BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Blackburn Rovers vs Huddersfield Town, Tuesday 16 April, 19:45

Tuesday sees Huddersfield Town make the sideways step across the Pennines to Ewood Park. Although we found the term “divisional rival” strange when the Huddersfield fans used to frequently use it, arguably they have been our main “divisional rival” this year due to us occupying the same sort of position in the table throughout the year, firstly at the top, then mid-table, and now down the bottom.

HuddersfieldTownCrest.png

History

Not as good as ours. Still impressive though. They were formed in 1908, and in that time have mostly played in the top two divisions, recently being promoted to the Championship after an 11 year absence. They were the first team to win the First Division three times in a row (which has since been replicated by Arsenal, Liverpool and United), which they did so in 1923/4, 1924/5 and 1925/6. They were also runners-up in the following two seasons. They’ve won the FA Cup on the one occasion, after a 1-0 victory against Preston in 1928. Incidentally, they knocked us out along the way that season, after a 1-1 draw at Ewood, we went back to their place and got pumped 5-0 in a third round replay. They also knocked out Burnley in the first round. We got revenge though as we beat them 3-1 in the final in 1928. They’ve also reached another 3 finals on top of those two, in 1920, 1930 and 1938, losing to Villa, Arsenal and Preston respectively.

Our overall record against them is – Played 72, Won 29, Drew 23, Lost 20. And at Ewood it’s – Played 36, Won 17, Drew 12, Lost 7. Our last game against them at home was a 3-1 victory in the League Cup in 2005. Bellamy scored twice, Khizanishvili scored his first goal for us, and it was the game before our victory at Old Trafford that season.

_40837674_pedersenjoy203.jpg

Manager

Mark Robins, formerly manager of Rotheram, Barnsley and Coventry, became their manager on February 14 of this year following the sacking of Simon Grayson. Since his appointment, they've played 12, won 4, drawn 2 and lost 6.

Mark-Robins-Huddersfield_2903287.jpg

Players

James Vaughn is apparently world-class according to everyone’s favourite Huddersfield fan. Although he’s only scored 9 goals in 29 league games for them this season. In fairness, in a great deal of those games he was probably stretchered off after 5 minutes. Apart from him, Jermaine Beckford can be a real handful on his day, their left back Dixon is solid, and also from what I’ve seen, the Northern Irish international, center-midfielder Oliver Norwood is a good player, as is a winger they have called Sean Scannell.

Common links

Jordan Rhodes used to play for them. Did enough there to command an 8 million pound transfer fee. Is he worth that much? Probably not, but he was to them, with his goals they probably would have finished mid-table, instead they could be going straight back down.

Their former manager Simon Grayson also played for us. Anthony Pilkington was on our books as a youngster before later signing for them. Our third highest score in the Premier League (I think) Kevin Gallacher also had a brief stint there in 2002. Can’t find anyone else, maybe others can name some more.

Another common link is their fans also hate Steve Kean, due to a perceived tapping-up approach made by him in the media when attempting to buy Rhodes. So fair play to them for that.

Forgot I had agreed to write this and therefore haven’t had time to speak to any of their fans, so I've put this up now regardless as I imagine people are “anxious” to start discussing the game. Questions and answers from their fans will appear here in due course as I'm just sorting that out now.

On the one hand, they’ll be fighting for their lives, although it's important to remember they are down the bottom for a reason. They have the worst goal difference in the league, -24, with a key reason for that being the 45 goals they have conceded on the road. Their away record in the Championship is played 21, won 7, drew 3, lost 11, scoring 22, conceding 45. However, anyone can truly beat anyone, especially in a 6 pointer such as this so things like this often go out the window. Victory at Wolves on Saturday proved they’re not going down without a fight. I’ll don’t really like the term “must-win game” apart from games when you literally have to win, such as the Wigan game at home last year, but this is definitely our most important match of the season in terms of trying to stay up.

Favoured line-up

----------Sandomierski

Kane---Dann---Givet---Rekik

King---Dunn---Jones---Martin Olsson

----------Best---Rhodes

Prediction

2-1 Rovers. Rhodes with the winner. COYB!!!!!

_65263309_pa-15516536.jpg

View full article

Edited by Salgado Is A Hero

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huddersfield's goal difference is beyond awful, worst in the league at minus 24. We should be able to get two or three past them but it's damage limitation at our end. We could struggle without Hanley, Givet should be in to replace him.

