BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Why the knee jerk reactions for changes, in the last 3 years this team has got it done for you, #1 test team, I say stick with them and see where they end up. Probably lose the series from here but there are World Class players in this England team that on paper are so much superior to their opposites in the baggy green.

Mind you, not bad for a crap bowling attack hey Jim.

Dropping Haddin aside I think Carberry deserves some credit. He at least demonstrates some grit and determination to go with his ability.

Barring that catch on day one, Carberry has been the only one who can come out with a bit of dignity in this match.

Root looks to be playing well and no doubt the talk of him coming in at 3 will disappear.

I had tickets for the first three days but decided to forgo shelling out $250 for all five. One of my few fiscally sound decisions.

I thought England were ok on day one and were one spilled catch away from having a pretty good day. I went to day two expecting more attritional old school test cricket but Clarke was having none of it. It seems the Aussies returned to their nineties ethos of taking the game to the opposition. Sadly, this England side had no answer. It was a hard slog for them with Swann badly out of form and Anderson, great bowler that he is, posing no threat on a lifeless deck but even so they looked a sorry rabble trudging off after Clarke's declaration. You would have thought England's batsmen would have been chomping at the bit to get on that wicket but apparently not.

As for day three, well Root needs a kick up his backside for starters. Having seen off Johnson, Siddle and Harris he takes a swipe at the largely benign Lyon - crazy. He is a kid learning the game but he'd better learn quickly. What Pietersen did however, was unforgivable. He's an undeniably great talent but his ego gets in the way and it's time for him to go in my opinion after throwing his wicket away yesterday.

What bothers me is the complete lack of fight in this England side. Yes, Johnson is quick but he's no Holding, Marshall, Ambrose et al. To see England's batsmen cowering in front of him on such a dead strip is embarrassing. Those of us who live out here will now have to put up with Australia's insufferable media for the next couple of years. Terrible losers, even worse winners.

Lets hope England discover some cricketers with cajones in the meantime.

You said it mate, the World's worst winners. Plenty of ability as players but no class as sportsmen.

Defeat is almost inevitable, but at least we have taken into day 5. Let's try and take it beyond lunch if possible so as put some miles into those Aussie bowlers legs with the Perth test being back to back with this one.

Bloody hell Kamy, Iwouldnt look forward to Perth too much. God knows how England's trembling batters will cope with Johnson on the WACA's bouncy track.

You said it mate, the World's worst winners. Plenty of ability as players but no class as sportsmen.

Rubbish.

It's as though you'd been in the sheds after the game. Not.

I note you didn't make the same comment after the RLWC win by the Aussies.

When Aussies lose, they are harder on themselves, and look for ways to improve.

There was a lot of introspection after a series of Ashes losses, lots of fiddling around the edges, but eventually they went back to basics, and it looks (only looks) at this stage that it might be working.

Time will tell.

At least Carberry and Root have the right idea.

Mentally some of England's players seem all over the shop. 500+ to win and Cook pulls it, not too clever.

It seems that Australia are winning not solely by talent, but by guts, nous and application. If England could only just find some fight, it would be far more of a contest. Don't just hand them the bloody urn on a platter.

Rubbish.

There was a lot of introspection after a series of Ashes losses, lots of fiddling around the edges, but eventually they went back to basics, and it looks (only looks) at this stage that it might be working.

Time will tell.

Maybe the more metropolitan Sydney press is a little more circumspect and introspective than than the big country town media in Adelaide. Back in 2010/11 you'd have thought cricket wasn't played in Australia, now the xenophobic gloating is quite spiteful. Edited by chris_h

Maybe the more metropolitan Sydney press is a little more circumspect and introspective than than the big country town media in Adelaide. Back in 2010/11 you'd have thought cricket wasn't played in Australia, now the xenophobic gloating is quite spiteful.

....and that is different from the sports press reporting in England?

I think not...

oh, and the sports press reporting in Sydney is nothing short of... opinions of a reporter.... one wonders whether they went to the game. There are (and were) a few exceptions, Jim Maxwell (ABC) being one, and Peter Roebuck (deceased) was another.

It seems like England are a bit too pampered and bow their heads at the first sign of adversity.

I can't accept that, Bryan.

The've been a good side in the past. You don't win a series in India by being mediocre.

Complacency? Maybe. Though they should have realised that the 3-0 win last English summer was a lot closer than 3-0.

Age? three months shouldn't change a team that much.

Maybe that Lehmann has found them out. So maybe you need an English coach (like a Botham) who can instill that patriotism that can make players work harder, respect their wicket that bit more (like Root did today).

....and that is different from the sports press reporting in England?

