BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Rovers v Palace

Rovers v Palace: Saturday 27th April 2013 - KO 3pm

Who could forget our introduction to the PL, 15th August 1992. It was at Palace's ground, but introduced the mighty Shearer, unleashed onto an unsuspecting Blackburn public, two belters in a 3-3 draw. We actually lost the return fixture 2-1, Roy Wegerle netting for the Blues. How we could do with someone with the heart of Shearer now. The same result on Saturday could see us going to Birmingham needing a win (obviously I write this prior to the Millwall game). How times have changed. We finished fourth that year, Palace third bottom. We haven't really played Palace much. 33 times in the Football League, counting this season, and we are 16-12 down in wins. Ripley also made his debut in that match, Henning Berg in the Ewood match. I was still in my 20s then......nostalgia....what a load of old news.

Who could forget our introduction to the PL, 15th August 1992. It was at Palace's ground, but introduced the mighty Shearer, unleashed onto an unsuspecting Blackburn public, two belters in a 3-3 draw. We actually lost the return fixture 2-1, Roy Wegerle netting for the Blues. How we could do with someone with the heart of Shearer now. The same result on Saturday could see us going to Birmingham needing a win (obviously I write this prior to the Millwall game). How times have changed. We finished fourth that year, Palace third bottom. We haven't really played Palace much. 33 times in the Football League, counting this season, and we are 16-12 down in wins. Ripley also made his debut in that match, Henning Berg in the Ewood match. I was still in my 20s then......nostalgia....what a load of old news.

Well.....down to business, a few facts about Palace:

One of the clubs nicknames is The Glaziers, due in no small way to the origins of the first stadium they played in. Football was is its infancy when Britain hosted the Great Exhibition of 1851. The Crystal Palace was at its centre, a magnificent glazed building, big enough to fit in two football pitches! The Government of the day allowed the club to use the space afterwards. Hence the name of the club, Crystal Palace....the first ever fully under cover stadium. They remained in situ until a fire destroyed the structure in 1936. Of course this also provided the blueprint for West Hams tenancy in the Olympic Stadium! Who'd have predicted that!

The team decamped to the London Borough of North Southwood, where they have remained ever since. Selhurst Park is a bit of a sh*thole to be honest, I've been. It holds over 26,000, but it's still too big, it's never full. They have a bloody great Falcon on their crest, hence another nickname, The Falcons!

Palace are currently managed by that cheeky cockernee chappy, Stanley Holloway. Stan, or Ollie, as he likes to be known (I know that's confusing and reminds you of Laurel and Hardy, but to my knowledge they have never managed Palace) is a right laugh. Best known for his roles in the Ealing comedies of the 40's & 50's, such as Passport to Pimlico, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Titfield Thunderbolt (no laughing at the back, they were simpler times). He got the job by accident, he fell down the terrace steps whilst under the influence during a very boring game v Dingles some years ago. He had to be treated by the club doctor, claimed he'd played many times for Bristol Rovers, and bam, within two months was managing the club!). The original Dr Doolittle bamboozles anyone that will listen with his witty banter.

Unlike us, they haven't won much. No Pl titles, no Div 1, no FA Cups. We do share the passion however of both having won the prestigious Full Members Cup.

They did lose 9-0 to our 6-fingered friends in 1909, The Sun must have had headline fun with that, all the 9's & 0's.

Indeed their largest ever attendance was also against the inbreds, 51,801 in 1979, although The Official DIngledome history records they took 48,000. Both coaches in Burnley were mobilised according to eyewitnesses. They all fit on, and still hold the Guinness World Record to this day.

I tried to confirm this with Ticketmaster earlier today. Unfortunately, after waiting for 45 mins on hold, time I will never get back, their representative informed me they didn't exist in 1979 and what was the point of my call. Not booking anything through them again.

I was going to do one of those popular Q&A sessions with some witty Palace fans, but as I don't know any, in fact I have few friends, I bailed on that.

So, what can be gleaned from all this nonsense?

As Palace are fifth, and we are not, neither of us can go up automatically whatever the result on Saturday. That's two things we have in common!

Whilst I cannot confirm or deny the voracity of the above facts, what I do know is this could be my last match at Ewood for a while. I boycotted Coco following relegation, and came back when he left. I thought we might get a well travelled, experienced captain at the helm. What we got was Sheriff Shebby, the bumbling buffoon who has delusions of grandeur, who hijacked the ship and is sailing it into Divison 1. His bosses continue to confound all reason, and we are currently waiting for the buffoon to trap up and discipline shelf builder. The whole sorry shebang rumbles on. It doesn't matter which team you support, and I have been watching Rovers over 30 years, so am no glory hunter, you just want a well run club punching their weight, sometimes even above it.

I have had enough of Venkys Rovers for now, I want my Rovers back. A team that competes, that is paid realistic wages, that we can see busts a gut for the sake of each other and for us.

