BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

I stand by my original viewpoint :)

I don't have any passion for the game for which I don't apologise in the slightest but it goes without saying I want us to win

(By the way we know the script is written now and we will win by 1 or 2 runs just to prove a point!)

I stand by my original viewpoint :)

I don't have any passion for the game for which I don't apologise in the slightest but it goes without saying I want us to win

(By the way we know the script is written now and we will win by 1 or 2 runs just to prove a point!)

You don't understand the nature of this contest - you don't give this lot anything. I begrudged every run he scored.

You cannot be a true competitor either - a competitor wants to win every time and then grind his opponent into the dirt.

• Backroom

You don't understand the nature of this contest - you don't give this lot anything. I begrudged every run he scored.

You cannot be a true competitor either - a competitor wants to win every time and then grind his opponent into the dirt.

Don't tell me what I can and can't be just because I don't particularly care for a sport to the extent of being invested in it

I'm still allowed to watch and comment on it

Edited by Tom M
  • Like 2

By all means, you're entitled to your view, Tom.

Just understand that the Ashes is a *big* deal for a lot of people.

It's the only test series that really matters to me. For 16-odd years, the Aussies had their collective foot on our neck. That was suffering, and I want them to suffer how we suffered, so every run they score and every wicket they take pains me.

• Backroom

Thanks for a reasoned response without resorting to personal comments Bryan

I totally understand that and can relate because when it comes to football I am the same its just when it extends to other sports I am more a casual observer (shame really as this summer has had plenty of sport and so far plenty of success for Britain - long may that continue)

Edited by Tom M

• Backroom

I should care more about cricket by all accounts, my dad was involved with Rishton CC for some time and used to spend Sundays there often, my sister got to go in Viv Richards Helicopter when he famously landed on the field

Anyway back to the topic at hand I take it tickets would be refundable if you had booked for the Saturday and it didnt get that far?

Gotta say England have been on the wrong end of some diabolical decisions recently. Bell being given out against India, Agar not out yesterday, Trott lbw when he hit it. I mean they were all close run things but any 3rd umpire decision thats wrong is diabolical.

Hotspot wasn't working so how they didn't go with umps decision is crazy.

Tom you need to have suffered the misery that Australia heaped on us cricket fans from 89 till 2005. They were relentless, unforgiving cruel punishers of England. Every time we had a sniff of a chance, a glimpse of success, they would whip it away from us, and laugh, rejoice and dance on our sporting grave.

Off the field I'm sure they were very nice though, the ones I met were anyway :)

By all means, you're entitled to your view, Tom.

Just understand that the Ashes is a *big* deal for a lot of people.

It's the only test series that really matters to me. For 16-odd years, the Aussies had their collective foot on our neck. That was suffering, and I want them to suffer how we suffered, so every run they score and every wicket they take pains me.

The way you feel about Australia is how I used to feel about the West Indies. You'll get over it in time ;)

BTW that Hughes clip is quite relevant because IMO Clarke is the 'new Hughes' and Australia is still a few years away from rock bottom. We will begin to turn things around once Clark leaves as captain because IMO, he is not a leader of men like Border/Taylor/Waugh were.

Edited by pg

Thanks for a reasoned response without resorting to personal comments Bryan

I totally understand that and can relate because when it comes to football I am the same its just when it extends to other sports I am more a casual observer (shame really as this summer has had plenty of sport and so far plenty of success for Britain - long may that continue)

There was criticism but nothing personal in my comments. For a moderator you are far too sensitive.

Back to the cricket Cook needs to get his score moving. He will lose all his timing playing no shots.

The way you feel about Australia is how I used to feel about the West Indies. You'll get over it in time ;)

It's a strange thing when a side trashes you out of sight every time, completely dominating you.

Like a sporting Stockholm syndrome. You just don't expect to beat the other side at all, and it's a terrible feeling, especially if it's your oldest enemy.

Sometimes I just used to wish a series would be over, usually about on day 3 of the second test, if not before.

BTW that Hughes clip is quite relevant because IMO Clarke is the 'new Hughes' and Australia is still a few years away from rock bottom. We will begin to turn things around once Clark leaves as captain because IMO, he is not a leader of men like Border/Taylor/Waugh were.

How true, pg.

I'd love to have Steve Waugh leading a team. Hard as nails, gave 'em nothing.

Border was worse (from my point of view).

"What do you think this is, a @#/? tea party? No, you can't have a drink."

:lol: You think that's tough? Do you know the story of Dean Jones' double hundred in the Madras tied test? After his first hundred Deano while Deano was vomiting on the pitch and involuntarily urinating due to acute dehydration, AB said to him If you can't hack it, let's get a tough Queenslander out here - get me Greg Ritchie!. He went to tea at 202* and AB and Simmo basically kicked back out onto the pitch.

But when you are capable of amazing feats such as saving a game against the West Indies by yourself : http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63368.html, I guess you are allowed to be tough on others who you think aren't taking the game as seriously as you do.

Border was one of the best batsman of the 1980's along with Gavaskar, Miandad and Richards.

Edited by pg

:lol: do.

Border was one of the best batsman of the 1980's along with Gavaskar, Miandad and Richards.

And Gooch and Gower ..just in the interests of balance you understand.

Incidentally Paul, you haven't been on here regularly in years but now Australia are doing well you suddenly appear.

Any comment ?

Edited by jim mk2

• Backroom

One thing about having cricket on in the background is the commentary is so much more enjoyable than football punditry

Because of the slower nature of the play Bumble tends to ramble on which is great and I like listening to Michael Holding

Edited by Tom M

Bit harsh. His 50 to 100 conversion rate is significantly better than Trott and Bell.

Not harsh at all. He's put this test in jeopardy with his stupidity. If he'd stayed calm he could have batted til tea and pretty much sealed the deal, instead he exposed his team, because he's a flash idiot.

Still, I'd rather have him in my side than not. Simple as that.

You can't knock his average, and he's won a fair few matches for England with his batting.

He does have the capacity to frustrate, but so did Gower, got himself out stupidly on more than one occasion.

Pietersen drives me bananas, looks as though he could get out every ball. He was almost out early today with a daft airy shot through the covers.

We only have two "proper" test batsmen - Cook and Trott. Bell is halfway there but gets himself out too often. The rest are one-day players.

I would like to see Compton back in the team for the next Test.