BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wrong again, the hardest ball to hit is the one coming from behind you over your shoulder. When I was playing I worked for hours and hours and hours just working on my weaker foot. In the end I could control, shoot and pass equally well with either foot, I did favour my dominant foot for dribbling though.

Even Marodonna couldnt dribble with two feet, in fact the only player I ever saw do that with the outside of the foot was a winger called Willie Henderson at WBA and if you could shoot and pass with either foot, dribble with both feet, then I congratulate you, you must have been a pro unless you were slower than a 70 year old!!

Wrong again, the hardest ball to hit is the one coming from behind you over your shoulder. When I was playing I worked for hours and hours and hours just working on my weaker foot. In the end I could control, shoot and pass equally well with either foot, I did favour my dominant foot for dribbling though.

I would agree with this, it is certainly the most technically difficult.

Walking around The Emirates on Saturday, I saw a large mural depicting a picture of Martin Keown, fists clenched and a caption at the side written by a fan:

"Early on in Arsene Wenger's tenure I went to a game at Blackburn and Arsenal were having a hard time of it. Blackburn won a corner and Keown felt that a number of his team mates, who shall remain nameless, weren't quite at it. He gripped one of them by the throat and within earshot of us travelling fans bawled ' look like you want to play for The Arsenal'.

My point is we lack anyone of similar spirit or commitment and need some players that need to look like they want to play for The Rovers.

With the exception of Kean, Hanley, Dann and Lowe at Hull the rest didn't appear to give a toss.

Choke? ;)

I guess not Stuart but boy do we need someone of that ilk! Hopefully someone that can play a bit would be an added bonus but for me we are in dire need of some strong personalities on the pitch that command and demand authority.

We have none, they've all been got shut of, we can only surmise as to why but hey, hopefully that's a thing of the past.

Here's hoping it's onwards and upwards.

Ps The Wife's still around and kicking!

Trust me, I am a keen believer in healthy competition for places in the team, but there's going to be a lot of unhappy players in the squad if we bring in two more and get King/Best/Etuhu and Henley fit once more.

That's a very strong indication that Appleton doesn't rate some of the big name players that he has inherited.

He has already said that he likes working with smaller groups of players that are high in quality. If he's looking to bring players in to areas that we already ok in numbers-wise, then that strongly indiciates he really doesn't rate some of them.

Judging by selections so far, combined with his comments about squad size, I guess he's looking at a core of....

Kean, Usai

Orr, Henley, Dann, Hanley, Rekik, Martin

Bentley, Pedersen, Williamson, Lowe, Murphy, NEW, Markus, King, NEW

Rhodes, CKR, Campbell, Best

Pretty much two for every position there (if you count Williamson as cover in defence as Appleton said), perhaps being a bit top-heavy on the wings. Maybe Markus will be surplus once King returns.

It does leave the likes of Givet, Henrique, Nunes, Dunn, Etuhu, Gomes, Goodwillie and Robinson in the cold. That's an expensive group of players nowhere near the first team.

That's a very strong indication that Appleton doesn't rate some of the big name players that he has inherited.

It's a point I made in the Williamson thread, he doesn't trust anyone outside of the core players that you mentioned above. And quite rightly so, minus perhaps Gomes who hasn't really done anything wrong. Time will tell, but as you say, we certainly have a group of expensive bench boys!

On the core players, I guess it's a nice problem to have a lot of options. But for example the more I think about it, the more I think that DJ & Rhodes can't play together, while CKR will kick up one almighty stink should he be benched when Best is back and (hopefully) firing. It will be interesting to see how Appleton plays it when everybody is fit.

Of the players he has inherited, only the defenders and Rhodes have really shown that he can trust them. Number one culprit has again been Murphy, who should be setting an example.

I'd say his biggest problem is a lack of ambition. Murphy's spent most of his career in the PL, where's his incentive? (other than the 30,000 he has every week). We need players who are hungry to play in the top flight.

Even Marodonna couldnt dribble with two feet, in fact the only player I ever saw do that with the outside of the foot was a winger called Willie Henderson at WBA and if you could shoot and pass with either foot, dribble with both feet, then I congratulate you, you must have been a pro unless you were slower than a 70 year old!!

F

Read what I said again, I was strictly a right side dribbler, running the ball with either foot is the hardest skill. Besty could do it though and Tom Finney.

Do you mean Willie Johnson at WBA

Thats the one, my old age, we could do with someone like that now, great player!!

There was a Willie Henderson who played for Rangers and Scotland in the sixties. He was a pretty good right winger, quick and tricky. I think he had a brief spell with Sheffield Wednesday at the end of his career. My memory tells me Willie Johnson was also a pretty good left winger however as with most left footed players he seemed to favour his left foot. I could be wrong , it's a while ago now. He was the one who was sent home when Ally's army tried to invade Argentina in the 1978 World Cup.

Archived