BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

Amazing that someone of his pedigree and (former) quality can dominate virtually every thread as a consequence of how badly he has been playing.

I did wonder whether he would become a problem based on his dismissive comments about Appleton immediately following his appointment.

Let's face it, he's been a disappointment all season but I don't think any if us could have imagined what a bad example he'd set to those players he's supposed to be leading.

I can't remember the last time a player was so roundly booed at Ewood Park - and not by a minority given the low crowds.

Can he possibly come back from this? Is anyone likely to take him off our hands? I wonder how much it's going to cost us to pay him off?

Once again the recruitment policy under Kean has come back to bite us.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

He must be stripped of the captaincy. In doing so this would send out a clear message to the rest of the squad that laziness and apathy won't be tolerated. Throw Murphy along with Orr into the reserves for the rest of the season and sort them out during the summer. God knows how we shift Murphy on the ridiculous wages we're paying him, but something has to be done because he clearly does not want to play for Blackburn Rovers.

Couldn't make the game yesterday, just how bad was the booing of Murphy then? How did he react?

He needs his inflated ego knocking down a considerable amount of pegs and dropping immediately.

Thought Appleton's comments yesterday were refreshing if i'm honest and he's clearly referring to the likes of Murphy here:

"Does it hurt them that much? There's certainly a lot of players in that
dressing room that are hurting at the minute but I'm not convinced it's
all of them."

I'm never comfortable with players getting the treatment he got yesterday, but as I've said before, that's the way it is. He has got to either improve his performances or make way for someone else. i can't see his performances improving TBH, simply because he hasn't got the legs any more. Thus, option number two beckons.

I don't know about inflated ego because for me he looks mentally shot and has done most of the season. He very quickly realised what he'd let himself in for after the first few games in this league and added to the fact he knows his legs are going his head went down and has stayed down apart from the odd brief rally. He was another who looked far more comfortable under team GB. Maybe he had more input off the pitch then and his nose has been pushed out again now so perhaps it is ego but i don't know why anyone would purposely display that bad attitude and open themselves up to abuse.

I'm never comfortable with players getting the treatment he got yesterday, but as I've said before, that's the way it is. He has got to either improve his performances or make way for someone else. i can't see his performances improving TBH, simply because he hasn't got the legs any more. Thus, option number two beckons.

The trouble is he could potentially sit back with the reserves, semi-retire and just pick up his wages. On the face of it, he seems to have done exactly that whilst featuring on the pitch for the first team.

He has nothing left for him in his playing career so if the fans turn on him, so what.

Expensive reserve player though.

How long before he gets an 'injury' I wonder...

• Backroom

I'd rather he just got "injured", even if a fake one, and sat out the rest of the season. He will do far less damage away from the club than on the pitch, where his lack of energy contaminates the rest of the team.

Fulham fans warned his legs had gone when he signed for us. The best players who slow down as they get older compensate by using their footballing intelligence - Murphy's inability to paper over the obvious cracks in his game point to the fact he wasn't a particularly talented player in the first place.

Couldn't make the game yesterday, just how bad was the booing of Murphy then? How did he react?

He needs his inflated ego knocking down a considerable amount of pegs and dropping immediately.

Thought Appleton's comments yesterday were refreshing if i'm honest and he's clearly referring to the likes of Murphy here:

"Does it hurt them that much? There's certainly a lot of players in that

dressing room that are hurting at the minute but I'm not convinced it's

all of them."

I was in the Riverside and it was a mixture of booing and angry shouting, it was quite hostile. Murphy looked dejected, demoralised etc.

I was in the Riverside and it was a mixture of booing and angry shouting, it was quite hostile. Murphy looked dejected, demoralised etc.

Please tell me you aren't blaming the fans.

This is the fans reacting to Murphy, not the other way around.

I've never booed a player but Murphy is teetering on the brink. Yesterday I cheered him when he finally didn't lose possession and actually found one our team with a pass. Sadly less than a minute later he'd reverted to type.

I really do think he is the worst player of 'stature' we've had in the Premier League era, replacing Darren Peacock. (He's not the worst overall as there have been some terrible fringe / loan players. )

I don't know why clubs don't just send these sort of players on expensive contracts cross country running or get them doing bleep tests everyday until there may come a point when they tear up their own contract and walk away instead of the club bowing down and paying up the contract. Pick up some pub team manager from pleasington to monitor them, when they don't train (run) they get fined, and keep them away from the squad and academy teams at the same time.

I don't know why clubs don't just send these sort of players on expensive contracts cross country running or get them doing bleep tests everyday until there may come a point when they tear up their own contract and walk away instead of the club bowing down and paying up the contract. Pick up some pub team manager from pleasington to monitor them, when they don't train (run) they get fined, and keep them away from the squad and academy teams at the same time.

Seriously liking this line of thinking!

Please tell me you aren't blaming the fans.

This is the fans reacting to Murphy, not the other way around.

No I'm not Stuart. I understand the anger and have witnessed some poor displays from him. However, some of the aggression directed at Murphy yesterday was a bit much for me.

Personally I'd play Peds, Lowe, Williamson, CKR, Bentley, Jones in center mid before Murphy. Be interesting to see who plays CM against Millwall as Jones is cup tied.

Makes Keith Andrews look like Usain Bolt.

Shoddy player, lax attitude, shirker and disinterested. @#/? off.

Keith Andrews?

I'd snap your hand off all day long right now.

At least he put the graft in.

No I'm not Stuart. I understand the anger and have witnessed some poor displays from him. However, some of the aggression directed at Murphy yesterday was a bit much for me.

Personally I'd play Peds, Lowe, Williamson, CKR, Bentley, Jones in center mid before Murphy. Be interesting to see who plays CM against Millwall as Jones is cup tied.

Fair enough. I don't think it would have been nearly as bad though if we weren't already 3-0 down.

• Moderation Lead

Keith Andrews?

I'd snap your hand off all day long right now.

At least he put the graft in.

Keith Andrews put the graft in???? Do me a favour!!

I can remember countless occasions where he ducked out of challenges and even went in half-heartedly at times. He's literally no better than Murphy at all.

Keith Andrews put the graft in???? Do me a favour!!

I can remember countless occasions where he ducked out of challenges and even went in half-heartedly at times. He's literally no better than Murphy at all.

You could never question his comittment but he lacked ability and speed of thought. The fans were on his back before he signed which eventually ground him down. Murphy does not have that excuse and FULLY deserves the criticism. Hopefully come the end of the season he calls it a day.

Danny Murphy has looked disinterested in most of his appearances, his heads down his shoulders slumped, plays way too deep and he doesn't seem to have any fire in his belly.

I've watched him dictate many games for Fulham in the past but now he just doesn't seem to have the legs or desire to lead by example. I've never booed him but can't really blame those that do. Very, very poor so far and he most definitely shouldn't be wearing the armband.

I think the difference between Murphy and Andrews is that Keith was trying his best and wasn't good enough, whereas Danny should easily be good enough, certainly for this level, yet doesn't seem to be trying.

Archived