BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] possible transfer targets summer 2013

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Olsson is asking for a lot of money, which Norwich do not want to pay, I am led to believe.

Formica deal falling through was a sucker punch for Rovers. He was offered a 3 year deal however it fell through due to previous medical history. That would have got us c£1m and a load off the wage bill.

As annoying as it sounds that we can't get a player due to not having money, it comes as huge relief. It seems as though Venky's are finally capping spending and spending wisely.

Long may it continue.

No issues with this theory if we're planning on being a Championship club forever...if however were planning to achieve promotion then we need to balance some of the cuts with expenditure so that we can progress!!

Interesting point ur making tho as many others are baying for big money signings as we speak!!

I think being in existance and not going further down the leagues would be a good starting point for a target. Not going to happen if we keep hemorhaging money like we have been.

Indeed. Spending big in order to achieve something that will pay huge dividends (Whether it's promotion or CL qualification) can be the right move, but it depends on how much you have to lose. It's not what I would have done last summer, but I can understand why the club did it; it just failed spectacularly. But with the losses made from paying of a sucession of managers, the unsustainable wage bill/payouts (Severely impacted by last summers signings of Murphy, Etuhu, Best, Gomes, Rhodes) and the limited income we have from ticket sales, commercial/sponsorship income? Now is absolutely not the time to dig ourselves deeper into a hole, not when we have no idea on how willing and able (Both with regards to how much money they have to spend, and how FFP will impact their ability to do so), and when we're carrying so much "dead money" as it is. Should always keep Pompey and Leeds in mind.

My take on it has always been that a club should aim to be self-sufficient without any external investment, and avoid committing beyond that. If money comes into the club (Owners or sponsors) then that should be budgeted for. A one-time £20m investment doesn't mean spend £20m on transfer fees and saddle the club with 3-4 year contracts on high wages. That money needs to fund the entirety of the extra spending, or else you're spending money you don't have. It's not an exciting way to run a club, but it's (IMO) the right one. Outside investment is a bonus, not something that should be relied on.

Is Derek Shaw doing the deals now when Rovers are in Portugal?

I have a feeling that Alex Marrow will be used in defence this season. He can play everywhere in defence and did play at right back for Rovers Before he left.

He's a guite big lad and I Think defence will suit him.

Also Kilgannon can play left back

Anyone know which 27 players Went to Portugal? Yann Sonogo was one who Went there, also Kilgannon and Marrow joined.

@SoccerRocksLive: Burnley are in talks with former Blackburn loanee David Jones about a move to Turf Moor. #BFC #BRFC

Hope were getting a move on with Spearing because if we lose out and the above happens it will be a travesty!!

Good, the sight of his sulking face no more.

with martin Olsson going we definatly need a left back - even if Olsson was staying I thought a left back was needed as he was terrible last season . kilgallon is a left sided centre half who can cover left back - we cant rely on him for left back , Marcus Olsson is just pure awful and josh morris has potential but needs to get stronger !!1

• Backroom

with martin Olsson going we definatly need a left back - even if Olsson was staying I thought a left back was needed as he was terrible last season . kilgallon is a left sided centre half who can cover left back - we cant rely on him for left back , Marcus Olsson is just pure awful and josh morris has potential but needs to get stronger !!1

We relied on a left-sided cb before: Givet. We can use Killy there as well as Henley (who was immense vs Lpool and Utd). Don't think we need to worry too much. Morris (like Lowe) will most likely provide excellent versatility from the bench this season imo.

Remember being in Brockhall all those years ago when Olsson was signing his pro forms - all the best to him.

Always liked Olsson. He hasn't yet developed into the dynamic modern day full back I thought he would. Still time yet.

I have been dissapointed by his attitude over the last season though.

Always liked Olsson. He hasn't yet developed into the dynamic modern day full back I thought he would. Still time yet.

he's 25 isn't he! for a player whos best attribute is speed its pretty much down hill from there(also taking into account his poor injury record)

I've always liked him also, but at one stage I thought he was showing potential too become a good left midfielder, no doubt he has played well at left back I always thought he was better going forward.

Archived