BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shebby Singh

waggy

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm. Not sure if this is the right topic, but thought I'd share the following I heard today. Nothing earth shattering but may interest some.

My mate texted me to say he was attending a memorial football tournament to honour a friend who died suddenly last year. Turned out that one of the players was a former Rover and he too had been a close friend of the deceased. Anyway, he started to tell the player that he had a mate who was a Rovers fan and that I keep lamenting over former glories and alike. In reply, the player then told my mate that immediately prior to the Berg appointment, he, together with Chris Sutton and Billy McKinley had believed they were going to be appointed and he was in fact en route to Ewood when he got a call from his agent to say that the owners had decided that based on fans reaction to this possibility, they had cooled their interest somewhat and wanted to take further soundings. HB was appointed very soon after this.

I know this story is in the public domain but I thought I'd share. My mate is absolutely reliable on this and he did subsequently send me a photo of the two together so I can verify the guy is who he says he is. I appreciate many may know who I am referring to. The conversation was not in confidence, so I could state the name, but out of respect the guy whose life was being celebrated I have decided against this. I'm sure many know or can work it out if they want.

People can draw what inferences they want, but it would seem to suggest that the Venky's ultimately pulled the plug on this proposed appointment because they got cold feet, with HB being Singh's contingency plan and all because he was perceived as being more acceptable to the fans because he had less baggage. This would seem to have been more important than his ability to manage.

Who was it then?

• Backroom

Who was it then?

To be fair he did say he would rather not confirm the name and that's fair enough

The post isn't short on info though and there were a few names said to be coming in with Mckinlay at the time so I certainly believe it

Guest Norbert

So it was Sutton or Berg. What a fabulous choice there.

Can someone just plant a massive amount of drugs and guns in his luggage, or shoot him?

I guess Sutton was being viewed as the number two to Mckinlay Norbert.

Tim sherwood was also heavily linked around that time before Brag released that famous press release and venkys decided to go for berg.

I guess Sutton was being viewed as the number two to Mckinlay Norbert.

Tim sherwood was also heavily linked around that time before Brag released that famous press release and venkys decided to go for berg.

That "famous Brag press release" was a response to McKinley being touted for the manager's job.

Much like those who wanted Sam out but believed there would have been a better replacement, those who didn't want McKinley had hoped for better than Berg.

This was our first post-Kean manager and needed to be the right appointment. McKinley wasn't it but neither was Berg.

Sadly we STILL haven't replaced Allardyce with anyone credible and don't look likely to.

Even more sad is that people seem more concerned with the imminent return of Singh, yet they seem happy to let the Shaw court case episode fade from memory because it may have just been a scheme to save Rovers paying out on a contract. A contract that Shaw agreed to!

But never mind, Shebby is an easy (and noisy) target so let's aim for him, eh?

I guess Sutton was being viewed as the number two to Mckinlay Norbert. Tim sherwood was also heavily linked around that time before Brag released that famous press release and venkys decided to go for berg.

Pretty transparent post that one.

You all know my views on that press release, I started a poll about it FFS, it's hardly a secret. As I said at the time, my concern with it wasn't the bit saying that fans objected to McKinlay, think that was pretty obvious, my concern was that it also named Sherwood, and at that stage I hadn't heard anything like the same level of vitriol aimed at him.

I haven't posted anything on any of the Brag threads for months as I knew some would jump on me, cheers for not letting me down gents. Actually knew exactly who it would be as well. No shocks at all.

Looking forward to attending the legends match on Wednesday. I'll be in one of the exec boxes and really looking forward to it. Think it's been a great thing to get organised and a massive amount of work has been done by brag on it.

Also just to add a bit more meat to the bones, if I'm so 'anti-brag' why would I have proof read their last press release for them, it's something I do as part of my day job and I offered my services to glen.

Just because I don't agree with everything doesn't mean I can't appreciate the things that they do very very well. Nobody can question their commitment and their community involvement.

Also, am I concerned about Shebby being back around the place, yes I am. Am I equally concerned that shaw is still employed by the club, again the answer is a resounding yes! I'd have got rid of the both of them as well as Agnew, I don't think any one of them should be anywhere near our once great club!

Gents. Whilst you have valid points, I suspect the conversation is going to drift away from the relevance off the topic (and onto Brag and what people did and didn't say historically) and I'm fed up of reading threads that spiral off the way this one I suspect will. I'm very aware you can both point to a thousand cases we're we've let this go before (and neither is you are remotely close to being the worst offender) and you'd be right, so consider this a gentle pre-emptive nudge.

Now, Shebby if you please :)

Guest Norbert

whoever was in charge, a Sutton/McKinlay combination is not one to get excited about. Nor is SEM's favourite reporter's story about Shebby meddling over Sherwood. Bowyer and co. has rescued last season, so why potentially ruin it with another novice who'll cost a million to sack in December?

If true, this just shows how dangerous, idiotic and counter productive having a hyperactive moron roaming around the boardroom is.

Guest Norbert

I hope so. The last thing we need is another merry-go-round with a whole host of unknowns, has beens and SEM clients being linked with the job.

The problem with Shebby is that he is not content with simply reporting back to the owners but wants to have a say on the football side of things. It is clear that he has a vision for how the game should be played and the type of players required to meet his vision. Unfortunately, his vision is not going to get us anywhere. Whilst we need rid of Agnew and Shaw it is Shebby who I believe is the greatest danger - simply because he want's to influence what goes on on the pitch. In truth, whilst these three remain the club is unlikely to move forward but the main problem is the fact that the owners want to try to run the club from India by having the final say on all decisions. What they have failed to grasp is that football is a business that requires instant decisions rather than having matters referred back to Pune and then having to wait whilst a decision is made. Until we have one administrator at Ewood who has the power to make decisions and work with the manager we are unlikely to make much progress.

Guest Norbert

Perth couldn't do anything about that rogue apostrophe Gumboots, it is out of control and can do what it likes.

Archived