BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

It was said in commentary that the bowling coach was probably the man that suggested Root open, but when Chris Gayle never opened the batting, that wasn't a given, and bottom line is Morgans the captain and ultimately has the final say, so he deserves some credit.

But hey its not worth rowing over, we lost, I can accept that, if only Rovers had as bright a future as Stokes and England cricket team :tu:

Not a row Gav, just a simple discussion about whether Morgan is fit to be captain of England. Its perfectly okay to disagree :)

Stokes merely fed the shot whereas a grizzled old league pro would have put the the ball in the block. Poor bowling.

I'm sure there's a great deal of pressure on the bowler, but surely you have to vary it a bit if you're whupped for a couple of consecutive sixes. It might not do the trick, but surely better than bowling pretty much identical deliveries. Dig it in short, hold back and bowl a slower ball, a yorker length ball if you trust yourself. Yep it's easier after the event, but that's basic stuff.

I'm sure there's a great deal of pressure on the bowler, but surely you have to vary it a bit if you're whupped for a couple of consecutive sixes. It might not do the trick, but surely better than bowling pretty much identical deliveries. Dig it in short, hold back and bowl a slower ball, a yorker length ball if you trust yourself. Yep it's easier after the event, but that's basic stuff.

That's what I thought as well. With the batsmanship first move being to get his front leg out of the way, a wide Yorker would have been the ball. Stokes just looked like a rabbit in headlights. Don't think him or Morgan were thinking straight.

• Like 2

Just thought I'd pop in to deliver some genuine comisserations. I didn't watch the game but saw the highlights the next morning. With 19 off the last over you would feel reasonably confident of victory. I agree that Stoke's choice of deliveries was a bit puzzling, my English work colleague says that Stokes did have an excellent tournament with the ball.

He's a lucky, lucky boy. I'm sure he won't feel like that today but believe me he is. They have found it before it had a chance to kill him on a cricket field. Hopefully he'll get the treatment and live a relatively normal life, albeit not as an elite sportsman. Get well soon lad.

This lad wasn't so lucky http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36022324

Edited by oldjamfan1

I thought that as well, it's a good job they caught this early really!

As we all know, Fabrice Muamba should really be dead now. Same condition.

(I have a bit of insider knowledge here as I had a heart attack on the football field at the age of 38 in Glasgow and luckily I'm still telling the tale almost 15 years later)

• Like 1

Shocking news. Shame for him and English cricket. The top order starting to look a bit weak because struggling for an opener, no 3 and now a no 5.

Cook

?

?

Root

?

Stokes

Bairstow

Hales, Compton, lyth, Robson, carberry at various points all looked poor. Ali and ballance hit and miss. Lees untested. Jason roy and bell Drummond prob not up to it yet. Maybe Buttler could slot in at 5 instead of Taylor.

Shocking news. Shame for him and English cricket. The top order starting to look a bit weak because struggling for an opener, no 3 and now a no 5.

Cook

?

?

Root

?

Stokes

Bairstow

Hales, Compton, lyth, Robson, carberry at various points all looked poor. Ali and ballance hit and miss. Lees untested. Jason roy and bell Drummond prob not up to it yet. Maybe Buttler could slot in at 5 instead of Taylor.

Dare I mention _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ?

Ha. Kp did say was open to playing for South Africa when becomes eligible 2018. But wouldn't like to throw petrol on that situation seems to get folk all revved up on here.

In general we do appear to be in the mercenary age of international sport where just because you're born in a country, to parents both born in that same country and even grew up in that same country you can still represent whoever you bloody well want so long as been there on holiday once or twice.

Not doing so bad at the moment but England are one of the worst offenders. I even heard the other day that Ben stokes (who I assumed to paraphrase that Spurs song is one of our own) is in fact New Zealand born, to New Zealand parents and only came here when he was 10 ish.

That's a bit of a shock. Touted future England Captain, age 26.

At least he's in good hands.

Dreadful news about Taylor. Having to give up a game he loved playing at 26 is terrible.

A real blow for England too - a very good batsman at all forms of the game..

Ha. Kp did say was open to playing for South Africa when becomes eligible 2018. But wouldn't like to throw petrol on that situation seems to get folk all revved up on here.

In general we do appear to be in the mercenary age of international sport where just because you're born in a country, to parents both born in that same country and even grew up in that same country you can still represent whoever you bloody well want so long as been there on holiday once or twice.

