BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Blackburn Rovers vs Huddersfield Town, Tuesday 16 April, 19:45

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't expecting that. That was the best performance from a rovers side that I've seen for a long, long time. Maybe we're not at the "champaigne football" stage yet, but the application from every player deserves applause. Kane was excellent, as we're Dann, and Williamson. Williamson was the difference between winning or not winning tonight. I thought Jones did an excellent job as well, playing for the most part out of position. Rhodes did exceptionally well also - running himself into the ground. He was out on his feet during the last few minutes. He'll, even Olssen caused them problems.

As for Givet, what can you say? The man is sheer class and the question has to be asked. How could Rovers afford to leave him out of their side all season? Another legacy of the rat that is Steve Kean. To think that some of our fans back managers when they start to criticise a players "attitude"! Put the "attitude" to one side and if they're good enough, get 'em on the park.

For the first time we didn't sit back on the edge of the area and concede possession, we came out to battle in the middle of the park and won that battle. Just like good teams do.

Went home having, for the first time in a long time, actually having enjoyed a Rovers performance.

Edited by den

A candidate for MOM tonight for me.

I thought there were five or six candidates for MoM.

What a difference putting that extra bit of effort makes. Not only does it give the team a better chance but it also lifts the crowd.

I think we can put up with a lack of skill but not lack of effort.

Well done GB for getting that performance out of the players, a bit of pride was restored to the shirt.

If we could get Kane on loan next season then Kane/Henley at full back (I'm guessing Martin Olsson will leave) would be quite a combination. Liking the sound of Williamson too - one thing that we can thank Appleton for.

If anyone stood out as MotM yesterday (although it could've been any one from four or five) it was Kane. Nineteen years old and his attitude has put plenty of seasoned professionals to shame this season.

Whatever happened to Venky's dream of taking us down to The Blue Square League? It's all going horribly wrong.........

I know. Bowyer's got to worried about getting the job permanently at this rate. He's just not playing ball, in both spells he looks like he's buggered up the grand plan for this season.

• Backroom

Seems like Bentley, Martin Olsson and Bradley Orr will come back into contention for Watford game.

After Watford game we will also have Kaz and Hanley back, so its alot of competition for places.

When is Henley and Etuhu back?

Based on last night's performance the only players I'd consider bringing back into the first team is Kaz and Henley. Bentley, Martin Olsson, Orr, Hanley and Etuhu can either sit on the bench or do a Danny Murphy and disappear.

Enjoyed it last night for first time in ages, actually felt like a proper football match with an all round battling performance giving us something to cheer for once. Pitiful home turnout again but atmosephere was good, 2nd half in particular. As has been said we are winning the midfield battles now and that's been missing and a major problem all season. The likes of Williamson know what it's all about in this division and Jones puts it about as well to be fair. If stay up i'd try and get Kane on a season loan if possible.

Based on last night's performance the only players I'd consider bringing back into the first team is Kaz and Henley. Bentley, Martin Olsson, Orr, Hanley and Etuhu can either sit on the bench or do a Danny Murphy and disappear.

I'd start with the same team at Watford, wouldn't change anything unless it's forced. The only thing i'd do is put Kaz on the bench if available and i'd bounce Pedersen out the door !

Edited by tomphil

Markus Olsson was one of our weak links, I still haven't seen him cross accurately that I can ever remember. Swap him for his brother.

Anyway:

Sandomierski - A couple of decent saves when needed. 7/10

Kane - Caught out of position once or twice again but good energy. 7/10

Givet - Outstanding, we should try and keep him. 9/10

Dann - Solid again, and part of another clean sheet. 8/10

Markus Olsson - No composure, has pace to get him out of trouble but technically lacking. 5/10

King - A real threat IMO when he was driving through their midfield at pace. 8/10

Williamson - So composed yet assertive with it. Very impressive, MOM. 9/10

Lowe - The weak link in the midfield but yesterday we got away with it due to the good performances around him. 5/10

Jones - Very comfortable on the ball if very left footed. I'd slot him alongside Williamson. 8/10

Best - Rusty but did provide a threat at times. 6/10

Rhodes - Superb finish and worked hard, but did little bar the goal. 8/10

Pedersen - A liability with his careless passing when he came on. 5/10

Goodwillie - Very sharp, made some superb runs and occupied defenders. 7/10

Dunn - Often went for the difficult option. 5/10

I think all those asking why Givet hasn't been in the side need to remember his performance against Blackpool. Also Hanley and Dann have had a fairly good season.

Possibly play him at left back - but then it restricts the teams attacking ability - and many have questioned the wisdom of playing jim at left back.

Having said all that - full credit to Givet to putting contract issues etc to one side and putting in a performance. Also - do we need to congratulate GB in his man management skills ?

