BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Well, I hold my hands up, I'm no expert, over the last few years I've really got into my cricket. Very enjoyable stuff. I read this thread and bow down to a lot of posters who clearly know more than me.

But what are they doing? KP, again, why? I'm watching it on Sky but I can hear Boycott going mad now on TMS. The idea is to bat all day and then some surely? Yet I hear he's a belter, one of the very best. Time after time after time he lets England down. As for Root, it'll take time, but at the moment - not good enough.

There's a complete lack of confidence. I really can't see a win in this series at the moment.

This could be done today. Carberry doing well mind you. 50 up. Good man.

And then Bell knocks a 6. If Bell gets in and Carberry pushes on...

Pietersen's a walking wicket at the moment - a decent club bowler could get him out. Put three men on the leg side in the mid-wicket area, bowl at middle and leg and wait for him to hoick it in the air. Flower needs to have a stern word with him or is Pietersen above repproach ?

We are witnessing the second coming of Mitchell Johnson.

Several years ago, he ripped through the Saffers with a similar ferocity as today. It was then decided he had to change his action to allow for "reverse swing".

Remember that ashes tour of England? A complete disaster for him.

It has taken until this year for him to regain his action and confidence.

No one will want to change anything about him again. He'll have his off games, but no one will take him for granted again.

First of all I would like to apologise to all for my perceived 'trolling'. No personal insults were meant and I hope you can all accept my apology.

Moving on to the game.

Probably one of the best fast bowling spell's I have seen in a very long time.

Bell again continuing his very good display in the summer and showed that with a bit of patience, it was an easy pitch to bat on. Should he be batting at number 3? I personally thought that Root threw his wicket away today after looking relatively good in the opening exchanges of the day.

Another very impressive factor for me was the Aussie fielding. A splendid catch in the last game from Bailey started the demise at the Gabba and another great one handed catch from Warner today played another crucial part in getting the wickets to fall.

Tailenders look petrified of Johnson. I said in the summer England didn't look convincing and these 2 tests are proving that I was right.

Who takes the blame? Cook? Flower? Or the individuals. Shame to see such a humiliating display as I was rather looking forward to another fiercely contested Ashes series.

Personally would look to bring in Compton and Onions. Those two will definitely add another dimension to the England attack. Anderson's fitness looks poor but back to back Ashes series will have played a significant part in that.

Finally, I would like to wish Jonathon Trott a very speedy recovery. Was a great shame in seeing Trescothick leave the international scene due to his battles and would be another great shame in watching Trott leave.

No one particularly I just watch it for enjoyment, just like I do international football.

I don't believe that. It's just not natural. Either you have no affinity with team sports or you are of a minor nationality that doesn't figure prominently at either.

I don't believe that. It's just not natural. Either you have no affinity with team sports or you are of a minor nationality that doesn't figure prominently at either.

I'm not sure you're right Theno.

Some of the games (both cricket and football) that I've enjoyed have between nations that I've no particular favour for. The Bundeslige teams , when they are on the tv are usually a must for me. Love the way they play the game.

Effectively two down with three to go, England are down, and virtually out in this series already. The re-emergence of Johnson as game changer has swung what was a finely balanced contest into a procession now. Englands top order are walking wickets, the lower order bereft of any nerve, barring Broad.

The England side side built around the runs of Cook-Trott-KP-Prior, and the bowling of Anderson-Broad-Swann, of whom the only serious contribution so far has been a fifty from Cook and a clutch of wickets from Broad on day one of Test one, which seems a long time ago already.

The only hope England have now is if Mitchell Johnson turns his ankle over in the warm up tonight...

I'm not sure you're right Theno.

Some of the games (both cricket and football) that I've enjoyed have between nations that I've no particular favour for. The Bundeslige teams , when they are on the tv are usually a must for me. Love the way they play the game.

I know where you are coming from but imo it's like food without seasoning dave.

Effectively two down with three to go, England are down, and virtually out in this series already. The re-emergence of Johnson as game changer has swung what was a finely balanced contest into a procession now. Englands top order are walking wickets, the lower order bereft of any nerve, barring Broad.

The England side side built around the runs of Cook-Trott-KP-Prior, and the bowling of Anderson-Broad-Swann, of whom the only serious contribution so far has been a fifty from Cook and a clutch of wickets from Broad on day one of Test one, which seems a long time ago already.

The only hope England have now is if Mitchell Johnson turns his ankle over in the warm up tonight...

Um, I think you forgot Ian Bell, man of the series last summer ?

England need to bin the mung bean curry and remember what really wins matches. Razor sharp fielding, iron determination not to give your wicket away and bowlers hunting in packs. But most of all, being up for the fight. There's a thin line between chopping and changing and being too loyal. But surely some pllayers must be close to the push. Johnson's bowling great but we seem to be bereft of fight and spirit

Thank God it's not on steam tv. I haven't seen any of it, reading about it's bad enough. Following England and Rovers at the moment is like a bad dream. Too many players in both teams have got inflated ideas of their own ability. I'm not picking on one bloke but what has happened to Prior ? Even the wicket keepers who couldn't bat a lick ( Bob Taylor, Jack Russell etc ) did better than this. I can't remember an England player ever having such a bad run of form and still getting picked. Since Jim bigged him up earlier this year he's done nothing !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

What a spell of fast bowling from Johnson, one of the best that I have seen in a long time, the England batsmen are scared. And the next game is at The WACA the fastest bounciest wicket in test cricket and Johnson home ground, another humiliation beckons in the 3rd test unless England batsmen show some fight, instead of just caving in as soon as they face something sort. Johnson has re found the form that he showed back in 2009 when he blew South Africa away and its been brilliant to watch.

