BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tugay- best rovers midfield ever

• Backroom

The greatest footballer I've seen in our shirt. I'm not sure I'll ever see better.

People only ever talk about the goals and the passes, but my favourite moment (the longest substitutions in history aside) was the Liverpool game at Ewood where he put Gerrard on his arse stood still.

I've never seen it again but it's clear as day in my mind's eye.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The greatest footballer I've seen in our shirt. I'm not sure I'll ever see better.

People only ever talk about the goals and the passes, but my favourite moment (the longest substitutions in history aside) was the Liverpool game at Ewood where he put Gerrard on his arse stood still.

I've never seen it again but it's clear as day in my mind's eye.

Mike, try this one.  Might or might not be the one but worth a watch

• Like 1

I remember at the time it seemed to be a case of "why didn't we sign Berkovic" and "who is Tugay?".

Boy, did we soon find out. It was an honour, Toogs, an honour.

It's never going to happen, I know, but I'd love to hear Tugay's honest views on what this lot have done to our club. Morten was pretty scathing in relation to the Spiv and it felt like he had a lot more to say on the matter. Duffer, a few years back, talked about it being sad seeing the state that the club was in. I'd like to think there's more.

Back to Tugay though...that lofted through ball to Andy Cole at Loftus Road, which Cole buried past Van der Sar 👏. I've watched that goal back so many times and the pass gets better each time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

I remember at the time it seemed to be a case of "why didn't we sign Berkovic" and "who is Tugay?".

Boy, did we soon find out. It was an honour, Toogs, an honour.

It's never going to happen, I know, but I'd love to hear Tugay's honest views on what this lot have done to our club. Morten was pretty scathing in relation to the Spiv and it felt like he had a lot more to say on the matter. Duffer, a few years back, talked about it being sad seeing the state that the club was in. I'd like to think there's more.

Back to Tugay though...that lofted through ball to Andy Cole at Loftus Road, which Cole buried past Van der Sar 👏. I've watched that goal back so many times and the pass gets better each time.

https://www.otbsports.com/soccer/damien-duff-on-mark-hughes-1046609
brief mention by duffer 

• Like 1

Thinking back about the best players to wear a Rovers shirt in my lifetime, I got it down to four---Douglas, England, Shearer and Tugay. You could probably add  Clayton to that list.

I tried to put them in order but an impossible task. A privilege to see any of them, let alone all 4 at this unfashionable old club of ours.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

That's quite right. We were all annoyed that Berkovic had gone for someone we'd barely heard of! Then there was his age! I remember thinking "he can't be much good, we only paid a million for him!"

That was the best £1 million we ever spent---possibly the best £1 million any club ever spent!

And he bonded with us as if he'd known us all his life! Sheer Turkish delight from start to finish!

On 25/08/2022 at 07:28, 47er said:

Thinking back about the best players to wear a Rovers shirt in my lifetime, I got it down to four---Douglas, England, Shearer and Tugay. You could probably add  Clayton to that list.

I tried to put them in order but an impossible task. A privilege to see any of them, let alone all 4 at this unfashionable old club of ours.

Friedel is up there with any of them, easy to forget about a goalkeeper but considering we got him on a free, surely he's the best transfer deal we've ever done?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Friedel is up there with any of them, easy to forget about a goalkeeper but considering we got him on a free, surely he's the best transfer deal we've ever done?

Well that's true! It is easy to forget keepers and he was the best.

• Like 1

Tugay and Friedel were my heroes growing up, as far as football went anyway. Now I'm older I realise how lucky I was to grow up in that Souness-Hughes era. We might not have achieved the heights of the 90s but it was wonderful fun, nothing like welcoming Man United and Arsenal to Ewood and knowing you had a very fair chance of getting at least a point; seeing us lift the League Cup and make two FA Cup semis; watching the likes of Friedel, Neill, Emerton, Short, Todd, MGP, Savage, Tugay, Bentley, McCarthy, RSC every week... 

Edited by GHR
  • Like 2