BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next Rovers Manager

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me even a combined management team of Ferguson and Morinho would make no headway whilst the circus behind the scenes prevails.

Pointless to me debating who next as manager until that shower is sorted out.

Unfortunately true.

Just so sad that the snowball which hit the Wankys wasn't a Molotov cocktail. Now that would have made me laugh. A lot.

Just had a text from someone I know who knows one of the players. He says he's had a tip from said player as to next permanent manager.

Won't tell me who it is, (I know who the player is but not Mr. X.)

He could be on a total wind up but also said Mr. X was spotted at the game Sunday. Anyone see anyone?

For me even a combined management team of Ferguson and Morinho would make no headway whilst the circus behind the scenes prevails.

Pointless to me debating who next as manager until that shower is sorted out.

I don't follow this logic.

Appleton was given reign to clear out the players he wanted. He brought his own assistant, coach and chief scout. He was allowed to sign a number of players on loan.

He was the architect of his own downfall. A good manager with the freedom Appleton had will improve things massively.

Just had a text from someone I know who knows one of the players. He says he's had a tip from said player as to next permanent manager.

He could be on a total wind up but also said Mr. X was spotted at the game Sunday. Anyone see anyone?

The Ewood Chicken?

• Backroom

Appleton was given reign to clear out the players he wanted. He brought his own assistant, coach and chief scout. He was allowed to sign a number of players on loan.

He was the architect of his own downfall. A good manager with the freedom Appleton had will improve things massively.

Completely agree. A lot of excuses being made for Appleton that were not being made for Berg.

I presume your on a wind up LeChuck

I can't see how anyone can fail to see the logic.

So the clowns behind the scene are conducive to a positive future are they?

I presume your on a wind up LeChuck

I can't see how anyone can fail to see the logic.

So the clowns behind the scene are conducive to a positive future are they?

You said getting a good manager would be pointless. I completely disagree.

Had Appleton been capable of doing a good job then he was given all the freedom and scope to do so.

If Alex Ferguson took over and was given the same freedom Appleton was, why wouldn't he be a success?

But that's not being close to being a substitute for bringing in your own players. He was picking from a pool of players which other teams felt were totally surplus.

Almost everyone on this board has been saying that the whole ethos of the club has been affected by the last couple of years and something drastic is needed to change our direction of travel.

If we want these problems solved, somebody needs to be given a proper chance to change the culture, and bringing in a few coaches hardly constitutes absolute freedom if you're going to be sacked after 2 months.

havent Rovers appointed Bowyer to the end of the season?

wouldnt be surprise to see Shebby choice appoint this time. he wanted Carlos Queiroz before Appleton was appointed

Completely agree. A lot of excuses being made for Appleton that were not being made for Berg.

Nail-head. A lot of excuses on here and elsewhere for Appleton. Truth is he talked a beaut of a game off the pitch, couldn't deliver on it.

No doubt they'll cock up the next appointment massively, but Appleton will never go on to be a decent manager IMO.

But that's not being close to being a substitute for bringing in your own players. He was picking from a pool of players which other teams felt were totally surplus.

Almost everyone on this board has been saying that the whole ethos of the club has been affected by the last couple of years and something drastic is needed to change our direction of travel.

If we want these problems solved, somebody needs to be given a proper chance to change the culture, and bringing in a few coaches hardly constitutes absolute freedom if you're going to be sacked after 2 months.

We should have been performing better on the field than Appleton could manage.

I still stand by those two peformances against Millwall being the most pathetic I can recall in my lifetime.

We missed out on McCarthy, Holloway and Davies, all of whom would have taken the job. Anyone of them would have had us around the play offs now or at least positioning ourselves for a realistic push next season. Our utterly incompetent and unfit for purpose owners steadfastly refuse to appoint experienced men with their own minds however.

Cant think off the top of my head now who might get the gig but I'm sure serial candidate Alan Curbishley will get a mention. No football man in his right mind would work for Venkys, I have a basic Australian coaching badge for kids and I wouldn't take the job.

I wish that snow ball had been a dozen breezeblocks.

You said getting a good manager would be pointless. I completely disagree.

