas 'The Hitman' Hearns  fight with Sugar Ray himself last week, superb stuff. 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

Tyson should stay retired even from the exhibition stuff, stick to his cannabis farm. He isn't a tip tap fighter so no way are him and Holyfield going to ponce about and people wouldn't want to see that it's pointless.

I don't think he's any intention to be honest as he's become a good self publicist so he'll be making a few dollars out of all this somehow. 

Trouble is as the past tells us he's very easily distracted by unscrupulous promoters and big money. 

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

A 50 year old man should never get into a boxing ring, especially not as a heavyweight. 

Not quite 50yrs old but we watched Bernard Hopkins (45)  V Roy Jones (41) at Mandalay Bay in 2010, it was hardly a classic...2 old men well past the sell by date.

On the flight back home we got talking to Chris Eubank who was commentating on the fight for ESPN, never being one to hold my tongue I suggested they should never have been in the ring together, it was an awful fight.........I thought he was going to clump me one, thankfully he explained you should never criticise a man that enters the ring and puts his life on the line.....

He had a point and was spot on.

11 hours ago, Gav said:

Not quite 50yrs old but we watched Bernard Hopkins (45)  V Roy Jones (41) at Mandalay Bay in 2010, it was hardly a classic...2 old men well past the sell by date.

On the flight back home we got talking to Chris Eubank who was commentating on the fight for ESPN, never being one to hold my tongue I suggested they should never have been in the ring together, it was an awful fight.........I thought he was going to clump me one, thankfully he explained you should never criticise a man that enters the ring and puts his life on the line.....

He had a point and was spot on.

There's also another line that carries perhaps more weight - 'You don't play boxing' 

Roy Jones is 51 and isn't long retired they had to virtually beg him to stop after he went to other countries to get licensed. Similar was Holyfield who at 50 was chasing the likes of Klitstchko around for a fight before he was mixing it with the young giants. Both guys and Mike Tyson ended up losing to people they wouldn't even have chosen as sparring partners a few years earlier.

Like football the root of it all is money so to me it's perfectly justified to have a pop at them out of genuine concern alone.  However if they want to damage themselves for a few million dollars when they are already very comfortable and can earn money off their names alone then criticism will be ten fold.

On the subject of Eubank i love the guy but did you read how he talked himself and his son out of a mega money deal with Eddie Hearn ?  Fellas a fruitloop ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Eddie Hearne has told Sky News today that Joshua and Fury have agreed in principle to a 2 fight deal in 2021.

We all know plenty can happen between now and then and whilst I don't think either fighter is anything special, it will certainly be in the super fight category. 

Just now, Gav said:

Eddie Hearne has told Sky News today that Joshua and Fury have agreed in principle to a 2 fight deal in 2021.

We all know plenty can happen between now and then and whilst I don't think either fighter is anything special, it will certainly be in the super fight category. 

Would be the biggest fight in Britain ever.

14 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Would be the biggest fight in Britain ever.

Lets hope its in Britain and not in Saudi.

I could accept Vegas, the home of boxing, but not Saudi.

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Gav said:

Lets hope its in Britain and not in Saudi.

I could accept Vegas, the home of boxing, but not Saudi.

Can't see it being in Britain. 

I've said before, out of the 2 - Saudi and Vegas- I pick Saudi every time.

For entirely selfish, time difference reasons.

I know people worry about legitimising a brutal regime. But the UK still gives 100 million odd aid to them, and in last 5 years we sold 15 billion of arms to them to wage war with Yemen. 

If people want to make political points, address those bigger issues.  A boxing match barely registers in the big picture. 

And I don't want to piss about at 5am to enjoy the biggest bout in decades. 

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’d be more surprised if it wasn’t in Saudi tbh.

Hearn said as much last year.

For all everyone calls him a snake, he was quite honest about it, basically said they keep offering massive cheques, so he'd be stupid not to go where the most money was.

Explained it away as him doing the best for the interests of his clients mind. Yeah,  ok Eddie, no benefit to you at all I'm sure. 

At least it's all taking money out the regime. That's how I settle it with my conscience in order to have Sat night 10pm beer and pizza boxing party anyway. 

I don't mind Eddie Hearn to be honest, at least he's trying to make the biggest fights.

Saudi is all about the money, bollox to the fans, thats why I hope its in UK or Vegas. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, Gav said:

I don't mind Eddie Hearn to be honest, at least he's trying to make the biggest fights.

Saudi is all about the money, bollox to the fans, thats why I hope its in UK or Vegas. 

Yeah,  but boxing at 5am sucks.

More so, if it's a massive let down, like Mayweather Pacquiao. Never been so annoyed at losing 2 hrs sleep in my life. ??

20 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Well this all sounds above board and good.

You'd think Fury would not want to associate with these sort of characters given his previous problems and revival as a man largely rehabilitated in the public eye.

" Gangsters involved in boxing " ? That's a new one, do bears still shit in the woods these days ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Old saying in boxing that always rings true -- Nothing signed, nothing agreed 

This is just verbal publicity just wait till they get around to trying to thrash out the finer details.  The Fury mob and Warren won't sell their soul to Hearn no chance. Meanwhile Hearn won't fancy a load of gangsters setting it up no doubt this fella has links to the same underworld as Fury's family.

Don't hold your breath for this one all they've done so far is agree it's a 50/50 purse split. That could soon change again.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 15:10, tomphil said:

Old saying in boxing that always rings true -- Nothing signed, nothing agreed 

This is just verbal publicity just wait till they get around to trying to thrash out the finer details.  The Fury mob and Warren won't sell their soul to Hearn no chance. Meanwhile Hearn won't fancy a load of gangsters setting it up no doubt this fella has links to the same underworld as Fury's family.

Don't hold your breath for this one all they've done so far is agree it's a 50/50 purse split. That could soon change again.

Another old boxing saying - " The only thing square in boxing is the ring ".

I boxed at school. Three x three minute rounds. I was a fit as fiddle and it was still by far the most tiring sport I ever took part in Half way through the third round you had a hard time keeping your guard up.

The thing about boxing is when you meet up against somebody better than you it can go South pretty quickly. In football if you meet up against a team better than you then you get beat 6 or 7 nil and it's embarrassing but it's not the end of the world. In boxing you can get physically hurt.