BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers pull plug on Ladies Super League dream

footypix

Blackburn Rovers yesterday told the Women's squad that the club will not fund the application for a place in the FAWSL 2, despite promising them funds & approving the application. The players feel betrayed and let down by the club and the owners

With 10 games to go in the season, it's likely a major exodus of 1st team players is likely to occur.

whether the team will continue to play beyond the end of the season, is unclear.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blackburn Rovers yesterday told the Women's squad that the club will not fund the application for a place in the FAWSL 2, despite promising them funds & approving the application. The players will betrayed and let down by the club and the owners

With 10 games to go in the season, it's likely a major exodus of 1st team players is likely to occur.

whether the team will continue to play beyond the end of the season, is unclear.

Out of interest what would the cost have been?

Something was said at the last one on Monday night Majiball. Footypix briefed us at the pre-meet last week.

On Monday the club said that they had not reached a decision on applying for WPL2 but were planning to by the end of the week - applications have to be in by next Monday. Whilst it wasn't said that they would not be applying I got the impression that this was a distinct possibility. The club did state that the issue was not financial but more logistical i.e. the amount of resources needed to put in a proper application and the timescale. They also said that whatever the decision that they would continue to support the women's team financially in the future. There also seemed to be a feeling that the women's team needed to grow in a sustainable way i.e. not too quickly.

The last time the club failed to apply for the WSL 1, the majority of the 1st team left and as result the team was relegated.

The players feel let down, especially as they have been playing for nothing and not even receiving travel expenses. The team has 10 games left, but i expect several to have left before Sunday's game v Forest. Many stayed this season on the promise of a WSL bid, when they had better offers elsewhere.

Something was said at the last one on Monday night Majiball. Footypix briefed us at the pre-meet last week.

On Monday the club said that they had not reached a decision on applying for WPL2 but were planning to by the end of the week - applications have to be in by next Monday. Whilst it wasn't said that they would not be applying I got the impression that this was a distinct possibility. The club did state that the issue was not financial but more logistical i.e. the amount of resources needed to put in a proper application and the timescale. They also said that whatever the decision that they would continue to support the women's team financially in the future. There also seemed to be a feeling that the women's team needed to grow in a sustainable way i.e. not too quickly.

Well done for voicing concerns.

The reasoning however sounds like a load of as per normal especially after reading below:

The last time the club failed to apply for the WSL 1, the majority of the 1st team left and as result the team was relegated.

The players feel let down, especially as they have been playing for nothing and not even receiving travel expenses. The team has 10 games left, but i expect several to have left before Sunday's game v Forest. Many stayed this season on the promise of a WSL bid, when they had better offers elsewhere.

Can't help but think Venky's include shrinking as a form of growth.

Places in the top 2 leagues in Women's Football are closed to new clubs (no promotion or relegation).

Rovers will be stuck in minor-league football and won't be able to attract any players of quality. If they produce any good players through the clubs CofE then these will just be picked off by the bigger, wealthier clubs....for FREE....

Has anyone bothered to actually READ this post?

Yes it contradicts footypix's comments that the players were promised this would happen. It then says that it's not money but logistics, obviously they aren't an issue as it stands now, so how much of an issue can it really be? The resources required to put in an application that they promised before the season started are obviously of the same scale as signing a player on dead-line day. Yes they will support the team as they currently do and since the players don't even get expenses or paid, it's basically a sunday league set-up and this is how they wish it to remain / decline. With applications being closed it's clear they don't value the team in anyway as running the whole thing probably costs less than one month of Murphy's wages.

Yes it contradicts footypix's comments that the players were promised this would happen. It then says that it's not money but logistics, obviously they aren't an issue as it stands now, so how much of an issue can it really be? The resources required to put in an application that they promised before the season started are obviously of the same scale as signing a player on dead-line day. Yes they will support the team as they currently do and since the players don't even get expenses or paid, it's basically a sunday league set-up and this is how they wish it to remain / decline. With applications being closed it's clear they don't value the team in anyway as running the whole thing probably costs less than one month of Murphy's wages.

the current budget for this season is £35k.. By not even applying (when clubs like Yeovil & Colchester are) BRFC is basically saying it no longer wishes to be part of the FA's plans to turn women's football into a semi-professional sport.

By applying, the club would be saying it is committed to developing the FA's plans for women's football over the next 10 years. If it got turned down, fair enough they tried. Not applying, in my view is just not good enough. The chances of holding major Women's games, like an FA Cup final or an international game are probably gone for good.

Has anyone bothered to actually READ this post?

Yes. It refers to a position on Monday. Footypix post refers to a position on Tuesday.

There's a certain amount of hypocrisy attached to being horrified by the club's decision if people don't follow or attend the ladies matches but it still shows a lack of class from the club.

Sounds like they've said one thing to the FF and another to the ladies team.

I'm disappointed for the ladies involved but more worryingly, maybe this is a pre-cursor to what will eventually happen to the men's team...

From a business point of view, do the Ladies team bring in more money than they spend? I very much doubt it. Hence, a very good business decision.

The Men's first team is making losses and it would just be stupid to continue to fund the Ladies' team knowing full well that money will not be recouped anytime soon.

From a business point of view, do the Ladies team bring in more money than they spend? I very much doubt it. Hence, a very good business decision.

The Men's first team is making losses and it would just be stupid to continue to fund the Ladies' team knowing full well that money will not be recouped anytime soon.

How are you expanding the brand if you are to abandon the opposite sex from playing under your banner.

I guess it comes down to whether they think the ladies game will become a big thing or not. Perhaps a lack of prestige.

But if football clubs were run from a business perspective, there wouldn't be any football at all. Even the few that are well run wouldn't exist because they'd have no-one to play against!

I can accept that Rovers Ladies were never the best, but they played with pride in the shirt and it's the club that has let them down badly. The majority of the players will no doubt move on, as players do and not give a thought to what is left behind.

But as a supporter, I can't move onto another club. I can't move away from the club and support another team. It doesn't work like that.

The club will never be able to work it's way through the leagues and win promotion to the top league. This decision has denied them that chance, they have virtually said that they are happy with being mediocre....they've basically given up.

With 10 games to play, how does the manager motivate (himself for starters) and a group of amateur players who don't want to be at the club anymore.

They are all ambitious players, who want to play at a higher level. Those that stay and play for the rest of the season, are basically in the shop window for clubs to watch and sign in the summer. Whether, the manager wants to stay is another matter.

The club never asked the people of Blackburn and the county as a whole, whether not they wanted a semi-professional women's team playing the FA WSL. It's a real kick in the teeth, as I can't get to many Saturday home games. After 30 years as a Rovers supporter this is probably the end for me.

Archived