Not doing so bad at the moment but England are one of the worst offenders. I even heard the other day that Ben stokes (who I assumed to paraphrase that Spurs song is one of our own) is in fact New Zealand born, to New Zealand parents and only came here when he was 10 ish.

This is nonsense. England haven't "offended" at anything.

Dreadful news about Taylor. Having to give up a game he loved playing at 26 is terrible.

A real blow for England too - a very good batsman at all forms of the game..

This is nonsense. England haven't "offended" at anything.

What is it you're taking issue with here the word offended or the fact England are playing foreign born players a lot of whom don't have an English parents either. If it's the latter:

Trott, pitersen, Strauss, Compton, Morgan, stokes, keiswetter, prior, ambrose, Jordan, owais shah, Nasser Hussain just a few of the recent ones off top of my head. Before those Allan lamb, robin smith, caddick, etc.

Some great players who have done great things for us to be sure so when if comes to capping dubiously English people yes I think we are one of the worst.

Where does it stop oh that kholi looks like a decent player for India bung him a bit of cash give him a passport and by the way fella you're playing in the ashes next week.

You surely must make a distinction between coming from say New Zealand as a kid- listen to his Cumbrian accent! And say KP coming over as an adult because he couldn't get in the South African Under 19 side (though his mother is English).

We have generally seen a big influx of South Africans into the UK over the past 15 years or so, especially middle class families- so it is likely that the kids would carry on the cricket they played in their South African schools.

Eoin Morgan? Hmmm might be with you on that one.

What is it you're taking issue with here the word offended or the fact England are playing foreign born players a lot of whom don't have an English parents either. If it's the latter:

Trott, pitersen, Strauss, Compton, Morgan, stokes, keiswetter, prior, ambrose, Jordan, owais shah, Nasser Hussain just a few of the recent ones off top of my head. Before those Allan lamb, robin smith, caddick, etc.

Some great players who have done great things for us to be sure so when if comes to capping dubiously English people yes I think we are one of the worst.

Where does it stop oh that kholi looks like a decent player for India bung him a bit of cash give him a passport and by the way fella you're playing in the ashes next week.

Strauss has English parents, went to Radley school and Durham University.

Compton is related to the late England great Denis Compton, has made England his home.

Morgan is Irish but Irish, Scots and Welsh players have always played for England.

Stokes came here when he was young, has lived in Cumbria ever since and talks like a good northern lad.

Nasser Hussain has lived in England since he was child and rose to be England captain.

Trott's lived here since his late teens, his family home is in Birmingham and he has put down roots here, same with Pietersen and all the rest you mention.

England's only "offence" (to some people) is that it is a multicultural open society that accepts and integrates people from all over the world - including cricketers.

I'm not sure what your problem is.

Strauss has English parents, went to Radley school and Durham University.

Compton is related to the late England great Denis Compton, has made England his home.

Morgan is Irish but Irish, Scots and Welsh players have always played for England.

Stokes came here when he was young, has lived in Cumbria ever since and talks like a good northern lad.

Nasser Hussain has lived in England since he was child and rose to be England captain.

Trott's lived here since his late teens, his family home is in Birmingham and he has put down roots here, same with Pietersen and all the rest you mention.

England's only "offence" (to some people) is that it is a multicultural open society that accepts and integrates people from all over the world - including cricketers.

I'm not sure what your problem is.

If someone has 2 foreign parents who decided to live here and subsequently may have picked up an accent along the way that doesn't make them English in the same way if I moved to China it wouldn't make me Chinese.

You'll not convince me they should be playing I won't convince you so let's leave it at that.

Edited by matt83

• Backroom

If someone has 2 foreign parents who decided to live here and subsequently may have picked up an accent along the way that doesn't make them English in the same way if I moved to China it wouldn't make me Chinese.

You'll not convince me they should be playing I won't convince you so let's leave it at that.

Gee, I'd hate to see you look at the parentage of many of our Olympians.

Ahhh, nationality and parentage...the debate that will never end....

Was George Orwell a famous Indian novelist?

George_Orwell_press_photo.jpg

As he doesn't look so Venky to me..........

Anyway, Morgan probably dislikes England deep down.........I've noticed he never sings the National anthem (as he'd probably get vilified back in his native Ireland).

I see Lancs have started the season well. I know it's only the first 2 days.........but to lose the toss and bowl Notts out and then get a first innings lead (still with wickets to go) is no mean feat - especially since they are most people's relegation candidates this season - mostly due to a fragile batting line-up.

• Like 2