Another unattractive game with us scraping it 3-2.

Going to the game and it will be the last of the season for me.

I can honestly and openly say that I havent missed Ewood at all this season. I have been to more away games than home and if truth be known I have enjoyed my match days doing other things. As it currently stands I have no intention of purchasing a season ticket next year and it will take a major change to even make me reconsider my stance.

Back to Tuesday, I think Rovers might just sneak this game.

Anyone thinking Lowe can play CB makes me shudder, so Bowyer and co dont even think about it. He cant head a ball let alone pass it. GIVET HAs to be put alongside Dann, nothing else will do.

A very tense night is in store Rovers to take it by the odd goal.

Great preview, Salgado. Probable line up:

----------Sandomierski

Kane---Dann---Rekik---Morris

Stewart---Dunn---Jones---King

----------Best---Rhodes

I don't see why he'd change a winning team any more than he has to.

I'd expect to see the same team as yesterday, except King in for CKR and Givet or Rekik for Hanley. If Martin Olsson is fit, then him for Morris too perhaps.

I don't see why he'd change a winning team any more than he has to.

I'd expect to see the same team as yesterday, except King in for CKR and Givet or Rekik for Hanley. If Martin Olsson is fit, then him for Morris too perhaps.

You are probably right, it seems that changing teams is something managers in rovers don't appreciate much.

The problem, however, is the fitness of those players.

Markus Olsson can probably be back, he already returned to training. I don't think Martin Olsson will be back soon...

History

Not as good as ours. Still impressive though. They were formed in 1908, and in that time have mostly played in the top two divisions, recently being promoted to the Championship after an 11 year absence. They were the first team to win the First Division three times in a row (which has since been replicated by Arsenal, Liverpool and United), which they did so in 1923/4, 1924/5 and 1925/6. They were also runners-up in the following two seasons. They’ve won the FA Cup on the one occasion, after a 1-0 victory against Preston in 1928. Incidentally, they knocked us out along the way that season, after a 1-1 draw at Ewood, we went back to their place and got pumped 5-0 in a third round replay. They also knocked out Burnley in the first round. We got revenge though as we beat them 3-1 in the final in 1928. They’ve also reached another 3 finals on top of those two, in 1920, 1930 and 1938, losing to Villa, Arsenal and Preston respectively.

They won the FA cup against PNE in 1922. In 1928 they were soundly thrashed by the Rovers 3-1

Concerns about the 2 who are suspended for this one. CKR is unpredictable and very often useless but he is probably the 1 player who has looked dangerous on occasion this season so we could do with him. At centre back it must be Rekik (who has been useless at full back) or Givet (who hasn't played for months). Presuming Givet has been frozen out for non-football reasons it will probably be Rekik. If Udders have any sense they'll be knocking balls into our box from all angles with an inexperienced keeper and a centre back pair who haven't played together before it could be mayhem. They are in far better form than us as well and have big Jason Beckford up front.

The season so far comes down to this. A win and things are looking good, lose and we're back in the kean. We've had some under performing players from Hudds over the years. Alan Gilliver, John Coddington and that guy who made Jason Wilcox look like Gareth Bale , the one and only Brian Hill.

Come on! When everything kicked off at 3-00 on a saturday everywhere, Gilliver gave us the first goal of that season in the leagues anywhere. This was at Ewood and that is now history. Maybe history is unfortunate but history is the one and only thing that cannot change! Then again I can remember Coddington taking a penalty which was terrible, the ref blew because of an infringement, he took it again and result was same. Seem to remember he ran from the centre circle to hit the ball both times, What joy?

Come on! When everything kicked off at 3-00 on a saturday everywhere, Gilliver gave us the first goal of that season in the leagues anywhere. This was at Ewood and that is now history. Maybe history is unfortunate but history is the one and only thing that cannot change! Then again I can remember Coddington taking a penalty which was terrible, the ref blew because of an infringement, he took it again and result was same. Seem to remember he ran from the centre circle to hit the ball both times, What joy?

:lol: Now that's an image.

team will be Sandomierski; Kane, Dann, Rekik, Morris; Dunn, Lowe, Williamson, Jones; Rhodes, King

What a dire, uninspiring bunch this lot looks. Sad days.

How many millions of pounds have Rovers @#/? up against the wall to come up with a team like that?

