BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Rovers v Palace

His wages are irrelevant; the last sentence is your opinion and there are plenty of people who think the team is better with him in it and he has alot more to contribute. You're like a broken record stuck at 78rpm.

JIM, I said earlier it was my opinion. I think that should make it pretty clear. On other issues ( politics ) it could be said you are also like a broken record. It doesn't mean you are wrong concerning those issues though does it ?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JIM, I said earlier it was my opinion. I think that should make it pretty clear. On other issues ( politics ) it could be said you are also like a broken record. It doesn't mean you are wrong concerning those issues though does it ?

No, very true. I keeping repeating them because theno is hard of learning.

You need to read what I actually said earlier. We can't get rid of him, that's obvious,. In spite of him being such an asset nobody else will take him off our hands. For now we'll have to let him laugh all the way to the bank. I just wouldn't play him the team. When we last renewed his contract I and a few others said it was madness.

That's daft. He's certainly good enough to play his part as we saw on Saturday. If we're paying him we might as well get something out of him. No point paying him to swan around doing nowt. Regardless of your opinion he's better than most we've got and is always willing to play. He doesn't throw his toys out of the pram if he's asked to sit on the bench and come on to be the scapegoat for the failings of the team as a whole - he's a pro. there's a guy behind me at Ewood who couldn't praise Pedersen if he scored 3 goals a match and singlehandedly won us promotion. You sound like him. You see all the daft stuff he does, no worse than what most of our team do, and none of the good stuff. I'm not even a great Pedersen fan but people who can see nothing good in the guy get my goat. He's our player so we need him to work because if the tales of financial ruin are true we're getting nobody else, not even players commanding minimum wages and no up front transfer fee.

That's daft. He's certainly good enough to play his part as we saw on Saturday. If we're paying him we might as well get something out of him. No point paying him to swan around doing nowt. Regardless of your opinion he's better than most we've got and is always willing to play. He doesn't throw his toys out of the pram if he's asked to sit on the bench and come on to be the scapegoat for the failings of the team as a whole - he's a pro. there's a guy behind me at Ewood who couldn't praise Pedersen if he scored 3 goals a match and singlehandedly won us promotion. You sound like him. You see all the daft stuff he does, no worse than what most of our team do, and none of the good stuff. I'm not even a great Pedersen fan but people who can see nothing good in the guy get my goat. He's our player so we need him to work because if the tales of financial ruin are true we're getting nobody else, not even players commanding minimum wages and no up front transfer fee.

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it.

Your opinion is that you would have to pay a very useful squad member 40k pw and refuse to even consider him for the team no matter what. Bonkers! And a very amateurish opinion if I may say so, and one based simply on irrational dislike rather than tactical or footballing reasons.

Edited by thenodrog

Your opinion is that he's useful, mine is that he isn't. Players tend to look at high earning lightweights and think " Well if he can get away with it so can I ". That's how teams end up getting relegated. Top earners have to set an example.

Pederson is far more useful than what Jason Lowe is.

So how do you suggest we get rid if he has a year left on his contract - we'd have to buy him out presumably

Pedersen's an absolute disgrace to the colours, and has been for several seasons.

It may be we can't afford to pay him off instantly but ideally we'd be far better served by doing so imo, we've formed an idea over the course of the season who can and can't graft week in week out over the course of a gruelling 46 game season and in my view we're unlikely to get very far whilst chronic lead swingers and p*** takers like Pedersen, Orr and Murphy remain on the books dragging down the performances of everyone else.

Tyrone is spot on with this one we need young and/or hungry players if we're to progress not players only interested in boosting their already bulging bank accounts of the ilk of Pedersen, Orr and Murphy.

As for the game in general, a very encouraging performance imo. We completely dominated Palace for the most part and played some super football to feet without resorting to any of the aimless hoofball we saw under Appleton.

I still couldn't say for certain that Bowyer is the man to take us forward, that said, I think we could do a lot worse. If like Appleton he was allowed to bring his own players in and make his own footballing decisions unfettered by outside interference he might just be a revelation. There are some very encouraging signs.

Incidentally, what a performance from Josh Morris, didn't think he had that in him on the basis of his displays prior to Saturday.

Pedersen's an absolute disgrace to the colours, and has been for several seasons.

It may be we can't afford to pay him off instantly but ideally we'd be far better served by doing so imo, we've formed an idea over the course of the season who can and can't graft week in week out over the course of a gruelling 46 game season and in my view we're unlikely to get very far whilst chronic lead swingers and p*** takers like Pedersen, Orr and Murphy remain on the books dragging down the performances of everyone else.