I think not...

oh, and the sports press reporting in Sydney is nothing short of... opinions of a reporter.... one wonders whether they went to the game. There are (and were) a few exceptions, Jim Maxwell (ABC) being one, and Peter Roebuck (deceased) was another.

There has been some Aussie baiting in the English tabloids but even the Sun has an excellent cricket writer in John Etheridge who manages to report on the game with balance and fairness. Here in Adelaide the only alternative to the local rag is 'The Australian'. To be fair, I haven't read their reports but the headlines didn't look much different to those in the more low rent local tabloid.

Yes, some of the gloating in the English tabloids was a bit cringeworthy during the previous two Ashes series but at least you don't have too far to look for an alternative in the UK.

There has been some Aussie baiting in the English tabloids but even the Sun has an excellent cricket writer in John Etheridge who manages to report on the game with balance and fairness. Here in Adelaide the only alternative to the local rag is 'The Australian'. To be fair, I haven't read their reports but the headlines didn't look much different to those in the more low rent local tabloid.

Yes, some of the gloating in the English tabloids was a bit cringeworthy during the previous two Ashes series but at least you don't have too far to look for an alternative in the UK.

Chris, 100% of the newspapers in Adelaide are Murdoch. They want to sensationalise everything.

Years ago the Australian was a good newspaper (funnily enough) started up by Murdoch, but it has become a laughing stock and the leader of the pack against the ABC.

Australian MSM is a joke.

Anyway, back to the cricket....

signs of a fightback. I don't expect England to win, but at least they are trying.

Chris, 100% of the newspapers in Adelaide are Murdoch. They want to sensationalise everything.

Years ago the Australian was a good newspaper (funnily enough) started up by Murdoch, but it has become a laughing stock and the leader of the pack against the ABC.

Australian MSM is a joke.

Anyway, back to the cricket....

signs of a fightback. I don't expect England to win, but at least they are trying.

At least the penny seems to have dropped with Joe Root.

On Saturday morning, before he gave his wicket away, Root was exasperating the locals by stonewalling the Aussie quicks. This prompted a shout of ' Have a go Ellen Degeneres!'

I h. Those of us who live out here will now have to put up with Australia's insufferable media for the next couple of years. Terrible losers, even worse winners.

We all hate losing but the Australian media has no class when it comes to winning. I feel sorry for you living there but at least you can access some decent quality British journalism online.

Etheridge is good and of course the Sun is owned by Murdoch too. Ownership is a red herring anyway. The difference is in the quality of the journalists and the journalism. In general the one-eyed nature of the reporting in Australia is childish and pathetic.

Edited by jim mk2

We all hate losing but the Australian media has no class when it comes to winning. I feel sorry for you living there but at least you can access some decent quality British ournalism online.

I bought the 'Weekly Guardian' to read during lunch. $6 well spent.

It seems like England are a bit too pampered and bow their heads at the first sign of adversity.

Don't agree with that but I would say they appear to have gone into this series underprepared and lacking a plan. There were rumblings about Flower not renewing his contract a while back and I'm wondering if he's had enough. Change at the top isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A

Mentally some of England's players seem all over the shop. 500+ to win and Cook pulls it, not too clever.

Cook is one of the biggest disappointments so far but he's had tough times in the past and always come back stronger. He's still only 27-28 and is not yet at his peak. He could break all England batting records before he is finished.

Close was a proper hardcase

That Yorkshire dressing room with Close, Illingworth, Trueman and Boycott must have been something else. No place for any fancy dans and wimps I'd suggest...... and most definietly no place for any black or brown players either. Maybe Clive Lloyds treatment of Close was down to racism by both sides.

Edited by thenodrog

That Yorkshire dressing room with Close, Illingworth, Trueman and Boycott must have been something else. No place for any fancy dans and wimps I'd suggest...... and most definietly no place for any black or brown players either. Maybe Clive Lloyds treatment of Close was down to racism by both sides.

Add Botham, Gough and Flintoff and you have the basis of a Northern team that would be more than happy to face down Aussie posturing.

Could be, there was certainly an intent to injure people more than get them out.

Rubbish.

Time will tell.

I've been a sports player and then fan for 50 years Dave and nothing has changed re Australia. Last real sportsman to lead the Australian cricket team was Ritchie Benaud. Since then it's been a succession of snarling guys. Nobody likes losing , I understand bad losers. Bad winners I can't figure out. You've won that's enough. After the game you sympathise with your opponents, we all know that in most games the line between winning and losing can be a fine one. A dropped catch, a dodgy umpiring decision, most games hinge on little stuff like that.

Funny how several other posters have all picked up on the same point.