BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Some poor batting today by Cook, Vince, Root, Ali. All could have played better shots. 

@Mattyblue I have no problems with Cricket being on Sky as their coverage is first class and some great commentators. But during our summer of cricket there is highlights on channel 5.

But this ashes series is on bt sport who bought the Austrailia cricket rights for the UK a couple of years ago and I believe double what Sky was paying for them. Crazy cos they probably arent getting enough viewers to funds these deals. There is highlights on their website available for free but Nothing on tv. Which is unacceptable and I dont see they cant show free highlights on bt showcase on freeview and sky so every cricket fan can see some cricket for free. 

I work nights so I listen to the cricket coverage on radio 5 live extra which is decent but not like watching it on tv. But I not going to 26 pounds extra a month to watch it. I wont pay it for the football coverage so wont for cricket. I spent over 100 pounds for sky and everything they offered. Very good quality in my opinion and family opinion

The ECB has been ripping fans off for years on ticket prices too. I paid £84 for a standard ticket at the last Ashes. 

The number of kids attending is droppng outside t20 too.

The Ashes are on BT and the tour of New Zealand is on Sky so to see both series youd need to be spending 60 odd quid a month minimum. I'd also disagree with Chaddy, a 1 hour highlights program doesn't give you any real insight into a days play, There should be at least one test from each series on terrestrial tv, and I'd like to see a return to county matches being shown live too, and 1 T20 game per weekend being shown live on each Saturday afternoon on free tv (Not evening - so younger kids can watch).

Ticket prices are out of control and the ECB need to drop the prices..

A hour highlights is enough for me when I used to work days and some of time listen to the radio 5 live coverage aswell. Cos I couldnt spend all night watching 2 or 3 hours highlights. 

Working nights will allow me to watch some of the day play. I can watch a hour highlights on my phone when on dinner. 

Would county cricket be popular to watch?

I barely watch 20twenty cricket as I actually prefer test cricket myself

19 minutes ago, pg said:

Should Australia have enforced the follow-on?

Honestly, the Aussies are so far ahead in the game it doesn't matter. England would need to get 7 more wickets for around 50 runs to have a chance, and I can' see them getting the wickets or the runs.

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ticket prices are out of control and the ECB need to drop the prices..

A hour highlights is enough for me when I used to work days and some of time listen to the radio 5 live coverage aswell. Cos I couldnt spend all night watching 2 or 3 hours highlights. 

Working nights will allow me to watch some of the day play. I can watch a hour highlights on my phone when on dinner. 

Would county cricket be popular to watch?

I barely watch 20twenty cricket as I actually prefer test cricket myself

The point being that most people wouldn't be listening to the commentary. You want people hooked and really involved, highlights don't do that.

Would county cricket be popular? Not especially, but it may attract people, and I'm sure some people would rather watch it than loose women etc.

I prefer test cricket too, but t20 is a big success, good fun and is a great introduction to cricket for youngsters who probably don't have the patience for watching test cricket.

22 minutes ago, Baz said:

The point being that most people wouldn't be listening to the commentary. You want people hooked and really involved, highlights don't do that.

Would county cricket be popular? Not especially, but it may attract people, and I'm sure some people would rather watch it than loose women etc.

I prefer test cricket too, but t20 is a big success, good fun and is a great introduction to cricket for youngsters who probably don't have the patience for watching test cricket.

I rather watch most sports than normal daytime tv. Watch alot of boxsets on sky tv aswell

I dont disagree with the county cricket on tv but it can be boring at times. Which might put people off. 

If test cricket was on normal tv for one test surely it would be best if it was during the 6 weeks holiday for kids. Get kids involved then. 

The ECB didnt do enough to get kids and adults more involved after 2005. But I fell out of favour with my local club in 2004 as the club wasnt run correctly and certain people kids got special treatment cos they were on the board or gave money to the club. Alot of clubs are run this way. Sad but trie

13 hours ago, Baz said:

Honestly, the Aussies are so far ahead in the game it doesn't matter. England would need to get 7 more wickets for around 50 runs to have a chance, and I can' see them getting the wickets or the runs.

