BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gary Bowyer

Would you give him till the end of the season?

I personally thought we played great football under him, whilst the lads really enjoyed playing. Dann and CKR - you could see the joy in their faces which i haven't seen under Appleton.

I'm not advocating an anti appy campaign but i just think if he did go, Bowyer is the man!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He'd probably bring back Murphy.

We are stuck with Appleton and have to hope he comes good - although his comments after today's game make me think he's losing the plot.

Wonder if he's met those targets all Rovers managers have?

No, he managed to instill a seige mentality and get the players giving their all in every game, but that was never going to be sustainable.

The problems at this club are bigger than the manager. I'm saying that Appleton's definitely the right man, but I can't see how changing the manager again this year can be anything other than counter productive.

Personally I think there is a good chance of this. Two or three more defats and Appleton will go and more likely than not Bowyer will get the nod. Can't see us going back out into the market without giving him a good crack. We are lucky to have someone in the wings who looks like he can do a job if we change managers (again....!).

I don't think 4 games against average teams is enough proof to show he'd be any better

It's obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that we were infinitely better under Bowyer than Appleton.

The answer to the initial question, "Would you bring him in?" has to be a resounding "Yes" surely.

Whether he would do it or not is a different matter. But we ought to be crawling over broken glass to try to persuade him.

Then reassess the situation in summer.

If Bowyer wouldn't do it, perhaps we should sit tight and cross our fingers and toes until the end of the season. But can't see any long term benefit to keeping Appleton even if he keeps us up this season. He'd probably sell our better players, bring a load more crap in on loan and we'd be relegated next season having scored about 30 goals.

• Backroom

What's Singh got to do with it?, not his appointment, time to point fingers elsewhere to the ones that have already been helped by the side lining of Singh

Their all culpable, Singh messed up the big appointment when he took years after Kean went and then appointed Berg when there were much better options and we were still a semi attractive prospect to some managers. Shaw and Agnew messed up the second appointment. We'd be better off if they all left.

Having said that as revidge said I don't see how anyone could do worse tactically than we currently are doing.

Their all culpable, Singh messed up the big appointment when he took years after Kean went and then appointed Berg when there were much better options and we were still a semi attractive prospect to some managers. Shaw and Agnew messed up the second appointment. We'd be better off if they all left.

Agree with your final point but Berg was a joint decision wasn't it? Personally don't think the driving force behind the Appleton appointment was Shaw and Agnew think it went much further up their chain of command.

Big problem is could we afford to get rid of Appleton to bring Bowyer back in for rest of season, personally wouldn't mind Bowyer being back but think financially it won't happen

Gary Bowyer did a great job as the caretaker manager but didnt he keep saying he didnt want the job full time.

think he see himself more of developing youth players than a first team manager.

We all know that, the question was not should he be appointed permanently, but should he be give another caretaker spell to try and guarantee safety?

I said at the time I would rather he was appointed at least until the end of the season. If we offered him the ame money the current chump is getting I'm pretty damn certain he would have jumped at it.

Appy need the summer to see how he can shape the squad, he inherited a sh!t, unbalanced squad AND we now have 20 players injured from reserve level to First team which has to be some sort of record.

As for Bowyer, he didnt want it, he is more of a "mate" to the players and that is dangerous territory!

• Backroom

Gary would not take on the position full time. He's well aware of the serious difficulties of the job and wants no part of it on a permanent basis (imo).

I'd have more confidence in him guiding us to safety than Appleton in the close-season, though.

Appy need the summer to see how he can shape the squad, he inherited a sh!t, unbalanced squad AND we now have 20 players injured from reserve level to First team which has to be some sort of record.

As for Bowyer, he didnt want it, he is more of a "mate" to the players and that is dangerous territory!

We haven't got the time or luxury to be giving him anymore time beyond this season...

This is critical now and we need to hit the ground running next season with someone with the required capabilities in the hot seat.

The longer we experiment, time will slip by and it will get harder to get out of this league the longer we are in it (presuming of course we stay in it this season!)

Archived