I hope we don't need to win on Saturday, and that the team does something it didn't against Watford tomorrow at Millwall, gives 100%, if they do, we as fans can't ask any more.

COYB's, Venkys out!

View full article

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the season started when Holloway was appointed Palace manager they'd be 10th. Not counting the game against us as he didn't do anything then. I don't rate him (would still love him here) so this is certainly winnable.

Stopping Zaha and Bolassie would be a start.

They're currently two points ahead of 7th place but with a game in hand. With an away game against Millwall and a home tie against a P'boro side who've lost 1 in their last 10 to come, they'll certainly be looking for all three points.

They haven't won in 7 games, have lost more away matches than us this season, and only Ipswich and Bristol City have scored less on the road.

-----------Sandomierski

--Kane---Dann---Hanley---?

Kazim---Williamson---Jones---?

--------Rhodes---Goodwillie

I don't know who to play left back. Is Martin Olsson back? I'd like to see him on the left wing but we'd need his pace against Bolassie and Zaha as they switch. They would probably have the beating of Givet due to his lack of pace. Maybe not actually, but he didn't look right against Watford.

If Martin O is available I'd probably play him with Pedersen in front of him. Peds is good at covering when the LB gets forward. I doubt we'd see Nunes who I think could offer us something.

Edited by Salgado Is A Hero

• Backroom

If as expected we get beat tomorrow then this will be a very nervy one

They are the better team but we need it more, if our players actually turn up we'll have a good chance of winning

0-2 then

Have really good and bad memories of playing Palace down the years, mainly bad. What about the 5-4 game back in about 89, and when a Mickey Droy header punctured another promotion push sometime in the mid-80s. I can still hear his roar when he thundered it in at the Blackburn End. Selhurst Park is of course a place of nightmares for us older Rovers fans so at least it's not down there.

can see us winning 1-0 after a game so dire that we won't even be bothered to boo by the end of it.

Clever move this. It will keep the ruffians away from Agnew and Shaw who, along with Singh should the target of all our angst in the absence of the Indians.

Presumably £12 in JW Upper wings?

Moving seats from wings to central hasn't been an issue so far this season.....!

I hate palace

Glad All Over and Courtney Abbey, never to be forgotten or forgiven!

Still haunts me to this day.

Edited by darrenrover

If the season started when Holloway was appointed Palace manager they'd be 10th. Not counting the game against us as he didn't do anything then. I don't rate him (would still love him here) so this is certainly winnable.

Personally, I think he's overrated. I said at the time that I wouldn't have taken him over the more experienced names mentioned (Mick McCarthy, Billy Davies) and stand by that. Think he would've only added to the madness here, tbh, and not in a good way.

Excellent preview.

The sort of game we will now go and win putting Palace's play-off place in jeopardy.

Holloway fair mucked Shagnew around when they were chasing him so I don't know whether that is a case for congratulations or revenge...

Edited by philipl

Just had a look on the Palace boards, some posters think they will give us a right hiding whilst others are not confident at all.

Be great to end this horrible season with a win but have my doubts.

I think first goal is crucial, one for them could open the gates whilst if we snatch one our players seem to be able to hold on quite well.

Cue a big Palace comeback on Saturday now I've said that..

Just had a look on the Palace boards, some posters think they will give us a right hiding whilst others are not confident at all.

Be great to end this horrible season with a win but have my doubts.

I think first goal is crucial, one for them could open the gates whilst if we snatch one our players seem to be able to hold on quite well.

Cue a big Palace comeback on Saturday now I've said that..

really? :rolleyes:

Holloway is overrated. Said that when he was linked with Rovers. Did a great job at Blackbool but failed pretty much everywhere else. Took Leicester down.

Don't like his kamikaze type football. You either win 4-0 or lose 4-0. Think we could win this one.

Holloway is overrated. Said that when he was linked with Rovers. Did a great job at Blackbool but failed pretty much everywhere else. Took Leicester down.

Don't like his kamikaze type football. You either win 4-0 or lose 4-0. Think we could win this one.

Agreed. For every Blackpool and Palace there is a QPR, Leicester or Plymouth. He made a name for himself due to his comedy value with outrageous sayings which the media loved but he couldn't see that people weren't taking him seriously.

Team news for saturday's game:

Injured/doubtful: CKR (shoulder), Dunn (ankle), Markus Olsson (hamstring), Lowe (knee), Givet (hamstring), Martin Olsson (ankle), Bentley (knee)

Out 'til the end of the season: Robinson, Kean, Henley, Campbell, Best and Etuhu.

it gives little options for GB to chose from.

So, I think it will be something like this (if no one recovers):

Sandomierski

Kane, Hanley, Dann, Morris

Stewart, Jones, Williamson, Pedersen

Goodwillie, Rhodes

Bench: Usai, Rekik, King, Gomes, Murphy, Orr, Slew

Edited by Oklahoma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.