BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

"I feel that now is the right time to step down."

Really? For whom?

Clearly he doesn't care about the prospect of a whitewash. Maybe they've already forfeited.

Unless he's been asked to quit then that's pretty gutless not to stay and fight until the end of the series.

It really is like we just had no intention to compete in this series whatsoever. I feel a bit sorry for our Australian cousins. It's been a pretty hollow victory for them, with both sets of fans being short-changed.

Seems out of character. Maybe he's been dropped and has decided to come home for Christmas. Maybe his missus is 'bothering'. Maybe a parent / child is poorly, maybe too much cricket without a decent break. Maybe a dozen reasons.

Best to wait and see.

Edited by thenodrog

Guest Norbert

Swann has been our best spinner for years. It will be interesting to see who'll take his place. Patel is too fat, Monty is comical in the field and with a bat, and I can't really think of any others. We might simply end up with another dobber in the Giles mould who simply don't spin the ball.

Extraordinary decision by Swann really, especially the timing of it. Couldn't he have waited until the end of the series ? Early 30s is too young to retire to for a slow bowler. As a club player who played until my fifth decade I wasn't even at my peak at 33 !

As with Trott however i think there may be a subtext with his decision. Probably involving his marriage.

Guest Norbert

It is crazy the amount of time our players spend on tour. Even when they are in England, they still have to go to hotels etc. so they don't get to see much of friends and family. Not that the ECB give a sh_t as they count the money, but if this carries on, I can see many more players experiencing burnt out nerves and family problems. Which of course will lead to retirements such as Trott as Trescothick.

It seems Swann has been having a little swipe at some (unnamed) team mates.

Those things are better left unsaid. All it does is create rumours about those that are still up for it.

Shame, it's all unravelling for him, after a pretty good career.

Graeme, you should have left, and said nothing.

Apparently he has now said he was referring to the likes of Michael Vaughan and Derek Pringle.

He should give Twitter and Facebook a rest for a while.

http://m.sportsfan.com.au/TOPSPORTSTORIES/Default.aspx?pg=nw&sid=3&articleId=9256&mob=bom_AGGS__T_A__SN_34__FN_19__N_+Swann+denies+criticising+England&cid=AGGS__T_A__SN_34__FN_19__N_+Swann+denies+criticising+England&mob=bom_AGGS__T_A&cid=AGGS__T_A

Edited by SouthAussieRover

Swann is backtracking big time on the comments he made, he deffo wasn't referring to Vaughen and Pringle when he said ""Some people playing the game at the minute have no idea how far up their own backsides they are,"

Now it could be players from another team but to me when I read that comment I immediately thought that he was talking about KP.

Just seen the scorecard - almost everybody got in and then got out. Not good enough.

Quite right. Six wickets down and at least 100 runs short. Pietersen dropped twice too. England's batting has been a problem for almost 2 years now.