BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get the apparent shock on here, did anyone expect them to make a well thought out inspiring appointment? I think we've got off bloody lightly considering Venky's track record! At least he has a bit of experience.

My only concern is that since Shaw has now announced it to the world, if it doesn't happen for one reason or another then whoever does come in will always be regarded as 'second choice' and that stigma never seems to get shaken off in the past.

I don't get the apparent shock on here, did anyone expect them to make a well thought out inspiring appointment? I think we've got off bloody lightly considering Venky's track record! At least he has a bit of experience.

My only concern is that since Shaw has now announced it to the world, if it doesn't happen for one reason or another then whoever does come in will always be regarded as 'second choice' and that stigma never seems to get shaken off in the past.

Finally a rational post

Appleton shocked at the way Blackpool FC is run, well I think it'safe to say that this grass is certainly not any greener.

I would have thought that a caretaker doing a very impressive job may just put a temporary stop to all the chaos. Needless to say, I was wrong.

Guest Norbert

Anthony Hopkins was the 2nd or 3rd choice for Hannibal Lecter. Michael Douglas was the 1st choice. Field Marshall Montgomery only got the gig in Egypt after Gott died in a plane crash.

So second choices are not always bad. Appleton is very underwhelming as a 1st choice, but I obviously hope he proves many of us wrong if/when he comes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/9791902/Blackpool-manager-Michael-Appleton-at-the-centre-of-a-boardroom-split-at-Blackburn-over-managerial-vacancy.html

Appleton’s success in keeping Portsmouth afloat despite the severe financial problems at Fratton Park earned him the Blackpool job and the admiration of Shaw – who was chairman at Preston during Appleton’s four-year stint as a player at Deepdale – and fellow directors at Blackburn.

But Blackburn’s global director, Shebby Singh, the man charged with running the club by Indian owners Venky’s, is unconvinced by Appleton’s credentials and is keen to recruit a more experienced manager to stabilise the Championship club.

Anthony Hopkins was the 2nd or 3rd choice for Hannibal Lecter. Michael Douglas was the 1st choice. Field Marshall Montgomery only got the gig in Egypt after Gott died in a plane crash.

So second choices are not always bad. Appleton is very underwhelming as a 1st choice, but I obviously hope he proves many of us wrong if/when he comes.

Can't argue with that, however in football management terms to which this thread pertains, it rarely works out. Remember souness at Newcastle?

I just wish they'd have given it to Bowyer until the end of Jan as they said they were going to, then possibly until the end of the season. Clearly that seemed to be Shebby's plan until Shaw and Co managed to get at the top of the class.

Does Bowyer even want the job though - I doubt it. He's currently got a long-term job and pretty much out of the firing line. Would he trade that in for the managers role and the guaranteed sack?

Appleton's a good local(ish) guy (Salford), was a good honest player whos career was cut very short by a serious injury(and a surgical F-up), worked under some quality managers, learnt the managerial ropes at a struggling club and is very respected in the game, Its disgusting seeing some of the comments on here. If people arent happy with the board/owners that's totally understandable but too take it out on Appleton(before hes even through the door) is pathetic.

also is is playing career was cut so short he's probably got as much coaching and managerial experience as people 10 years his senior.

This just goes to show one thing Venkys have learnt absolutely nothing in the 2 years I mean appleton FFS we really need to bombard Shebby's email this appt will not be tolerated I even take Sven over this clown and as said before they turned up their nose at 2M compo for Poyet what will appleton's compo be I'd even take Brown/Curbishley over Appleton we need to stop this happening now we need as many fans mailing shebby to stop this appt now.

Does Bowyer even want the job though - I doubt it. He's currently got a long-term job and pretty much out of the firing line. Would he trade that in for the managers role and the guaranteed sack?

He probably doesn't. But surely he was asked if he'd be willing to continue until the end of January at the earliest until we appoint a manager, before the statement came out the Bowyer would be in charge "until at least the end of January." The blokes no doubt got himself prepared for running the team until the end of Jan (and doing a mighty good job I might add) only to find out (via a 3rd party I'd imagine) that's not the case.

If Bowyer continued as current throughout January, and he was willing, I'd want to give him the job until the ended the season.

This just goes to show one thing Venkys have learnt absolutely nothing in the 2 years I mean appleton FFS we really need to bombard Shebby's email this appt will not be tolerated I even take Sven over this clown and as said before they turned up their nose at 2M compo for Poyet what will appleton's compo be I'd even take Brown/Curbishley over Appleton we need to stop this happening now we need as many fans mailing shebby to stop this appt now.

Or even more constructively you could bombard Derek Shaws email address, considering he is the one hell bent on appointing him?

Pathetic appointment if he gets the job. Fans aren't going to back him if the gets the job and those that do will turn on him pretty quickly.

It's clear there will never be any decent decision making whilst Venky's, Shebby, Shaw et al exist at the club. They have never learnt from past mistakes, the fact they have repeated them several times suggests they are incapable of changing.

Appleton has one more win than Henning Berg and he's had two more games. Yet Berg was deemed sackable and they've gone for Appleton to succeed him, and are also willing to pay compensation to get him.

If you made it up, no one would believe it.

In terms of any sort of logic (yes, Shaw will claim it is a logical, thought through appointment), the above post blows this strange approach out of the water........

My main issue with it is Appleton's demeanour and manner, he really does not inspire confidence on any level. Not a single poster has mentioned this. The Blackpool fans predicted that he would take the club backwards with safety first, cautious tactics and lose or draw too many games.

They were right, and this is also my prediction if he succeeds the hapless Berg and Kean.

Happy days.

........and this approach for Appleton following the 'Bowyer til end of Jan' statement totally undermines Bowyer's prep for Friday, a massive game against fellow potential relegation candidates..........

Appleton's a good local(ish) guy (Salford), was a good honest player whos career was cut very short by a serious injury(and a surgical F-up), worked under some quality managers, learnt the managerial ropes at a struggling club and is very respected in the game, Its disgusting seeing some of the comments on here. If people arent happy with the board/owners that's totally understandable but too take it out on Appleton(before hes even through the door) is pathetic.

also is is playing career was cut so short he's probably got as much coaching and managerial experience as people 10 years his senior.

Has a better record than bergs - only just mind you. Not the ideal choice by a long way. But If he is appointed we should back him. Not his fault he has been approached. Cannot see singh wanting to work with him though - or visa versa.

Archived