Had Appleton been capable of doing a good job then he was given all the freedom and scope to do so.

If Alex Ferguson took over and was given the same freedom Appleton was, why wouldn't he be a success?

I didn't say it would be pointless, that would be ridiculous.

What I said was until the nonsense behind the scenes was sorted out, whoever the managerial appointment is will struggle.

Singh, Agnew and Shaw need to go and be replaced by empowered, knowlegable, influencial, strong and passionate personalities.

Jordan Rhodes player manager.....Game plan of getting him service week in week out

Whoever comes in needs the common sense to appreciate Rhodes is the only quality here and make everything central to him.........Appleton seemed to make everything revolve around the dross in our team

We should have been performing better on the field than Appleton could manage.

I still stand by those two peformances against Millwall being the most pathetic I can recall in my lifetime.

Agree that things have been pretty dire, but I'm not having that Appleton takes full responsibility because he's been able to bring in some coaches and a few players in on loan.

Time would have told if he was a decent manager or not, but at the very least he seemed to be able to diagnose what was going wrong on the field and in the squad as a whole and didn't get the proper chance to do anything about it.

After considering today's events my feelings once again on this are I don't disagree in theory with the fact Appleton wasn't doing a particularly good job, neither do I really think he was the right man, as I didn't with any of our previous venkys managers. However, it is once again the boardroom that needs sorting first, we need a clear direction and decision makers in place for the long haul, then we need to appoint a manager with experience who is given the free reign to rebuild a club, to put a style of play throughout the club in place, to put his staff in place and to buy and select HIS players, then they must back him for at least 2 seasons.

I didn't say it would be pointless, that would be ridiculous.

What I said was until the nonsense behind the scenes was sorted out, whoever the managerial appointment is will struggle.

That's a very watered down version compared to your original post, I wouldn't have responded to the above. You used the phrase "no headway" after mentioning and Ferguson and Mourinho and said it was "pointless" discussing the manager with the current setup.

I still think if a good manager was put in the position Appleton was - i.e. control over transfers and backroom staff, then that is enough for them to be a success. Crazy owners can have periods of success if they have the right manager and give him enough freedom. Appleton had that he just turned out to be @#/?.

Agree that things have been pretty dire, but I'm not having that Appleton takes full responsibility because he's been able to bring in some coaches and a few players in on loan.

Time would have told if he was a decent manager or not, but at the very least he seemed to be able to diagnose what was going wrong on the field and in the squad as a whole and didn't get the proper chance to do anything about it.

I wouldn't say full responsibility because he was cleaning up two years worth of mess, I know that.

But I'm absolutely certain that there are good managers who could have been put in his shoes and made a success of it. Therefore, I also believe that a manager given the same freedoms as Appleton could be a success, even with the clowns above.

Look at Nottingham Forest. Owners every bit as loony as ours, but Billy Davies is a very good manager so things are going well on the pitch.

Billy Davies is a bit of a red herring as he knows that club inside and out. Would be similar to us bringing Hughes back. He is someone the Forest got behind straight away.

Whether you think Appleton was good bad or indifferent the lack of planning is amazing. Shebby placed in charge pushes Kean appoints Berg. Berg struggles so Venkys let Shaw have a do he sacks Shebbys man and brings in Appleton. Appleton struggles Venkys turn to Shebby who sacks Shaws choice. Anyone see a pattern here??

Good clubs have everyone pointing in the same direction. We sadly cant even decide on a direction. No hope till they sell I'm afraid.

One good thing to come out of this is that Nigel Adkins is now available. His was the first name I thought of this morning after receiving the first of several texts following Appleton's departure.

He fits the bill perfectly. Young, ambitious, experienced (relatively), intelligent and has played the game. He would probably have to be given a lucrative contract and time to complete the job here, given he would be working for the lunes. Would said lunes or their lackeys have the nouse to realise Adkins is the man?

Despite Venky's we are still (just about) a high profile club but we won't be for long. Football management is a complete merry go round at the moment and full of second and third rate candidates. Adkins is one of very few exceptions to that. Let's see if anyone inside Ewood knows how to go about getting him.

Archived