Tyrone is spot on with this one we need young and/or hungry players if we're to progress not players only interested in boosting their already bulging bank accounts of the ilk of Pedersen, Orr and Murphy.

A disgrace to the colours?? Thats an incredible statement. He played a big role in the club's longest post-war top flight spell. He was phenomenal in the season we came within 4 points of the Champions League, our best finish in a decade and likely to be our best finish for at least 5 decades more. He finished top or near top of the assists chart every season we were in the PL. He's scored more goals for us than Tim Sherwood, has played almost as many games as Tony Parkes, and has been featured heavily in the team by 10 different managers. He never sulks when he's not started, never gets wound up by bullying fans, never gets himself in trouble off the pitch or brings the club's name into disrepute. And has been an ambassador to our decently-sized Scandanavian fanbase and wider fanbase in general, believe it or not but the vast majority of the wider football world think he's pretty good.

That you would twice lump him in with Murphy and Orr is disgusting. Those 2 between them won't achieve 1% of what Pedersen has at this club.

A disgrace to the colours?? Thats an incredible statement. He played a big role in the club's longest post-war top flight spell. He was phenomenal in the season we came within 4 points of the Champions League, our best finish in a decade and likely to be our best finish for at least 5 decades more. He finished top or near top of the assists chart every season we were in the PL. He's scored more goals for us than Tim Sherwood, has played almost as many games as Tony Parkes, and has been featured heavily in the team by 10 different managers. He never sulks when he's not started, never gets wound up by bullying fans, never gets himself in trouble off the pitch or brings the club's name into disrepute. And has been an ambassador to our decently-sized Scandanavian fanbase and wider fanbase in general, believe it or not but the vast majority of the wider football world think he's pretty good.

That you would twice lump him in with Murphy and Orr is disgusting. Those 2 between them won't achieve 1% of what Pedersen has at this club.

+ 10

Best post you've done

Most of that post is written in the past tense. What's gone is gone. We've lived on memories and reputations for too long at this club. They count for nothing in this league as we've just found out. Is he going to play a signifcant role in us getting out of this division at the right end ? Is he the sort of player that will shine in this division ? I think even his admirers know the answer to those two questions. That's all I'm concerned about, will he strengthen the team or weaken it going into next season ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Appalling statement - one of the worst I've seen on here in years.

Edited by jim mk2

:) Thanks!

You've not given yourself much competition to be fair. :P

Just kidding. Great post. Pedersen's powers have long since waned but he can still offer something to the team. Sadly his set pieces aren't great any more but he can do a job as a defensive left sided midfielder, doubling up on an opposition winger - as evidenced against Palace.

I hope he gets to have a testimonial (provided the gate receipts go to charity - maybe the Rovers Trust!). I'd definitely go to watch that. Wonder if Berg would play in that one? Perhaps not...!

Most of that post is written in the past tense. What's gone is gone. We've lived on memories and reputations for too long at this club. They count for nothing in this league as we've just found out. Is he going to play a signifcant role in us getting out of this division at the right end ? Is he the sort of player that will shine in this division ? I think even his admirers know the answer to those two questions. That's all I'm concerned about, will he strengthen the team or weaken it going into next season ?

Well I don't know about memories and reputations but experience counts for a hell of a lot. The difference between our stirring last month's survival fight in 2011 and our pathetic capitulation in 2012 was experience and character. That got thrown away in the big Kean clear out that many of our fans were actually calling for at the time, and a spiritless spineless campaign swiftly followed. Pedersen and Dunn are the 2 remaining links on the playing staff to a time when not even mid-table in the Premiership was good enough. They've been there and done it, and at a higher level than most of the mediocre youngsters in our squad will ever achieve. That's worth something in the dressing room, on the training pitch and sometimes during matches.

To answer your questions directly, maybe he will play a significant role. He's always been a confidence player and lord knows some "fans" make sure to never give him any, so he seems to rely on it from the manager. He was made a pivotal part of Big Sam's team and produced accordingly. I fully admit he's lost his way since but I think he can play a role. As for the type of player he is, well personally I disagree that you need to focus on grafters and youngsters that run around all day to get out of the Championship. You need some of that but if you wanna be at the top end you also need quality. He should be judged against is his competition, what does he bring that they don't? On the wing neither King, Marcus Olsson or Nunes can cross or head a ball, Pedersen can. In the centre Rochina can't defend, Dunny is always injured, and Jones and Williamson tend to have some kind of mental seizure when they get within 10 yards of the opposition's penalty area, Pedersen has decent positional sense, a decent shot, and can pick a pass.

