BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

28 minutes ago, Gav said:

Bairstow even worse, what the hell was that shot with the game in the balance.

Boycott just said "More brains in a pork pie" :lol:

We've lost the ability to wait for the bad balls. we've lost the ability to block up an end, its probably the T20 era, which is fantastic but doesn't help produce players who have the brains, temperament and ability to play test match innings. 

We've just beaten South Africa 3-1 Gav and lead Windies 1-0. 

Patience Gav.

20 minutes ago, den said:

Patience Gav.

Sorry den but it doesn't excuse poor shot selection, you'll not get away with it in Australia where bags of runs are required to win, happens far to often for my liking. 

Edited by Gav

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Have you Aussies play recently?

Not in form either

Irrelevant Chaddy, this is the Ashes we're talking about in Australia, form goes out of the window.

England just declared, well done Joe Root, shows confidence in our bowling attack after a poor showing in the 1st innings, Anderson aside.

Just over 8,000 on today, that's a poor showing in my book despite the prices.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Irrelevant Chaddy, this is the Ashes we're talking about in Australia, form goes out of the window.

England just declared, well done Joe Root, shows confidence in our bowling attack after a poor showing in the 1st innings, Anderson aside.

Just over 8,000 on today, that's a poor showing in my book despite the prices.

sorry but form doesn't go out of the window for me.

their top 6 is similar to ours.

The England declaration was positive and good by Root.

sorry but people will be away on holiday or have other things to pay for at this stage of the summer. Plus factor in that West Indies aren't the best team either. if it was Australia, South Africa or India the ground would be full.

On 28/08/2017 at 15:53, den said:

Patience Gav.

No excuse for poor shots den :P

Root did the right thing in my book declaring, but dropping 4 catches and some tremendous batting by the WI made for a fantastic test match and well deserved win for WI.

Looking forward to the next one now, who needs football....

• Like 1

Big England fan, off to t'Ashes in November :)

However, there are only a limited number of Test playing nations and seeing that Windies performance at Edgbaston, following on from Sri Lanka's rapid decline worried me about the future of this great format.

So yesterday was a great day for Test cricket, now lets win the series at Lord's. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Gabba, my mate has family in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast, so we get digs for free, result!

For years we've said 'we'll definitely do the next Ashes tour'... and we don't, so we've finally bit the bullet!

Excellent. 

We made the same call for Melbourne and Sydney in 2010/2011 tour. We were fortunate enough to see 3-1 series win with 2 wins. If you'd have told me that in the 90s I'd have thought it was nonsense. So many high points beating them basically on Boxing Day skittling them out for 98 then having big mouth Aussies say let's see you bat (why wouldn't they) only for us to put on 150/0 ish by stumps. Day started with about 90,000 fans it ended with about 30,000, 20,000 of whom seemed to be English. 

Then in Sydney put on 650 which is the highest England score downunder ever. And who could forget mercilessly rattling Mitchel Johnson. The power of a support to throw off an opposition player so drastically. 

It was a pure joy to catch any Australia news bulletin or newspaper. They make our tabloid media look like shrinking violets. 

Ah memories. I sincerely hope you see similar success.

ps you might catch the cricket touring bug since then we've been to India, West Indies and South Africa. 

Re Mitchell Johnson this was also a quality moment in the scg I found on YouTube few months ago. Tremlett got brad "the simple man" Haddin out then in comes in Mitch their last line of batting defence....

To say test cricket is rather gentile, compared to football, that wicket was like being in a football crowd. Beer flying everywhere, arms and legs in the air. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, matt83 said:

Hameed has broken a finger. Sums up his pretty dismal summer. 

From what I have seen he initially tried to change his approach to the way he bats and that backfired and he totally lost form.  Recent weeks he has gone back to what he was doing previously, occupying the crease and slowly building his innings (perfect for test cricket in my opinion) and has looked better.

The injury might be a blessing in disguise, given his up and down form this year probably better that he doesn't go on Ashes tour where the pressure and scrutiny will be intense.  Instead he can spend the time fully recovering from this latest injury and then work on his game/go and play some domestic cricket in Australia/South Africa or even India as he has done previously and get ready for next season with Lancs/England.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

From what I have seen he initially tried to change his approach to the way he bats and that backfired and he totally lost form.  Recent weeks he has gone back to what he was doing previously, occupying the crease and slowly building his innings (perfect for test cricket in my opinion) and has looked better.

The injury might be a blessing in disguise, given his up and down form this year probably better that he doesn't go on Ashes tour where the pressure and scrutiny will be intense.  Instead he can spend the time fully recovering from this latest injury and then work on his game/go and play some domestic cricket in Australia/South Africa or even India as he has done previously and get ready for next season with Lancs/England.

Also he's only young, 20?, it's not unheard of of younger players being more erratic in form. He needs to be given time.

I'd be tempted to go with

Cook, Stoneman, Hales, Malan, root, bairstow, stokes, Ali, woakes, broad, jimmy

Westley didn't inspire with with massive confidence and apparently root doesn't want to play 3 again which means there's issues there but personally would like to see hales squeezed in somewhere.

In terms of the rest of the squad I think England A rather than the lions are also out there touring so effectively I'd take the rest. Duckett, Browne, Westley, ballance, Clarke, foakes (seems to be getting nod over jos for reserve wk), buttler, rolland-Jones, wood, Dawson, crane. Anyone that's ever seen a cricket pitch.