BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Michael Appleton - New Rovers Manager

Tom

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was highly-rated at WBA and apparently groomed to succeed Hodgson before he went to Pompey. Difficult to judge his time at Fratton Park with the ongoing farce there (at least he's prepared for Rovers). Hasn't exactly been great shakes at Blackpool but only lost twice in eleven games.

I'm really clutching here.

So why didn't he succeed him then? Not like Roy left on bad terms, and I imagine they were happy to let Appleton have a crack at being manager when he left too. Anyone hired deserves a chance, that doesn't mean we can't be massively against someone before it happens.

Venky's out.

Appleton is going to HAVE to get wins straight away and many of them or I can see another Kean style hate campaign brewing up.

Not sure about that. Let's not forget how many people were still giving Kean the benefit of the doubt after beating Wolves to stay up, and there were other things about Kean which led to the protests.

I'm not particularly happy about this either, but there's no point blaming Appleton for it or not giving a fair crack of the whip.

Guest Norbert

Why bother with Appleton? Just stick with Bowyer, who is almost as experienced and then try to get a proper manager at the end of the month or in the summer.

Stupid appointment from the cretinous vermin that own and run our club.

Very interesting background. Appleton clearly doesn't suffers fools, including the surgeon who messed up the operation that ruined his career. I can't see him putting up with any interference from Shebby etc and players with a chip on the shoulder. Give the guy a chance.

Appleton has one more win than Henning Berg and he's had two more games. Yet Berg was deemed sackable and they've gone for Appleton to succeed him, and are also willing to pay compensation to get him.

If you made it up, no one would believe it.

• Backroom
I can't see him putting up with any interference from Shebby etc and players with a chip on the shoulder. Give the guy a chance.

Feel like I've been transported back to Berg's appointment all over again. Substitute Appleton for Berg and we're right back where we started.

Shebby got his will when Berg was hired, now it's clear Shaw's turn to choose his man. But why they can't make a sensible decision and go for an experienced manager is beyond me. Friday is massive, it's a big big game for us. Four wins on the trot and confidence will be booming, with our without Appleton - I hope Bowyer makes it happen.

I know stats aren't everything but he does indeed have a worse win percentage than Steve Kean. On the bright side he's been at Portsmouth so he should be use to being at a circus of a football club. Hold my hands up and say I thought the rumour was a load of rubbish. You would have thought they'd have learnt a lesson from their previous two disastrous appointments the folly of inexperience.

whoever Rovers appoint as perm manager then most fans wouldnt been happy with the choice chosen.

Are you drunk?

Most fans?

Actually you're right most fans would not be happy with an appointment by these fools because they simply cannot make a decent and well informed appointment. It doesn't take a football genius to figure that out.

• Backroom

Our last first team staff were made aware they were sacked by Sky Sports News, why would Venky's bother to contact Bowyer or McPhillips? They clearly don't give a @#/? about professionalism.

Appleton has experience is managing loans and players who ain't arsed about being paid... administrators will be in at the end if the season and we will just fall down the league's.... it's coming... this is it now....

It would suggest the current directors can see it coming. India have obviously given the club a budget and told them thats it. They'll be ignoring everything just like they did this time last year. Keans.

Archived