BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

1 hour ago, den said:

Hope it stops raining Gav. Not convinced about day/night test matches in this country to be honest.

The forecast isn't good den, almost sold out for first few days, really captured the imagination, let's hope the rain stays away.

Shouldn't need long to beat the Windies.

Edited by Gav

I'll give it a go, but test matches are often about patience, about the long game, about probing the opposition over many hours if needed. I don't think that translates to day night. They could start a little later,, so more people catch the last session at home, but this is too far for me.

They need to look at ways to get more hours tv coverage during weekends to strengthen viewing figures, but essentially cricket sold itself to the devil when it left massive viewing figures on ch4 for the 2005 ashes for the quick sky buck. Unfortunately although sky do a good job on their coverage, the masses ain't going to pay sky 80 quid a month for 8 summer test matches in the UK, and some (usually) overnight tests in the subcontinent or Australia.

Really enjoying the cricket today, a breath of fresh air to be watching cricket on home soil well into the evening, although the W indies are pretty poor.

Just witnessed the Windies coach almost have a heart attack, got Root out with seam bowling, then they declined the new ball and played 2 spinners! at a time when the new ball is supposed to be at its most dangerous playing seam!

The coach was having kittens :lol:

18 minutes ago, Gav said:

Really enjoying the cricket today, a breath of fresh air to be watching cricket on home soil well into the evening, although the W indies are pretty poor.

Just witnessed the Windies coach almost have a heart attack, got Root out with seam bowling, then they declined the new ball and played 2 spinners! at a time when the new ball is supposed to be at its most dangerous playing seam!

The coach was having kittens :lol:

Not for me, and looking at the ground, not for the paying public either. Especially anyone with kids.

I don't think it's high paced enough for evening entertainment. I could see a game running maybe till 8pm. However it doesn't really help when it's not competitive, England look like they could bat for 3 days here.

50 minutes ago, Baz said:

Not for me, and looking at the ground, not for the paying public either. Especially anyone with kids.

I don't think it's high paced enough for evening entertainment. I could see a game running maybe till 8pm. However it doesn't really help when it's not competitive, England look like they could bat for 3 days here.

You can only take on the team thats put in front on you Baz, looked competitive at 39-2

70,000 tickets sold for this test I heard, so its here to stay, but a while until we see another due to scheduling I believe.

22 minutes ago, Gav said:

You can only take on the team thats put in front on you Baz, looked competitive at 39-2

70,000 tickets sold for this test I heard, so its here to stay, but a while until we see another due to scheduling I believe.

I guess We'll see with time, but the biggest issue I'd say is that in this country, bar a random few nights, it's going to be cold in the stands. Secondly the finish time is a good hour too late, esp for anyone wanting to take children. 

're tickets sold, bar the early summer games at Cardiff or Durham, England pretty much sell out the first 3 days of any test. The bigger test is the viewing figures...(channel 5 won't be happy, their highlights show is on at midnight!)

I did like the pink ball, was really easy to see.

I believe one of this winter's ashes is day night, so I don't know how that will work in terms of viewing times in the UK, but if they can get viewing times that are palitable for both sets of fans, that would be very interesting. 

I don't know how much sky are paying, but it would be really good if we could get a couple of tests a year minimum on terrestrial tv. 

42 minutes ago, Baz said:

I guess We'll see with time, but the biggest issue I'd say is that in this country, bar a random few nights, it's going to be cold in the stands. Secondly the finish time is a good hour too late, esp for anyone wanting to take children. 

're tickets sold, bar the early summer games at Cardiff or Durham, England pretty much sell out the first 3 days of any test. The bigger test is the viewing figures...(channel 5 won't be happy, their highlights show is on at midnight!)

I did like the pink ball, was really easy to see.

I believe one of this winter's ashes is day night, so I don't know how that will work in terms of viewing times in the UK, but if they can get viewing times that are palitable for both sets of fans, that would be very interesting. 

I don't know how much sky are paying, but it would be really good if we could get a couple of tests a year minimum on terrestrial tv. 

Midnight for cricket highlights is so Z-list.

A good idea to try it for this series, the present Windies side aren't exactly box office, so the first day/nighter in England will have helped flog tickets - plus there's an Ashes day/nighter at Adelaide coming up.

The main summer series against Australia, South Africa, India, Pakistan generally sell well anyway, so there's not much point in day/nighters, however the early summer Tests against Sri Lanka etc. are a tougher sell, though wrong time of the summer for floodlit cricket. 

It's not an easy issue for the ECB to get right...