Great preview Salgado.

Edited by JAL

Concerns about the 2 who are suspended for this one. CKR is unpredictable and very often useless but he is probably the 1 player who has looked dangerous on occasion this season so we could do with him. At centre back it must be Rekik (who has been useless at full back) or Givet (who hasn't played for months). Presuming Givet has been frozen out for non-football reasons it will probably be Rekik. If Udders have any sense they'll be knocking balls into our box from all angles with an inexperienced keeper and a centre back pair who haven't played together before it could be mayhem. They are in far better form than us as well and have big Jason Beckford up front.

is this an ironic comment after Dean Saunders called him Darren Beckford? just in case people are still confused its Jermaine Beckford. Still though big Darren/Jason did net two well finished goals against Wolves.

Hows your back 4 looking?

I don't remember Gilliver scoring the first goal of the season at Ewood. He may have sorted the first goal of the season after we got relegated in 1966 but that game was at Derby County.

I remember the Coddington penalties very well. He'd never taken one for us before. He started his run on at goal on around the edge of the centre circle and ran in like Jimmy Anderson. I thought " this one will either burst the net or end up in Darwen ". When he got to the ball he weakly side footed the ball straight at a bemused Palace goalkeeper who never moved !

For some reason the ref told him to take it again. I couldn't believe it when he did exactly the same thing with exactly the same result ! I've never seen anything like it before or since.

Later on the ref gave us another penalty ( he must have had us down as a home win ! ) and Eamon Rogers calmly scored that one.

The team that day -

Barton

Newton Wilson.

Clayton, Coddington, Hole.

Ferguson, Rogers, Martin, Gilliver, Connelly.

sub Ben Anderson.

It's amazing when you look at that team that they let Coddington get anywhere near the ball for that penalty.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I don't remember Gilliver scoring the first goal of the season at Ewood. He may have sorted the first goal of the season after we got relegated in 1966 but that game was at Derby County.

I remember the Coddington penalties very well. He'd never taken one for us before. He started his run on at goal on around the edge of the centre circle and ran in like Jimmy Anderson. I thought " this one will either burst the net or end up in Darwen ". When he got to the ball he weakly side footed the ball straight at a bemused Palace goalkeeper who never moved !

For some reason the ref told him to take it again. I couldn't believe it when he did exactly the same thing with exactly the same result !

Later on the ref gave us another penalty ( he must have had us down as a home win ! ) and Eamon Rogers calmly scored that one.

The team that day -

Barton

Newton Wilson.

Clayton, Coddington, Hole.

Ferguson, Rogers, Martin, Gilliver, Connelly.

sub Ben Anderson.

It's amazing when you look at that team that they let Coddington get anywhere near the ball for that penalty.

Yep but Gilliver first goal, seem to remember it was the Darwen end, not sure what year but sticks in the mind? Maybe an ageing thing?

Yep but Gilliver first goal, seem to remember it was the Darwen end, not sure what year but sticks in the mind? Maybe an ageing thing?

You've got me thinking now. I'm pretty sure we scored the opening goal of all the leagues in the 68-69 season. That was v Derby at Ewood but Eamon Rogers scored that one from the penalty spot.

I liked Gilliver, he was a real trier but you could see he was handicapped by the slipped disc. I used to go to the same osteopath that treated him, I'd done my disc as well.. This guy told me Gilliver had decided to have a disc fusion as a last resort and he'd lost a lot of movement in his lower back as a result of that treatment.

You are probably right, it seems that changing teams is something managers in rovers don't appreciate much.

The problem, however, is the fitness of those players.

Markus Olsson can probably be back, he already returned to training. I don't think Martin Olsson will be back soon...

We'll just have to see, I guess.

With regards to Martin though, I imagine he wouldn't need to be back in training for long before he can play matches. An eye injury will prevent him from playing games or taking part in team practice, but won't prevent him from staying fit. So once cleared to play, he should go straight back into the squad. No idea about the time frame though, I just recall it being said ahead of the last game (or the one before that?) that both Olssons were close to returning. Not really the most predictable injury I'd imagine.

when all said and done it`s a scrap now and we need a bit of everything to go our way, luck of the bounce, ref decisions and maybe even that bit of extra quality from our players(a few do possess it!). we had all this against derby and now have to hope for similar against huddersfield too irrespective of the team line up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.