BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] News Article -> Rovers v Palace

Guest Norbert

I think Plymouth were under constant financial strain for many seasons, and perhaps they were punching way above their weight. At least this is the case when he left, and they tumbled down the leagues. He may have had restrictions on his squad/budgets which meant he had to sell their best players and defy gravity. I may be wrong however.

Anyway, I think they'll win. Hopefully other results will go our way so we won't all be panicing on the last day.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holloway is overrated. Said that when he was linked with Rovers. Did a great job at Blackbool but failed pretty much everywhere else. Took Leicester down.

Don't like his kamikaze type football. You either win 4-0 or lose 4-0. Think we could win this one.

Put a couple of bets on 4-0 to Rovers and 4-0 Palace and you're quids in then, right?

That play off final, 2nd leg at Selhurst. First time I cried at football match. The "Glad all over" comment has reminded me of it again (shudder). Went 1st premier league game when Shearer exploded on scene, thought "proper pay back" then they scored last minute equaliser and they played that fricking song again. Agreed , I hate Palace

I was distraught enough and I was at Alton Towers that day as I was only 14.

I remember thinking McGoldricks goal at a packed Ewood could be costly and it proved to be.

What always struck me is how players like Sellars totally bottled it completely in the 2nd leg. I know he was a soft bugger but........They made our current crop seem hardened in comparison. I was surprised Sellars ever had the gumption to make it to the top flight after that.

Palace will be owed one forever no matter how many times we beat them.

I was distraught enough and I was at Alton Towers that day as I was only 14.

I remember thinking McGoldricks goal at a packed Ewood could be costly and it proved to be.

What always struck me is how players like Sellars totally bottled it completely in the 2nd leg. I know he was a soft bugger but........They made our current crop seem hardened in comparison. I was surprised Sellars ever had the gumption to make it to the top flight after that.

Palace will be owed one forever no matter how many times we beat them.

I remember thinking similar, but more in relation to Howard Gayle's missed penalty at a crucial stage in that first leg.

I remember thinking similar, but more in relation to Howard Gayle's missed penalty at a crucial stage in that first leg.

That was the main one for me - that would've made it 4-0 iirc so they most likely wouldn't have pulled their goal back. It was the miss which gave them a lift.

2nd leg is without doubt my worst ever moment following Rovers. (footballing wise)

That was the main one for me - that would've made it 4-0 iirc so they most likely wouldn't have pulled their goal back. It was the miss which gave them a lift.

2nd leg is without doubt my worst ever moment following Rovers. (footballing wise)

From memory, I think it was 2-0 at the time of the missed pen - and we scored the third just after they had pulled the goal back (was it Eddie McGoldrick?)

Even more galling was that fact that Howard Gayle had been absolutely lethal from the spot that year.

From memory, I think it was 2-0 at the time of the missed pen - and we scored the third just after they had pulled the goal back (was it Eddie McGoldrick?)

Even more galling was that fact that Howard Gayle had been absolutely lethal from the spot that year.

I recall it that way too. Still does not mean we would have scored 4 though.

Holloway is Bristolian which I think just lies outside the range to be classed as a "cockney"

Ah, but Stanley was indeed London (Newham) born and bred.

I have to admit some artistic licence was used in a poor attempt at humour.....although some bits are true and showing some research went into it at least!

Ditto, 'twas a long sad journey home, still Howard Gayle was a cracking player for us.

Edited by MrT

Was lucky enough to have missed the 89 away game. had to go to a wedding. I went to all but 3 or 4 home and away that season but the game was in June for some reason and no one imagined the season would be still going then. Still hate Palace, the year before was horrible as well when we lost to them and scuppered another promotion push, I was at that 1 unfortunately.

Team news for saturday's game:

Injured/doubtful: CKR (shoulder), Dunn (ankle), Markus Olsson (hamstring), Lowe (knee), Givet (hamstring), Martin Olsson (ankle), Bentley (knee)

Out 'til the end of the season: Robinson, Kean, Henley, Campbell, Best and Etuhu.

it gives little options for GB to chose from.

So, I think it will be something like this (if no one recovers):

Sandomierski

Kane, Hanley, Dann, Morris

Stewart, Jones, Williamson, Pedersen

Goodwillie, Rhodes

Bench: Usai, Rekik, King, Gomes, Murphy, Orr, Slew

Jesus wept, that's not much of a team. Next season we must sort out the fitness issues, we've got nearly as many players " injured " as we have that are fit for selection. Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Jesus wept, that's not much of team. Next season we must sort out the fitness issues, we've got nearly as many players " injured " as we have that are fit for selection.

I'm not sure if some of the players may recover for tomorrow. Haven't read any news of today's training.

I reckon the team for tomorrow game will be:- Sandomerskil Kane, Dann, Hanley, Morris; King, Williamson, Jones, Pedersen; Goodwillie, Rhodes.

hope a couple of these are O'Sullivan, Cotton and Forrester are at Bench aswell

How many development squad games has Cotton played this season or more recently for you to mention his name.

I actually reckon we'll do 'em today. First time we've played without a great deal of pressure on us to get a win for a long while and all the onus appears to be on Palace to turn their form around, which is pretty poor at the minute. I realise Sod's law usually dictates that Rovers are the side against which teams turn their form around, but psychological factors should be slightly in our favour, even if our injury list is a bit alarming. At the very least, I'll be happy with a performance that shows passion and commitment. These last few games should start to show us who's got the stones to stick around and fight next year.

I've just been looking through Utd's injury list. They've got Scholes, Young and Fletcher out. That's 3 players with all the games they've played this season. Fletcher's is really because of illness rather than an injury. All the top teams have very few out injured, the teams down at the bottom all have plenty of injuries !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.