BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Millwall [H]; 13/3/2013. F.A. Cup Quarter-Final Replay

I was sat in the seats next to the Rovers bench on Wednesday night, and the most worrying thing was not once did Appleton and co either comment about or try and stop the long balls that Shittu was dealing with so easily. Infact he was encouraging it with words such as well done scotty/lowey etc, which I found pretty unbelievable.

Very reminiscent of the Kean era.

The image that sticks in my mind is when there is a break in play the opposition all come over to the bench for drinks and instructions from the manager, whereas our team just stand there in the middle with Appleton looking on helplessly.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not wanting to make excuses for last night, because it was poor, but last night showed how exposed we are at the minute (in particular in the cup!)

Obviously not 100% fit - Martin Olsson, Marcus Olsson, King, Dunn, Best

Injured - Orr, Bentley, Kazim-Richards, Etuhu, Williamson

Cup Tied - Jones, Stewart, Campbell

Frozen Out - Robinson, Givet, Murphy

Loaned Out - Rochina, Formica, Rosado

I wonder how this lineup would have fared last night?

Robinson

Orr - Dann - Hanley - Givet

Bentley - Jones - Murphy - Rochina

Kazim - Campbell

+1. I think some forget that the club is full of walking wounded right now. Injuries and inherited fitness levels have not been kind to MA.

You need to have a nap, you're starting to sound like Gordon.

Not wanting to go over old ground, but simply the fans played no part in gettng rid of West Hams manager, simple as that, it was a business decision, nothing more, nothing less, allegedly a crook and needed moving out.

The problem, GAV, is that Jim and Gordon are right.

I think it was a business decision in the sense that Sam wouldn't entertain many of the players that Venkys and their advisors wanted to sign. Hence sack Sam and put Kean in charge and then we sign who we want. Sam would never have tolerated some woman in India trying to tell him how to do his job. From that point on every decision that Desai has made has been a disaster for the club.

Despite the stick Sam sometimes gets, he had something we sorely lack- character and strength of will.

I very much believe if Agnew, Shaw and Singh (we can make an interesting acronym out of that!) are shown the door AND if the owners can swallow their pride and bring back JW (or at least Finn) we can get this mess turned around.

Very reminiscent of the Kean era.

The image that sticks in my mind is when there is a break in play the opposition all come over to the bench for drinks and instructions from the manager, whereas our team just stand there in the middle with Appleton looking on helplessly.

Couldn't help admire Kenny Jackett and his enthusiasm and passion into context when a Rovers player was caught offside (think it was Jordan Rhodes) the Rovers bench offered a) unlucky Jordan b ) moaned to 4th official despite it being blatant. A Millwall player strayed offside in the second half and Jackett was livid with the player and said "what the f*** are you doing going offside there" or something along those lines.

Can't get Wednesday night out of my mind (nor last Sunday). The manager is not taking any public responsibilty-for this latest run of winless matches on his watch IMO. He seems to has been allowed to bring in his own backroomstaff- thus, the tactics and player selection are down to this regime-not a previous one. Match comments in pressers are disappointing- comments like "we are where we are" and "it is what it is" and some confusing statements about defeats hurting but not hurting enough leave me cold. He is being paid to set up, motivate, organise and create, yes create, a winning team that scores goals-not just one that plays it tight against each opponent-whatever the level- hoping for a defender mistake or the occasional set piece to come off. Millwall as lower positioned Championship team- should have been wary of us-not the other way around. No wonder so few turned out-folks are not going to fork out £18 for a corner or two. Get a grip Rovers.

The reason is that Jordan Rhodes is currently a square peg in a round hole. An enigma.. a fox in the box but a passenger out of it. We are setting an ill suited set of players to play 4-4-2 just so that he can be a tart liner.

Might be harsh on a lad who has scored most of our goals but it's true. If he doesn't get on the score sheet he may as well have been sent off in the 1st minute. I've noticed of late that he has developed a selfish streak too by refusing to lay off the ball to better placed teammates.

I've a feeling he thinks he's made it in football so imo it's boot up the arse time. There is no 'i' in team. When the others finish training he needs to be sat down for an hour every day in front of a video player watching clips of Suarez, Torres, Rooney, Keegan and Shearer. Even better goalscorers and infinitely better players.

Very harsh IMO.

Rhodes is a goal machine and we are watching the confidence drain out of him with every game.

We should be setting up a team to get the best our of him - excuse the pun. CKR was a great partner for him (although better in the hole / free role than wide left) but Best doesn't have that ability to keep the ball.

I shouldn't worry too much though, he'll be at another Championship club come September...

Very harsh IMO.

Rhodes is a goal machine and we are watching the confidence drain out of him with every game.

We should be setting up a team to get the best our of him - excuse the pun. CKR was a great partner for him (although better in the hole / free role than wide left) but Best doesn't have that ability to keep the ball.

I shouldn't worry too much though, he'll be at another Championship club come September...

You miss the point being made Stuart. Forget about the rest of the team and concentrate on the strikers, Rhodes is a goalscorer and nothing else. If he doesn't score, he adds nothing to the team. I think we would be better off with two front men who can both link up play, score 10 -15 goals each, but make us a better side through being able to hold the ball, turn and run at defenders while bringing in other players as well.