If we could get Kane on loan next season then Kane/Henley at full back (I'm guessing Martin Olsson will leave) would be quite a combination. Liking the sound of Williamson too - one thing that we can thank Appleton for.

We can thank Appleton for recognising that the players were unfit and couldn't last a full 90 and getting them working hard in training. Evidence was there last night, we had more chances in the last 10 than we usually have in a whole game.

As most have said on here, last night's performance was the best this season by a country mile. Maybe not for the quality of football on show, but certainly for the effort put in by all, and for once I mean 'all'.

My main highlights from last night are:

Todd Kane - Outstsanding, ran Williamson very close for MOM, never shirked, despite harsh early booking & full of running. Please put a cheeky bid in with Chelski for this guy, hopefully they might not realise what a gem they have with all the foreign stars there. If not, definetly try for season long loan.

Lee Williamson - the fact he pipped Kane to MOM says everything. Was the subject of some pretty rough treatment at times & got on with it. Excellent.

Scott Dann - finally came of age last night if you ask me. I don't know if it was playing alongside Givet, but he was superb.

Gael Givet - Looked rusty for 15-20 (understandably) but got in his stride and was the warrior we know & love.

Rhodes - Looked much more comfortable playing with King & Best as he had someone to knock the ball down to & lay off to. Was his usually boring self & just had to put the ball in the net!. ;) Ran himself to the ground!

Best - looked sharper than last couple of games, much improved effort. Long lay-off so will still reserve judgement. Brought a good save from their keeper in 2nd half.

King - Terrifies defenders when he runs at them, Hudders doubled & sometimes trebled men on him. Just needs to learn how to distribute it better.

Goodwillie - Never thought I'd ever write this, but looked really sharp when he came on. Distribution excellent, harassing defenders, efforts at goal.... I'd consider giving him a start at Watford on that showing

All in all, left Ewood happy. Moreso with the performance than the result but the 3pts was the most important.

My little-un is still 'unbeaten' in her first season (4 Wins & a draw), 100% JR scoring record & came out with the comment of the night walking up Livesey Branch - "Daddy, why didn't we sing the Burnley B**stards song tonight?"

After pissing myself laughing I just said "Don't let your mum hear you say that!"

(There's no way she's saying 'Burnley' in my house!) :lol:

I think all those asking why Givet hasn't been in the side need to remember his performance against Blackpool. Also Hanley and Dann have had a fairly good season.

Possibly play him at left back - but then it restricts the teams attacking ability - and many have questioned the wisdom of playing jim at left back.

Having said all that - full credit to Givet to putting contract issues etc to one side and putting in a performance. Also - do we need to congratulate GB in his man management skills ?

Yes I think we do......Taking it all round and allowing for the very difficult circumstances he has had to operate under, I would say Gary Bowyer has produced the best managerial performance we have seen since Allardyce was so disgracefully thrown out. GB most certainly deserves to be considered for the position on a permanent basis, and in a fair competition with any other candidates that are daft enough to want it. (And I don't think there will be too many of them either).

Edited by Fife Rover

Pretty much certain he'll be gone.

Contract up and gagging to go home,

It was obvious after last nights game that he thought that would be his last Ewood appearance. He really took his time leaving the pitch, almost the last player off. He went to all four stands and applauded which is something he doesn't usually do.

As a side note, how bad is our pitch, I can't remember so many bobbles and uneven bounces of the ball. It needs some serious money spending on it this summer.

Cue the Rao's toddling out of B&Q with an economy bag of Feed and Weed!

Have'nt we still got the same head groundsman we've had for years ? he must be pig sick going to work

everyday, seeing that pitch and having to keep patching it up.These guys take a real pride in their work.

It was obvious after last nights game that he thought that would be his last Ewood appearance. He really took his time leaving the pitch, almost the last player off. He went to all four stands and applauded which is something he doesn't usually do.

As a side note, how bad is our pitch, I can't remember so many bobbles and uneven bounces of the ball. It needs some serious money spending on it this summer.

are you sure it was the pitch and not the inability of our players to control the ball

:D:lol:

Have'nt we still got the same head groundsman we've had for years ? he must be pig sick going to work

everyday, seeing that pitch and having to keep patching it up.These guys take a real pride in their work.

You're right, we used to get awards for the state of our pitch. In the past even half way through the season it still looked pristine.

Ipswich Town's Portman Road pitch was always one of the best in the country from what I remember, yet watching the Football League Show last Saturday it looked in a sorry state.

Must be Global Warming / start of the next Ice Age. Whichever side of the fence is in vogue this week.

Sounds like you have a lucky charm (and a proper rover) on your hands there, Windy! Get her a ST dammit! :P

I think I might have to! Even given the amount of dross she's had to watch, she's hooked. Reminds me of myself at her age. Only problem is her dancing classes usually clash on a saturday - I'll have a word with her dance teacher & see if she'll change em! ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.