BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Media Watch -> Forbes India Magazine - Why Venky's Need to Exit Blackburn Rovers FC

What makes me think that this is a badly researched article?

The Apostrophe in the title? :)

It does seem a bit of a mish mash of info tbf, and Blackburn isn't a mining town but I suppose the plus side is that this article was published in India.

What makes me think that this is a badly researched article?

Seems reasonable imo. any article that puts venkys in a bad light is a good one - especially if it is in India.

Thank you for brightening up my Monday morning.

"Fans were optimistic that new investment would propel the club to European football championships and enable them to run for the domestic league title once again,"

"Fans" here obviously an abbreviation "drug crazed fantasists".

"And now, the team has only two marquee players, Jordan Rhodes and Danny Murphy..."

I didn't realise that Jordan and Rhodes were two separate players.

As for the prviously mentioned, "small mining town of Blackburn in Lancashire county", are they referring perhaps to the treacle mines in Tockholes?

If you overlook the mistakes presumably made by a writer as unfamiliar with Blackburn as our esteemed owners, the article accurately reflects where we are and how we got there. Isn't that what we want Indians to know?

Guest Norbert

It's not likely this woill shake up Venky's. They've been immune from all the criticism before. And I also doubt that it's relevent to SEM.

Bad publicity, especially in the Indian press, can only be a good thing in my book.

It doesn’t matter that the author has us down as a mining town, bad publicity is priceless in a country where status means so much, to be seen as useless and incompetent will hurt them in their own country.

We should take an add out in the main paper of India as far as I'm concerned, and I think plenty of people will contribute also. It needs to be worded right but that takes the fight to their doorstep and they'll not like it.

So we have a business that costs teens of millions pa to run, the supporters put in a miserly 2-3 of million in ticket sales etc and we want rid of our wealthy owners!? No matter how incompetent they appear and how unsatisfactory it is I'd imagine they currently are all that is between BRFC and a place in the history books.

Bad publicity, especially in the Indian press, can only be a good thing in my book.

It doesn’t matter that the author has us down as a mining town, bad publicity is priceless in a country where status means so much, to be seen as useless and incompetent will hurt them in their own country.

We should take an add out in the main paper of India as far as I'm concerned, and I think plenty of people will contribute also. It needs to be worded right but that takes the fight to their doorstep and they'll not like it.

Credibility though, GAV. With so many mistakes it's easy to rubbish the article. If they aren't close enough to Blackburn Rovers to get simple facts right, how can anyone believe the rest. (Is what those seeking to defend or dismiss it will say).

Remember that we are not the audience its aimed at. Those errors of fact and style won't mean the same in India as they might to us.

Who is it aimed at? The Indian business community, presumably. These people do have more than half a brain cell and if it turns out that the piece is littered with errors they will simply dismiss it. "Madame, what is this I've read in forbes?". "Oh that, it's pish. They think Blackburn is a mining town". "Oh, that's fine. I've have another 10,000 chicken embryos - thanks".

We have already had several pieces in the India press over the last 2 and a half years and it doesn't seem to have affected them. At least not enough to clear off.

Fair play to them for getting something out there - it is better than nothing - but it needs to stand up to minimal scrutiny.

Credibility though, GAV. With so many mistakes it's easy to rubbish the article. If they aren't close enough to Blackburn Rovers to get simple facts right, how can anyone believe the rest. (Is what those seeking to defend or dismiss it will say).

Do you think venkys or their 'advisers' are interested in the article saying we're a mining town, are they heck as like, they're interested in their name being in the paper associated with incompetence.

Maybe the article was written in Urdu originally and the translation has caused the errors? Just a thought?

Matters not one bit, its bad press for venkys in the Indian media, that’s good enough for me and where the fight should be fought IMO.

Who is it aimed at? The Indian business community, presumably. These people do have more than half a brain cell and if it turns out that the piece is littered with errors they will simply dismiss it. "Madame, what is this I've read in forbes?". "Oh that, it's pish. They think Blackburn is a mining town". "Oh, that's fine. I've have another 10,000 chicken embryos - thanks".

We have already had several pieces in the India press over the last 2 and a half years and it doesn't seem to have affected them. At least not enough to clear off.

Fair play to them for getting something out there - it is better than nothing - but it needs to stand up to minimal scrutiny.

I think you're worrying too much!

How much would it cost to take out an add in The Times of India? which apparently has the largest circulation among all English language newspapers in the world, across all formats says wiki.

So it won't be cheap then :rock:

To answer the question of the thread: "When Venkys realise that their Companies and a failing English Football team do not fit their corporate strategy and the publicity affects their reputaion management"

This article takes a hit at their 'reputation' and sensibilities. GOOD.

How much would it cost to take out an add in The Times of India? which apparently has the largest circulation among all English language newspapers in the world, across all formats says wiki.

So it won't be cheap then :rock:

You could get space in the Pune edition for as low as £4k (we looked into this in the Kean era), but it was made obvious that they wouldn't print an advert that may impact their business negatively.

Don't want to split hairs, but Blackburn was a mining town, it had 18 coal mines once upon a time. Though the last one shut over 100 years ago. The cotton mills also closed down too, so we're not a cotton town any more either.

Don't think the majority of people reading the article know or care about Blackburn's industrial past. But they are interested about the mess we're in and what caused it. Apart from historical details, it's still a good article and pushes our cause.

Archived