Very harsh IMO.

I'll await your team selection and tactics then Stuart. Many moaned that he was left isolated up front, feeding off crumbs and that we needed wingers to provide the ammo for him to fire. Well we've played any number of wingers and he's looked worse.

imo he's lost form and should be rested on the bench. The psychology alone will work wonders on all the strikers too. Best and CKR should gain confidence whilst Rhodes will be brought down to earth. If he is the character that I think he is (from observing him only) it should revitalise him.

I've seen it all now, drop our 21 goal striker!

We only create one or two chances a game at best under Appleton therefore it would be absolutely suicidal to drop our our striker most likely to convert from such pathetic service.

Drop Rhodes and we might as well agree to be relegated. Apart from him, how many times have we scored in the League under the clueless Appleton?

I'll await your team selection and tactics then Stuart. Many moaned that he was left isolated up front, feeding off crumbs and that we needed wingers to provide the ammo for him to fire. Well we've played any number of wingers and he's looked worse.

imo he's lost form and should be rested on the bench. The psychology alone will work wonders on all the strikers too. Best and CKR should gain confidence whilst Rhodes will be brought down to earth. If he is the character that I think he is (from observing him only) it should revitalise him.

I thought I made me team selection in the very next post. CKR is injured though. Perhaps Best could drop a little deeper?

Perhaps a break would do Rhodes good though, yes. But as soon as Appleton drops rests him, he will get hammered.

We only create one or two chances a game at best under Appleton therefore it would be absolutely suicidal to drop our our striker most likely to convert from such pathetic service.

Drop Rhodes and we might as well agree to be relegated. Apart from him, how many times have we scored in the League under the clueless Appleton?

Maybe Jordan deserves a break right now for his own good, just to allow him to recharge his body both physically and mentally. Got to agree with the other guys in that i'd go for CKR and Best up front right now if they were both available.

Whoa - I've not suggested Rhodes should be dropped, I'm simply trying to argue that his lack of creativity means others around him - and the team suffer because of that. When he doesn't score, he offers very little and absolutely nothing comes from up front. TBH, when he does score he offers little as far as the general team performance is concerned.

• Backroom

Whilst I wouldn't drop him at the moment and we don't have the options to offer an alternative you could argue that with another more industrial striker in his place we would create more chances, just a shame we had to lose the yak!

He isn't infallible and even with a lack of service he's been wasteful with the ball recently but as said before he's more likely than anyone to take a chance should he get it

The two week break will do him good as he looks worn out

Rooney was dropped last week wasn't he rev? Fergy deemed his performances had waned so he was dropped. Rooney got a typical scouse monk on but it made no odds and sent out a very strong and positive message to the entire squad.

Some of you are building up what was a Newcastle squad player to be the answer to our recent goal drought Leon Best is not yet fit nor going off his previous record is he prolific goal scorer.The problem is Appletons tactic of big boot up field no passing forward and a useless midfield who are either to slow or not skilful enough to retain possession,I would personally fine Grant Hanley every time he booted the ball aimlessly up field which if this was the case he would receive little or no pay you would need Jordan Rhodes on Leon Best shoulders to get anywhere near the long balls out of defence I am sure Jordan Rhodes wonders what the hell is going on with this tactic as am I and most of the Ewood crowd.

But without Rhodes we might create more chances. Effectively we're trying to create chances with 10 men because he does sod all in build up play.

Rooney was dropped last week wasn't he rev? Fergy deemed his performances had waned so he was dropped. Rooney got a typical scouse monk on but it made no odds and sent out a very strong and positive message to the entire squad.

Fergie wouldn't have dropped him if his other options were, Best, Campbell or King.

Rooney was dropped for tactical reasons. Real's heartbeat is Xavi Alonso, who operates off the back four. He feeds Ronaldo and Ozil.

RFW's tactic was to cut the supply line to the Real forwards and to do that he had to make a choice: Wellbeck, Rooney or Hernandes to sit on Alonso. It is well recognized in Manure that Wellbeck was best suited to this role. For the sake of the team and the tactics, Rooney was dropped. It was working until the sending off.

So here we are. The Appleton way over the last month - maybe due to injuries - is hoofball. If he intends to play that way on Sunday, Rhodes will be chasing shadows again for 90 minutes. Different tactics call for different types of player. Unfortunately, Rhodes has not evolved his all round play to adapt just yet to hoof. I'm hopeful he will but right now he is not suited to Rovers crappy style. Unfortunately, we don't have Manure's options, so he will probably play. I feel sorry for him.

A few days later and i am still feeling sick as a dog. A life changing event for the club a chance for players and supporters to have something in the last few years to be remotely proud about and we flush it down the sh%$er. To beat Arsenal away and lose to Millwall at home. I am still getting cold sweats. And if that was not bad enough, I would have been in the country to see it. Sorry but we tried Shebby style and it did not work, we have gone Shebbyless and adopted dynamic duo style and we are heading for relegation. WTF lets go for broke and get Hughes or Adkins.

Archived