Edited by Mattyblue

On 13/08/2017 at 14:57, Gav said:

Flintoff turning the T20 coverage into a lads locker room, he should stick to pantomime and leave the comedy to Bumble. 

It's always been a bit schoolboy hasn't it. What with the ribbing and 'bullying' - fat boy Rob Key and his pie eating etc. etc.

But Freddy has taken it to new levels.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Bloody good show by Yorkshire and Lyth and good on the Test match commentators for the nod. I managed to see the last 2 overs by Yorks.

Unlucky. They were the worst 2 overs. ^_^ Just 11 runs as I recall.

I thought they were going to get the record and it all ended up a bit of a damp squid - kind of like a Bowyer play-off push.

Edited by Husky

1 hour ago, Husky said:

Unlucky. They were the worst 2 overs. ^_^ Just 11 runs as I recall.

I thought they were going to get the record and it all ended up a bit of a damp squid - kind of like a Bowyer play-off push.

Yes, just got to see a few Yorks wickets go including Lyth.

I was well into the Test match.

Yorkshire didn't qualify after all that. :D Lancs crap as usual.

As for the test match. WI 145-8. I'm wondering if England will enforce the follow on. It makes sense in regards to wrapping up the match asap. But at the same time - this test is also about giving some practice to newer test match players like Stoneman, Malan, Westley . . A likely innings win would obviously mean no batting practice for those guys.

Chairman believes Lancs on the brink of something big. 

"Now, with The Point, redeveloped pavilion and hotel all in place and able to generate non-cricketing revenue greater than any other county ground, Hodgkiss feels the club is in a wonderful position – especially with the new city-based T20 tournament due to start in 2020 and a hectic 2019 which will see the club host an Ashes Test and a World Cup semi-final."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/cricket/lancashire-david-hodgkiss-one-love-13518967.amp?service=responsive

Edited by den

On 25/08/2017 at 20:12, den said:

Chairman believes Lancs on the brink of something big. 

"Now, with The Point, redeveloped pavilion and hotel all in place and able to generate non-cricketing revenue greater than any other county ground, Hodgkiss feels the club is in a wonderful position – especially with the new city-based T20 tournament due to start in 2020 and a hectic 2019 which will see the club host an Ashes Test and a World Cup semi-final."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/cricket/lancashire-david-hodgkiss-one-love-13518967.amp?service=responsive

Well making the right sounds but I'm not buying it. An extra 5,000 seats onto a stadium with ever dwindling support seems mad. The test match attendance was very poor on Sunday and embarrassingly didn't sell out Friday or Saturday. But at least he has realised the Lancs support is pathetic compared to what it should be and conceded they've effectively taken their eye off the cricketing side with 2 relegations in last 5 years and avoiding relegation because of results elsewhere last season, a decade of woeful 50 overs cricket and since won t20 finally not reached knockout stages.

Frankly actions speak louder than words and being a cynic I reckon this wave of optimism about the future from the club was designed to purely coincided with the recent announcement of 2018 membership packages. Swell the numbers then do bugger all. Repeat.

First rule of survival is when things cut up rough, talk about the future and paint a picture that some nirvana is waiting around the corner if only we sit tight. I hope he's right and it's not just empty words...

Edited by matt83

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

Well making the right sounds but I'm not buying it. An extra 5,000 seats onto a stadium with ever dwindling support seems mad. The test match attendance was very poor on Sunday and embarrassingly didn't sell out Friday or Saturday. But at least he has realised the Lancs support is pathetic compared to what it should be and conceded they've effectively taken their eye off the cricketing side with 2 relegations in last 5 years and avoiding relegation because of results elsewhere last season, a decade of woeful 50 overs cricket and since won t20 finally not reached knockout stages.

Frankly actions speak louder than words and being a cynic I reckon this wave of optimism about the future from the club was designed to purely coincided with the recent announcement of 2018 membership packages. Swell the numbers then do bugger all. Repeat.

First rule of survival is when things cut up rough, talk about the future and paint a picture that some nirvana is waiting around the corner if only we sit tight. I hope he's right and it's not just empty words...

My initial reaction was something similar . . . yet more flippant.

Are they going to buy Beckham and Ronaldinho too?

All the talk sounds a bit Venkyish. Lancs is a jobs for the boys place where commercial success is the key, whilst the cricket is something that happens in the background.

• Like 1

Bairstow even worse, what the hell was that shot with the game in the balance.

Boycott just said "More brains in a pork pie" :lol:

We've lost the ability to wait for the bad balls. we've lost the ability to block up an end, its probably the T20 era, which is fantastic but doesn't help produce players who have the brains, temperament and ability to play test match innings.