BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Deadline Day

Tom

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rent a Rover, wonder how many loan players we will have in our starting 11 next season?

Well the precedent has been set. You only have to look at Udinese B Watford. They are, what, third in the league?

Dave jones from Wigan will be a decent addition though.

Only 45 mins in but full marks for your insight.

Christ!, just shows how far we've fallen when we're looking at hand-me-downs from Wigan Athletic. :(

And none for yours.

One of the worst players I've seen in a City shirt. I wouldn't insult Stewart by comparing him to Andrews.

As a barometer of our recent progress, if you take N'Zonzi out of the equation Jones looks to be our best midfielder since Andrews left. :(

More second division low-rate Championship plodders: perfect for the Venky's inspired new-era post-Allardyce Rovers.

Well after seeing a MoM performance albeit for just 45 mins you might be made to eat your words soon. I certainly hope so. That was the best debut by a player who joined the club the same day since Colin Hendry in the FM Cup in '87.

His positivity lifted the whole team.

And he covered more ground and put in more tackles in 45 mins than Murphy has done in any single season since he left Crewe!

Could anybody ever see Murphy leaving an opponent prone and in a crumpled position after a 50:50 like Jones did? That Posh player must have wondered what hit him after facing Murphy for 45 mins.

Well after seeing a MoM performance albeit for just 45 mins you might be made to eat your words soon. I certainly hope so. That was the best debut by a player who joined the club the same day since Colin Hendry in the FM Cup in '87.

sorry, best debut for a player was brett emerton vs wolves, scored 2 i think and made a couple

• Backroom

Well the precedent has been set. You only have to look at Udinese B Watford. They are, what, third in the league?

Don't forget Norwich and Stoke who were promoted with half-a-team of loans :)

Aren't there some caveats around that rule?

A maximum of 5 loan Players (Standard, Emergency or Youth) can be named

in the Players listed on a team sheet for any individual match played

under the auspices of The League. This figure shall include any

additional loan of a goalkeeper approved by the Executive under the

provisions of Regulation 54.

Cryer is saying he cannot see Jones joining us permanently in the summer. Doesnt think he'll join a championship club.

I'd be surprised by that. I don't see the point of bringing in a player on loan if it they are unlikely to join us permanently for next season. It's all about planning for next season now.

• Backroom

If we had beaten Peterborough yesterday we still would have been in with a very faint shout of the playoffs.

Obviously, now, that dream can be put to rest. It's a small mercy to the fans, at least, that Jones should keep Murphy out of the team until the end of the season.

In my opinion, loans are the way to get out of this league, providing you get the right players, Jones may be great at Championship level but there is a reason Martinez isnt playing him at Wigan.

Blackpool got to the Prem with a number of loan players, Watford have been mentioned, when and if you get promoted, you can build a Prem squad not a squad full of Championship players, someone close to the club mentioned that the transfer deadline deals were done late intentionally as it was believed by some that DJ Campbell and Thomas may not be the answer in the Premier League, plus of course, we already had Best, Rhodes, Gomez and Richards as strikers!!

Thomas works very much off his pace, he will be 31 next and his pace will start to wane, in the premier League, he would need that pace even more!!

That doesn't mean the Wolves game wasn't his debut. I was there that day, everybody played well, Wolves were crap.

My point applied only to players signed the same day. Keith Fear is another that springs to mind. Best debut proper that I can rem off the top of my head was prob Alan Shearer's at Crystal Palace.

Archived