BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bryan, the Aussie crowd did the same for Broad, and look what happened.

It seems the best advice is to shut up.

That afternoon session will have given the Aussies a lot of confidence, along with Clarks captaincy.

I have been a big Clark doubter, but today he really showed he knew what captaincy was all about. Today he was heads and shoulders above Cook.

Bryan, the Aussie crowd did the same for Broad, and look what happened.

It seems the best advice is to shut up.

That afternoon session will have given the Aussies a lot of confidence, along with Clarks captaincy.

I have been a big Clark doubter, but today he really showed he knew what captaincy was all about. Today he was heads and shoulders above Cook.

" Shut up " is always good advice before and during the game / series. Say what you want when the dust has settled.

• Like 2

Well, not much to say about that is there. Barring a miracle with the weather this game has gone but we need to put down some markers for the remaining games. All I'll say is we were totally under prepared for this game. Maybe we should offer the Aussies a couple of games against Lancashire League second teams before the First test when they next tour England.

The contrast between the degree of preparedness and attention to detail between our last tour and this tour is glaringly obvious.

TS, I would disagree that the England side was under prepared, they had a few four dayers prior to this game. OK, some were interrupted by weather, but the batsmen had some decent hit outs.

The bowlers knew they could do the job, and partly did it in the first innings.

Where it came unstuck was letting Haddin and Johnson get away, and then thinking that the Aussie bowlers would continue their form from the last English summer.

The last series was closer than the end result suggests.

Whilst this Test is not over, I say that the England side were ambushed, in that they vastly underrated the Aussie side.

I doubt that anyone will think that Johnson is just a trundler any more.

I never thought Johnson was a trundler, on his day when he consistently hits his line he's as dangerous as any quick out there. Trouble with him has always been that on a bad day or an un-responsive pitch he can be all over the place and go for 0 for a 100.

I agree about the last series,it was closer on paper than the 3-0 scoreline suggests. Winning the toss was crucial to the outcome in each game. People are saying that in this latest test it was a good toss to lose but I don't agree. If I'd have been Cook I would have batted first, no problem.

I can't agree with you about our preparation though. It was totally inadequate. Would you have been happy coming over to England and facing scratch teams bowling with a tennis ball ?

I never thought Johnson was a trundler, on his day when he consistently hits his line he's as dangerous as any quick out there. Trouble with him has always been that on a bad day or an un-responsive pitch he can be all over the place and go for 0 for a 100.

I agree about the last series,it was closer on paper than the 3-0 scoreline suggests. Winning the toss was crucial to the outcome in each game. People are saying that in this latest test it was a good toss to lose but I don't agree. If I'd have been Cook I would have batted first, no problem.

I can't agree with you about our preparation though. It was totally inadequate. Would you have been happy coming over to England and facing scratch teams bowling with a tennis ball ?

They did this summer.

TS, The preparation the asked for they got. In one game CA asked for certain players out of each State team (which apparently annoyed the crap out of the State coaches) to play against the tourists.

Anyway, it's looking pretty ugly for England at the moment. Cook batted well, but had a few heart stoppers before he was brilliantly caught by Haddin. The rest looked very ordinary.

Weather looks good for tomorrow.

Mm, not been a great weekend if you're a British Rovers sports fan. The Test has been a fiasco and the other England team managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the Rugby League World Cup Semi Final yesterday against the Kiwi's. We were winning with about 10 seconds left on the clock and blew it. Plus Rovers are still playing like drains and the dingles got a draw. Still the sun came up this morning and I'm off for a pint at teatime.

Crap batting-as usual in first Test. But what has happened to Jimmy Anderson? Admittedly I have not seen much of this test, but his figures since the first test at Trent Bridge are not great. His bowling in that amazing game last summer was virtually unplayable, he took ten in that game. Since then apart from four in the first innings at The Oval he`s done nothing of note.

To win tests we need to take twenty wickets, and Broad wont do that on his own.

I think we both need to think again! Good as yesterday was for England, day 2 has been awful.

Now where is that promised rain?

Yes that was a bit of a surprise. I presume England will receive more of the same in Perth. I also presume that England will be stronger in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

England's big issue IMO is Trott. He had an ordinary series at home and he's not looking great at the moment, although Adelaide may give him a chance to settle.

Problem is. pg, what kind of drop in pitch will it be?

It's never been done in SA. Will it be like a MCG drop in? Will it be something entirely different (privately I hope so).

I'm just glad the Aussies have got their "mongrel" back.

Still that's all behind now, it's to see what happens next.

Problem is. pg, what kind of drop in pitch will it be?

It's never been done in SA. Will it be like a MCG drop in? Will it be something entirely different (privately I hope so).

I'm just glad the Aussies have got their "mongrel" back.

Still that's all behind now, it's to see what happens next.

Bit too much mongrel in my opinion ( and that of the match referee ). There's a line in cricket that a real sportsman wouldn't step over. Some of your guys are stepping over it..

Yes that was a bit of a surprise. I presume England will receive more of the same in Perth. I also presume that England will be stronger in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney.

England's big issue IMO is Trott. He had an ordinary series at home and he's not looking great at the moment, although Adelaide may give him a chance to settle.

Trott and Prior. I can't remember an England wicket keeper having such a bad run with the bat. Even the non batsmen did better than this.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

TS, you obviously don't go back far enough for Steve Waugh. The hardest captain I've ever seen.

Remember it's not to long ago where the likes of Anderson and Co were giving it large to the Aussies.

Remember the bit where Ponting had a cut put on his cheek? Remember thinking about that?

I remember Johnson, being given the bird because of his wayward bowling.

Swings and roundabout.

Chickens coming home to roost and all that.

Australians started "sledging" in the 1970s. Most of it is way over the top and unacceptable. I see Clarke has been fined for making stupid comments to Anderson.

Trott coming home according to the Beeb because of a "stress" condition. Now stress can mean anything but if he were that bad like Trescothick why did he go on tour in the first place ?

Shouldn't they have seen this Trott issue coming? Dont they employ sports psychologists?

Whatever I doubt this traditional Aussie tactic is in the true spirit of cricket and I'm sure the authorities will take a dim view of it in future. Might even be a watershed moment in the game but whether it is or not the England management should look at this and use it to galvanise and light a fire under the England team.

Personally speaking and it would have screwed his career but mended his psyche and self respect if he had shoved his bat straight into Warners gob when he had the chance. A fortnight in hospital and significant cranio facial reconstruction surgery might have saved the authorities time and effort in controlling sledging. Cricket must be the only situation in history where a man with a big club, body protection and a helmet takes sh1t from one without any.

Edited by thenodrog

I suspect there is some underlying problem with Trott; cricketers often have marital difficulties.

David Frith said on Radio 2 today the hostility in the Test was the worst he has known in 60 years following the game (which shows the depths the convicts will stoop to) and thinks the international cricket authorities will act.

As for Warner if I had the ability to bowl at 90mph plus like Steve Finn I'd aim it straight at his big mouth.

Edited by jim mk2