BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Murphy

He also compared him to Tugay, which is an even bigger crime!

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/blackburn_rovers/news/9791309.print/

“Why can’t Danny achieve what Tugay did? He can pass the ball like him and Danny plays a similar vein. If he can be our new Tugay I would love that because he was the type of player who got fans off their seats.”

Sacrilege! Pure and simple. The only people who can pass anything like Tugay all play for Barca! The only bit that has an element of truth is that Murphy can indeed get bums off seats.... more and more people are not going and of those that do a fair percentage get off their seats to either hurl abuse at the useless fecker or leave early, either way Murphy has indeed got lots of bums off seats.

I thought he was going to boss this league. I must know nothing then.

donner.... mate :wacko: If he could ever boss a league why would he have waited until he's thirty bloody six to do it?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair point but playing vast majority of his career in the Premier League with a decent amount of plaudits I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in thinking he was going to be at least fairly successful here.

Tell you what though these comments involving Tugay are tantamount blasphemous. If I had a pitch fork I would wield it and I'm not kidding.

Agreed.

Think there were quite a few of us who thought the signings/deals for Murphy and Etuhu were very bad business.

Yep, although i was more optimistic about Etuhu than Murphy.

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I'm watching the United-Real game.

I know he's a far superior player technically but Ryan Giggs is 4 years older than Murphy and turns 40 this year but he is absolutely all over the pitch tonight.

Making last minute challenges in defence, to popping up on the wing for a lay off (seconds later), to being a fulcrum in attack (moments after that).

Ok, I doubt he'll last the full match but he puts our Danny Boy to shame in terms of work rate.

Ok, I'll be the first to admit I'm watching the United-Real game.

I know he's a far superior player technically but Ryan Giggs is 4 years older than Murphy and turns 40 this year but he is absolutely all over the pitch tonight.

Making last minute challenges in defence, to popping up on the wing for a lay off (seconds later), to being a fulcrum in attack (moments after that).

Ok, I doubt he'll last the full match but he puts our Danny Boy to shame in terms of work rate.

What's the point of comparing Giggs to anyone? He's a once in a generation player.

Most players' legs go by early - mid thirties. Once it happens they go into dramatic decline. The real issue in all of this was giving a 35 year old a hefty 2 year deal.

What's the point of comparing Giggs to anyone? He's a once in a generation player.

Most players' legs go by early - mid thirties. Once it happens they go into dramatic decline. The real issue in all of this was giving a 35 year old a hefty 2 year deal.

Don't be a wise guy - as pointed out - I was talking about work rate. A man five years younger has no excuse in that regard.

Don't be a wise guy - as pointed out - I was talking about work rate. A man five years younger has no excuse in that regard.

I'm not, I genuinely don't see the point.

Giggs puts far better players than Murphy to shame.

Guest Norbert

Well it seems that Murphy has been a negative influence in the dressing room if the various rumours are to be believed, and his apparent lack of effort and attitude on the pitch has at times rubbed off on the other players. In the long run, knocking this big time Charlie down a peg or two will help team coheisiveness.

I know someone who had to leave the Peterborough match early.

Listening to the end of the second half on the radio whilst driving down the M6, they saw Danny Murphy drive past.

I am pretty sure he was sat sulking in the technical area next to Bentley for the whole of the second half.

I am pretty sure he was sat sulking in the technical area next to Bentley for the whole of the second half.

Fair enough if he was. Thought it was a bit strange if he did, as I'm sure the manager wouldn't have allowed him to leave.

Guest Norbert

Hmm, maybe there are two 'Danny Murphys' one who has been a pretty good player, and his lookalike who is hopeless and as mobile as Steven Hawking on a harley davidson. Perhaps his lookalike has been 'playing' whilst the real Murphy turns up for training occaisionally and collects his wages.

Michael Appleton has warned there will be no more bumper swansongs for senior players at Blackburn.

And in a move to shake up the squad, the manager has taken the club captaincy off 35-year-old Danny Murphy.

Defender Scott Dann has taken over as skipper and has the armband for today’s FA Cup quarter-final against Millwall. The decision puts the future of former Liverpool star Murphy in doubt, having joined Rovers from Fulham last summer.

Appleton said: “I want to take the club in a different direction. I don’t want this club to get a reputation of being a last payday for some players. We want hungry players. Danny and I had an honest conversation. It wasn’t easy, as he’s a good guy. But I told him we have to be sensible.”

It seems we got the Charlton version of Murphy not the Fulham one. Made even worse by the fact his legs are gone. Charlton fans hate the guy and you can see why if he was anything like he has been here. Had it far to easy here being put back in the team with a pat on the back by various people in the hotseat everytime he's been briefly dropped. Good riddance, i hope they offer him half his remaining money and tell him to go or go on gardening leave.

Incredibly strong stuff from Appleton, not sure if I can ever remember a manager be as scathing in public about a player like that.

Could work well if Murphy is unpopular within the dressing room and not so well if he is well liked etc.

Indeed, although, just for the sake of discussion, I wonder if the more important factor is how popular Dann is. I think, in any work environment, the hardest workers command the most respect. I do admire the fact that he generally puts a shift in (a few exceptions, of course) and I think his performance vs Arsenal is testament to that. But who can really say what the majority of the squad is motivated by? I'd like to think that the desire to win and a competitive streak is what has got those individuals to the point where they play football for a living, succeeding where thousands of kids have failed. These are, in a broader sense, elite athletes. Logically that edge has to be there, but it'd be anybody's right to question that logic, given the standard of some performances this season.

Nevertheless, group psychology is a very powerful thing, especially in competition and I hope that this change sees a shift in the squad's mentality, for the better and, indeed, I'd wager that it will.

according to Alan Nixon in the Sunday People Murphy will leave Rovers in summer with us paying up his contract

Another waste of money from the Kean era. Great work if you can get it.

Oh, and I wonder who's footing the bill?

Another waste of money from the Kean era. Great work if you can get it.

Oh, and I wonder who's footing the bill?

Rovers are. but good to see the owners backing Appleton with his plans. his comments today about Rovers will not become a club for people last payday of the footballing career. good and refreshing to hear.

Listening to the end of the second half on the radio whilst driving down the M6, they saw Danny Murphy drive past.

Very, very unlikely, it would have been the first time he's gone past someone all season.

By the sound of things I doubt we'll see him in a Rovers shirt ever again. Good.

Archived