Mm, Mystic Baz ?  Funny old game cricket. 

The Aussies should have made us follow on like we should have batted first. Two strange decisions.

I think we'll fall short in the run chase, we let them get a 100 too many in the first innings.

If anybody is in Perth for the test match at the WACA, and fancies going to watch Perth Glory v Wellington Pheonix on Sat 16th 7.00pm KO (WA Time) , got two vouchers with my PG season ticket that  can be exchanged for FREE Match tickets on day of match. Just send me a DM if interested .

p.s if you need more than two might be able to get a couple more

After 2 and a bit tests finally shown some mettle. At 130/4 I envisaged a 200 all out job. Don’t fancy us bowling them out twice here though.

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah but no thanks to the Cook and Root. What's gone wrong there ?

Didn’t hear it myself but apparently TMS were writing cook off saying his reflexes are gone. He’s scored 641 runs this year. 243 in one against WI who are effectively a county side. They were saying his fielding has been ropey this year and today he was beaten for pace on a straight one.

Seems tad premature to me but admittedly he’s been terrible this series. Hopefully will have first ton of series soon. But if TMS has a point might be calling it a day before too long. If he’s milestone driven he’ll almost certainly go for 12,000 test runs (350 ish off). A vaguely decent tour from here he’ll go past Jayawardene. Next summer he should catch Chanderpaul, Lara and maybe Sangakarra. 

Edited by matt83

Good day for England, but there’s a long way to go yet. Warns reckons 400+ will see a good contest, while the guys on 5live reckon 550 to give England a chance of a win. I tend to agree with 5live. However, I’ll be amazed and very happy if we get anywhere near to that score. Anything less than that will, I reckon, see the Aussies at least level on first innings and that would be a worry for me. We must have a sizeable lead of 100 or more to be able to put real pressure on them. But..... so far, so good.

ps. What were the selectors thinking of playing Bairstow lower down the order? He’s a class act now, even if he is from the wrong part of England.

Edited by den
  • Like 1

We’re no strangers to a series whitewash but this is shaping up to be up there with one of the most humiliating tours to date.

Other morning about an hour in was woken so checked the score and we were 350/4 ish both on decent 100s and the new ball long gone. So I thought good tomorrow morning 480 minimum could and perhaps should be 550+. At that point went back to sleep thinking we cannot lose from here and could win. Fast forward to the end of yesterday where we could not win and likely to lose.

Only been impressed with Overton bowling. Woakes bowled too short and Anderson or Board arent suited to conditions in Australia. Far too slow. 

But we lack the quality fast bowling in County Championship. Only Wood and Plunkett can bowl at 90 + mph. Or the lack of quality all rounders in aswell. 

Why Crane hasnt play yet? 

We’ve never had the bowlers to flourish in Oz, Chaddy and it’s unlikely we ever will. English conditions mean bowlers need to be able to move the ball around and generally speaking, when you up the pace, you lose control to some extent. Exceptional pace isn’t necessary in England.

I'll be gracious and say well done on winning the Ashes Australia. The English game needs to be completely redesigned, reformed and revamped. Take it out of the gentleman's clubs and public schools, scrap all the committees and jobs for the boys. 

Immediately, I would drop Broad, Ali and Woakes. And I think being captain has destroyed Root's batting.

13 hours ago, den said:

We’ve never had the bowlers to flourish in Oz, Chaddy and it’s unlikely we ever will. English conditions mean bowlers need to be able to move the ball around and generally speaking, when you up the pace, you lose control to some extent. Exceptional pace isn’t necessary in England.

Well its time English counties and groundmans started preparing quality pitches where we are going to develop quality fast bowlers and spinners instead of these seamers friendly pitches..

When bowlers like Darren Stevens are 60 plus wickets its isnt going to produce international quality bowlers

Wish we had a Darren Gough or Simon Jones now..

I want to win test series in Australia, India and Sri Lanka.