BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Appleton Sacked

Paul

Happy Appy Sacked   

411 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy with Appleton being sacked today?

• Yes
    • Don't Care
    • No

You can't take out the views that you aren't happy with, or use them for your own ends. 27% of posters on here wanted him sacked. End of - unless you have evidence to back up the claims that "most fans" wanted him sacked?

Either way, it's all semantics. Our problems are far more deep rooted than who the next manager is going to be.

I'm not. The view I'm not happy with is those who wanted to keep him. I'm talking about taking out the view that isn't a view. 27% of voters wanted him sacked, we don't know what all posters on here thought. I'd just class those who voted don't care along with those who didn't vote at all. Their vote is meaningless. So to me out of the meaningful votes 105 out of 314 people wanted him out.

Do agree with your last sentence though.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes....., his record was awful, his charisma non existent, dump tactics, 21 players injured??? (bet there's a few back next week), senior players under performing and he made Beckham sound intelligent.

although i dont 'fink' he should of been handed the position in the first place.

I am reliably informed that the LMA along with other senior figures in Football, are now insisting the Football Association take action with regard to the ownership and running of BRFC - it is suggested that their actions are tantamount to bringing the game into disrepute!!

We shall see what happens!!

I am reliably informed that the LMA along with other senior figures in Football, are now insisting the Football Association take action with regard to the ownership and running of BRFC - it is suggested that their actions are tantamount to bringing the game into disrepute!!

As ive said before i think the only way to get rid of Venkys is from pressure from the football authorities , fans pressure doesnt matter to them

Whilst Im sure lip service will be forthcoming they will get a bigger rug and bigger broom then a free friendly at home to Brazil as a thank you

Edit. Although thinking about it now people like the LMA and majority of the papers have decided it's not the supporters fault , perhaps enough time as passed to "tie up any loose ends" and an investigation can go ahead, will be confirmed if certain sky pundits bleat the same investigate line

It's the word "happy" in the question that is out of place, IMO. The question would have been better phrased as "Was it the correct decision to sack Michael Appleton based on the club's current position and form?"

It's also the 'Today' which I feel has skewed the perception that people were happy with Appleton in charge.

I voted 'no' on this pretense. Was I happy with the way things were going? No. Was I happy with the quality of the football? No, but having said that I'd have given him a couple more games. Ithink he did some good work off the pitch (especially alienating Shebby & dropping Murphy). The basis for the couple of games was due to the international break, I know we have players away, but he'd have been able to at least get some meaningful training sessions in, for this reason, the extra leway.

I'm also in the "sh!t, what's coming next" camp. Would love Adkins, but am expecting Graham Westley (Heaven forbid!)

"fit & proper? You're 'avin a laugh!"

"fit & proper? You're 'avin a laugh!"

It's hardly surprising that the LMA are jumping up and down given that we've sacked two of their members so quickly. Although I've made the point previously that I'm guessing they think it's quite o.k. for Appleton to walk out on Blackpool after a similar number of games.

Whilst it's neither good form nor conducive to long term success on the pitch in my view we're technically well within our rights to sack someone after one game if we see something we don't like and then promptly pay any compensation due under the terms of their contract.

If you sack someone then deliberately don't pay up without a valid reason, that's disgraceful behaviour in my view which could arguably come into the disrepute category.

Someone told me earlier in the week that someone from the LMA came on the radio after Appleton was sacked and said that if we wanted to keep sacking managers that was up to us but we had better start paying them. This chap was under the impression from what was said in the interview that neither Kean nor Berg had been paid what they were due.

I wasn't aware of any remaining issue in that respect with Kean nor have I heard anyone else mention this supposed interview but it was worrying nonetheless.

I can see the argument on both sides.

By wording it as it was you almost might have asked "Are you happy we will soon be seeking our 6th manager of the season?"

On the other hand whichever way it was worded I would still have expected a very different poll result.

I think individuals in the "authorities" would come out smelling as bad as anybody if a full independent investigation was made, hence why they are barely willing to scratch the surface of what's been going on with the club.

I think if the full truth was discovered about all that's happened at rovers, it would call into question a lot of things at many clubs from top to bottom of the leagues plus also managers, coaches, players and officials throughout the game(especially those that regularly are involved with various large independent sporting agencies) and would unfold unprecedented scandal like never before seen in English football.

Or

am I just being paranoid today?

This chap was under the impression from what was said in the interview that neither Kean nor Berg had been paid what they were due.

That is a topic starter if ever I saw one!