I'm not saying he's brilliant or even a guaranteed first-teamer, but he gives us an alternative option, as Saturday pointed out quite clearly. Maybe he should be on a bit lower salary than he is now, but that's what happens with older, experienced players, they get worse but they have contracts. You could say the same about any number of over-30s players we've had down the years. We've got him, we may as well use him. And personally I don't begrudge him being on a bit more than he should when there's been hundreds of players that have been in and out of this club who were on a lot more than they should and never actually did anything at any point that they could point to and say well you got that out of me. We've got 4 top half finishes, 3 cup semi-finals, 3 European campaigns and 8 Premier League seasons out of Pedersen. In 20 years when playing in the PL will probably be just a half-forgotten memory, it'll be astounding if anyone looks back and says he ripped us off.

As for the game in general, a very encouraging performance imo. We completely dominated Palace for the most part and played some super football to feet without resorting to any of the aimless hoofball we saw under Appleton.

I still couldn't say for certain that Bowyer is the man to take us forward, that said, I think we could do a lot worse. If like Appleton he was allowed to bring his own players in and make his own footballing decisions unfettered by outside interference he might just be a revelation. There are some very encouraging signs.

Incidentally, what a performance from Josh Morris, didn't think he had that in him on the basis of his displays prior to Saturday.

And Pedersen played a huge part in that very encouraging performance that you are talking about. Helped Morris's better second half display too, or did you think Morris did that all by himself. As I've said before Pedersen is not what he was but he is better than many give him credit for and to call him a disgrace to the colours is unbelievable. Perhaps he's overpaid - not his fault (would you voluntarily take less than your contract said) prehaps he can't play every week but where are all these young, hungry players who are going to flock to /rovers and give us the kind of performances that will get us out of the championship? Most teams go with a blend and most squads contain older players who can't do everything they could but whose presence gives stability and an example of how to conduct yourself.

I groan like the rest of us sometimes, and yes, Peds is past his best, but he had class, and you don't lose it overnight. He has been a brilliant servant and to cast him aside is cruel. There's a lot to be said for loyalty, and although Dunny gets criticized, he has been our best player when the chips were down back end of the season. If only a few others had that commitment?

To call Pedersen a disgrace is too strong by far. When played out wide left he has been poor because his main strength when played out wide was crossing but when have we played with a target man to aim for? His best seasons where when we had Santa Cruz and even Kuqi.

He has never been strong enough to play in a midfield two but playing in a formation like Saturday give Pedersen scope to play.

Speaking of 'irrational dislikes'

One who can make a positive contribution, but OK hes not been at the top of his game for some time, versus one that if he was at the top of his game still wouldnt make any difference at all as the team slides down the league. I know which one id try to make better and it wouldnt be the younger one in this instance.

Actually enjoyed this game, well the second half.

Changed completely when we actually attacked the wings, Palace fullbacks were poor and wingers were not tracking back.

Zaha ran rings round us first half, as he had the time and space. Was interesting to see him vs King battle. King is properly quick when he wants to be however decision making/final ball isn't the best - hopefully will come with time.

When Peds came on he seemed to link Morris and King together well, also slotting in behind when they pushed forward. Played it simple and kept us ticking over.

Young Todd Kane didn't have his best display but solid none the less. Goodwillie tried his hardest on the wing but it obviously isn't his position - he can do a job at this level though.

Thought we should and could have killed the game off with the prolonged amount of pressure we had, although they could have nicked a few on the counter on another day.

Disgrace to the colours? Very poor comments Simon. For some reason you have had your knife into MGP for some time. He isn't as good as he was a number of years ago (when he was being linked with MU) but his introduction to the game at HT tightened up the lh side, contributed largely to the balance of play switching our way and directly coincided with Josh Morris coming to form. Watch closely and you must notice that in general play MGP needs one or two touches on the ball whilst so many others need 2 or 3! Be honest the first 45 mins Josh Morris was bloody awful and up against Zaha he resembled a rabbit caught in car headlights!

Might be unfair to recall but I rem you hero worshipping John Curtis (who?) and famously suggesting in 2004 that we replace Brad Friedel asap cos he was in your opinion 'past it'. :rolleyes:

Edited by thenodrog

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.