BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Englands batting has been awful for a while now, I think it's about time heads started to roll.

Watching Lancs at New Road this afternoon, lost Jennings early but Brown and Livingstone steadied the ship. Worcestershire pulled this right back now and ahead of the game having just got Livingstone out.

Thunder in the distance, we may need the weather to save us at this rate.  

Just been watching these North vs South games on Sky over the past week. (Just highlights and interviews) It was played in West Indies in Feb or March I think. 

Players who performed were Joe Clarke, Nick Gubbins, Mahmood from Lancs, Jennings. Glesson

Coach for the North was Paul Collingwood

Coach for the South was Mark Ramparkash. 

They have rumours in the media that Bayliss might be sack as Test coach with him just focusing on odi and t20. 

I wouldnt be favour of this cos I dont think the problem is the coach. But when 4 day cricket is played. The quality of the pitches played on. Far too much t20 and One day games played. 

If Bayliss were a football manager he would have been given the chop by now. Results have been poor for some time and show no sign of improvement - in fact, England seem to be getting worse rather than better. The batting has been a problem for years and it's too easy to blame the one-day game because all the other Test playing countries play T20 and don't have batting collapses and so many inept displays in Test matches as England. Bayliss says he's "tearing his hair out in frustration" at England's batting but it's obvious that his message isn't getting through to the players or they aren't listening to him.  Time for him to go. 

Many countries have batting collapses Jim. 

England problems are quality of county cricket, pitches and when games are played. 

I wouldnt sack Bayliss as the one day and t20 form is good..

If he was to go I would go for Paul Farbrace with Collingwood as number 2. Also like to see Gough involve part time. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44281297

Interesting article. For what it’s worth I’d sack Bayliss regardless of what happens at Headingley or at least remove him from test duties. Last 10 games LDLLDLLLWL (barely competing in any) plus the wider picture of 3 years of steady decline. Revolving door of players. Too many woeful test performances now.

I’d also play more test matches and bin off the vast majority of nonsense cricket. After this match on Friday we don’t play test cricket again until August 1st. So basically the entire months of June and July we’re only playing white ball cricket. 5 ODIs vs Australia, 3 ODIs vs India 1 t20 vs Australia and 3 t20s vs India. No doubt we’ll trot out the underprepared excuse as find ourselves 100/5 come August. 

Edited by matt83

The ECB has decided that T20 cricket is more important than county championship, and, by extension, Test cricket. So England's poor form at Test level is likely to continue unless the players can learn to adapt their game like other countries do. That's down to mindset and coaching - which is where Bayliss comes in. He must skating on thin ice at the moment - I' wouldn't be surprised to see him depart after the 2nd Test against Pakistan. 

I agree with @jim mk2 some of this comes down to effective coaching.

Look at this Pakistani side for example, their batting line up is not the greatest but what they have done is bought into what Mickey Arthur and his coaching staff have been telling them to do which is namely to curb their natural aggressive tendencies and to be watchful and slowly build their innings.  My dad who is a long suffering fan off the team said to me that he is never seen a Pakistani batting line up play with the discipline that this team did during the lords test.  Ditto the bowlers, who are a talented bunch but have again totally listened to their bowling coach Azhar Mahmood and adjusted the lengths that they bowl, whereas when you look at our batsmen they are still making the same mistakes as they were 2 years ago and our bowling unit cannot fathom bowling a fuller length.

I think it is time for Bayliss to focus on the limited overs sides and for a new coach to be appointed for the test side.  As for the ECB, it is run by a bunch of idiots who are out of touch with reality, the recent farce with the “100 ball bash” a prime example of their incompetence.

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44281297

Interesting article. For what it’s worth I’d sack Bayliss regardless of what happens at Headingley or at least remove him from test duties. Last 10 games LDLLDLLLWL (barely competing in any) plus the wider picture of 3 years of steady decline. Revolving door of players. Too many woeful test performances now.

I’d also play more test matches and bin off the vast majority of nonsense cricket. After this match on Friday we don’t play test cricket again until August 1st. So basically the entire months of June and July we’re only playing white ball cricket. 5 ODIs vs Australia, 3 ODIs vs India 1 t20 vs Australia and 3 t20s vs India. No doubt we’ll trot out the underprepared excuse as find ourselves 100/5 come August. 

I agree I would play more test cricket but the cricketing world is more interested in t20 cricket and ODI

I would like to see Malan and Possible Broad dropped for Livingstone and Curran in. I commented on Buttler being picked was a big kick in the mouth for county cricketers who have playing the season whilst he was at the IPL

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The ECB has decided that T20 cricket is more important than county championship, and, by extension, Test cricket. So England's poor form at Test level is likely to continue unless the players can learn to adapt their game like other countries do. That's down to mindset and coaching - which is where Bayliss comes in. He must skating on thin ice at the moment - I' wouldn't be surprised to see him depart after the 2nd Test against Pakistan. 

I think the entire cricket broads have decide t20 and ODI s more important than Test cricket. I prefer test cricket every day of the week. 

I cant see Bayliss going anywhere with Strauss on leave due to wife ill health(rightly so) and I don't see any decision being taken by Flower or Smith without Strauss involvement and Authorising it. I was disappoint to see Smith appointed as national selector and I would have prefer someone like Lloyd, Hussain or Atherton appointed to that role. 

4 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

I agree with @jim mk2 some of this comes down to effective coaching.

Look at this Pakistani side for example, their batting line up is not the greatest but what they have done is bought into what Mickey Arthur and his coaching staff have been telling them to do which is namely to curb their natural aggressive tendencies and to be watchful and slowly build their innings.  My dad who is a long suffering fan off the team said to me that he is never seen a Pakistani batting line up play with the discipline that this team did during the lords test.  Ditto the bowlers, who are a talented bunch but have again totally listened to their bowling coach Azhar Mahmood and adjusted the lengths that they bowl, whereas when you look at our batsmen they are still making the same mistakes as they were 2 years ago and our bowling unit cannot fathom bowling a fuller length.

I think it is time for Bayliss to focus on the limited overs sides and for a new coach to be appointed for the test side.  As for the ECB, it is run by a bunch of idiots who are out of touch with reality, the recent farce with the “100 ball bash” a prime example of their incompetence.

I think Mickey Arthur is a lot easier cos he has younger players who will listen and learn from him and his staff. Similar to when we had Fletcher and Flower in charge. Fletcher was a great coach and Flower was great player and great coach. 

Who would all 3 of you like to see replace Bayliss as the Test head coach? Farbrace? Flower? Collingwood? I would like to see Farbrace and Collingwood take over the test side. I also think its time will revamp the test side with younger players like Curran, Livingstone, Joe Clarke, Gubbins. 

agree on the 100 balls comp comment Kamy

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No need for that Den. Thought you were better than that. 

Anderson and Broad arent very happy with Vaughan's comments. 

There’s a lot of things that I’m not better than Chaddy. Trying to work out your post was better than I could be better than.  

Apart from which, your reply was for some reason in perfectly understandable English.

anyway...... when you have two fast bowlers with the records of Jimmy and Broad, if they’re fully fit you play them. They’ve done it for a long time. They won’t lose their talent, only their fitness.

• Like 1

The future has to be one short-form game and Test cricket. At present the short form is T20, as it fits tv and spectator schedules better. I think the t20 could be expanded to a 25 or 30 over game (esp if you give a max time per ball). There has to be acceptance that they are 2 different games as such, and only a few can be good at both.