Edited by somersetrover

We need to grow some balls here. Facing fast bowling isn't pleasant but with the amount of modern protection equipment available to batsmen these days it should be do able. I remember Clive Lloyd letting loose the West Indies dogs of war when John Edrich and Brian Close were batting for England. Five bouncers an over, no helmets, just caps. In the papers the next day the photo's of Close in particular were awesome. You could see about 15 ball marks complete with seam lines on his torso, he didn't flinch.

I'm not saying for one minute Johnson has stepped over the line with his bowling, he hasn't , but the Windies did that day. I lost a lot of respect for Clive Lloyd in that match.

Thank God it's not on steam tv. I haven't seen any of it, reading about it's bad enough. Following England and Rovers at the moment is like a bad dream. Too many players in both teams have got inflated ideas of their own ability. I'm not picking on one bloke but what has happened to Prior ? Even the wicket keepers who couldn't bat a lick ( Bob Taylor, Jack Russell etc ) did better than this. I can't remember an England player ever having such a bad run of form and still getting picked. Since Jim bigged him up earlier this year he's done nothing !

Yes I must admit Prior's form has been a disappointment but then so has that of many players over the past 18 months. If Cook were not captain he might been dropped by now. I was defending Prior from attack by the anti-England Somerset supporter but like a few others Prior must be on a borrowed time now. Bairstow might come in and although he's a good wicketkeeper his batting technique to be honest is pretty awful.

I remember the photos of Close in the papers - his body covered in bruises. That West Indies side dished out far worse than Larwood was supposed to have done in the so-called "Bodyline" series (and yes they're still whingeing about it 70 years later). The point is the likes of Close and Boycott would never ever give up their wicket easily, which for old-timers makes the dismissals of Root and Pietersen yesterday even harder to take. I'm not surprised Sir Geoffrey went ape on the radio.

Prior's not on his own Jim, he's just one example. Do you think Bairstow would be an improvement all in all, probably not in my view.

I had a lot of time for Clive Lloyd up to that game, with him playing for Lancashire. We were talking the other day about the sporting line in cricket you don't step over. Lloyd and his team crossed it that day. They were seriously bowling to knock people out not get them out. As I said every over had about 4 or 5 bumpers ( this was in the day when you could bowl what you liked ) and the odd yorker. No real chance of scoring many runs, just head high stuff. Close and Edrich braved it out but how somebody wasn't seriously hurt I'll never know.

Cook gone already very irresponsible shot for the skipper to play. Quite why the umpire asked to look at the front foot in don't know, it seems almost compulsory now to check it.

England sticking with Root at 3, should be Bell batting there.

Edited by somersetrover

• Backroom

England 1-1 chasing 531 Cook gone

If the Aussies are ruthless they could end this in a few hours, we need to dig in for a few hours to settle the nerves

Edited by Tom M

I had tickets for the first three days but decided to forgo shelling out $250 for all five. One of my few fiscally sound decisions.

I thought England were ok on day one and were one spilled catch away from having a pretty good day. I went to day two expecting more attritional old school test cricket but Clarke was having none of it. It seems the Aussies returned to their nineties ethos of taking the game to the opposition. Sadly, this England side had no answer. It was a hard slog for them with Swann badly out of form and Anderson, great bowler that he is, posing no threat on a lifeless deck but even so they looked a sorry rabble trudging off after Clarke's declaration. You would have thought England's batsmen would have been chomping at the bit to get on that wicket but apparently not.

As for day three, well Root needs a kick up his backside for starters. Having seen off Johnson, Siddle and Harris he takes a swipe at the largely benign Lyon - crazy. He is a kid learning the game but he'd better learn quickly. What Pietersen did however, was unforgivable. He's an undeniably great talent but his ego gets in the way and it's time for him to go in my opinion after throwing his wicket away yesterday.

What bothers me is the complete lack of fight in this England side. Yes, Johnson is quick but he's no Holding, Marshall, Ambrose et al. To see England's batsmen cowering in front of him on such a dead strip is embarrassing. Those of us who live out here will now have to put up with Australia's insufferable media for the next couple of years. Terrible losers, even worse winners.

Lets hope England discover some cricketers with cajones in the meantime.

Another self-inflicted wicket thrown away. Surely surely a team cannot become this bad overnight?

Mitchell Johnson has been magnificent this series but some serious changes needed. No fight in the team apart from Bell. I'd like to think a lot are batting for their place and test careers. Especially Prior.

Another self-inflicted wicket thrown away. Surely surely a team cannot become this bad overnight?

Mitchell Johnson has been magnificent this series but some serious changes needed. No fight in the team apart from Bell. I'd like to think a lot are batting for their place and test careers. Especially Prior.

Dropping Haddin aside I think Carberry deserves some credit. He at least demonstrates some grit and determination to go with his ability.