As far as I am concerned neither should be due a penny from the club based on their records.... in fact imo the club should seek significant re-imbursement from the former! :glare:

Could be approaching football's 'phone hacking moment'?

Probably not. Where's a Tom Watson equivalent when you need him?

Instead, we have arguments about how an opinion poll question was framed and exactly what per cent of Rovers fans (on this site, only, let's pretend there aren't any others worth the name) actually wanted Appleton out.

Anyone who wants a football manager out (the third of the season) after a dozen games, knowing the vicious ego-driven divisiveness generated by Venky's ownership, deserves what they get as far as I'm concerned.

• Backroom

That is a topic starter if ever I saw one!

As far as I am concerned neither should be due a penny from the club based on their records.... in fact imo the club should seek significant re-imbursement from the former! :glare:

It wasn't Berg or Appleton's fault they were hired, though. If Venky's give a legal contract with compensation clauses for early termination inside they should pay whatever they owe, regardless of performance. The business world in general would be a pretty keany place if your bosses were allowed to judge what you deserved as a pay off based on their opinion of your performance.

From BBC Football Live news feed

BLACKBURN NEWS

Blackburn Rovers have confirmed that Gary Bowyer
will take caretaker charge of the first-team until the end of the
season in the wake of Michael Appleton's dismissal on Tuesday.

A statement released to BBC Sport, read: "The club wishes to
reiterate that Gary Bowyer will again take charge of the first team as
caretaker manager until the end of the season.

"It is important for the club that everyone at the club and
the fans once again show their support for Gary and the first team as we
seek to end the season on a high note."

This is the second time this season Bowyer has taken charge
of the first-team. After Henning Berg was sacked in December, the
reserve-team coach led the team to three wins and a draw in his four
matches in charge only to be abruptly replaced by Appleton.

What do they mean be 'reiterate'? It's the first bloody time they have mentioned Bowyer taking over.

Amateurs

It wasn't Berg or Appleton's fault they were hired, though. If Venky's give a legal contract with compensation clauses for early termination inside they should pay whatever they owe, regardless of performance. The business world in general would be a pretty keany place if your bosses were allowed to judge what you deserved as a pay off based on their opinion of your performance.

Even when you have underperformed on your own promises and estimates? How far is it away from deception cos I'm certain they will all have promised the owners great things which have turned out to be totally false promises?

I can take on someone to build a house for me to my specification by a certain time and at an agreed price with penalty clauses for non delivery and bonuses for improving on the agreed targets so why can't I take on a football manager on the same basis? Players too for that matter. How can these people be regarded as employees with employees rights when they employ their own agents, accountants and legal teams? It's all too much one way. The poor performance of the last three managers have cost the club countless millions but I'd wager they all promised far different in their interviews.

By contrast (something which I favoured at the time) was to pay Hughes a performance related bonus based on league position (rem the placing payments in the prem) and financial performance. Mark Hughes and his team must have made BRFC at least £40m with astute player trading yet the board stood around with their fingers up their arses whilst he went for interviews for better jobs. We should have at least attempted to ring fence him with very lucrative performance related bonuses instead of effectively killing the Goose that laid the Golden eggs by stifling his ambition as John Williams actually did. People revere John Williams because of what has gone on since BUT imo he so so let us down at that time. Jack Walker would have realised his worth and I cannot imagine he'd have let Hughes go quite so cheaply if he had still been around..... maybe why Jack made gazillions from a straight start whilst John Williams no matter how commendable was only ever a hired hand.

Pay-off? In the real world you get a months pay and Kean off......Berg , Appleton and Kean obviously took the job under false pretences so should get nowt.

Dunn has done an interview with LT saying Appleton was the right manager for us and the players were shocked

5000 posts Chaddy, good lad!

Dunnys right in my opinion, Appleton needed more time, he had the balls to make the tough decisions and thats exactly whats required down there. We now have a caretaker manager thats probably been told his first job is to bring back Danny Murphy into the fold, a player that should be nowhere near the first team squad because he’s bloody useless, but its all about money money money. Well I for one won’t be taken for a mug by Singh and his confused mates in Pune, they’ll not see another penny off me this season unless they appoint a top notch manager and the chances of that are slim, very slim indeed.

VENKYS OUT

SINGH OUT

AGNEW OUT

Dunn has done an interview with LT saying Appleton was the right manager for us and the players were shocked

Well if they care to ring me up I'll give em a different version. Mine will be based on facts and team performance!

Just as an aside chaddy how often have you heard players anywhere and at any clubs diss a manager in public? No never mind I'll answer it for you.... you haven't.

Archived