BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

15 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Pakistan got about 40 closer than thought they would. The Rose bowl is a joke. 701 runs in Hampshire’s last home game. 734 today.

3F21ECE2-08CE-40BC-B388-7F3B47CEA805.gif

You have to feel for Lancs tomorrow. I suspect the 2nd string bowlers particularly are going to get Butlered.

5 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Saw the highlights on C5, spectators certainly got their moneys worth. 

People always say that when there's lots of runs. I love to see wickets falling as much if not more than runs made. The balance yesterday was wrong. Too many of one and not enough of the other. Needs to showcase both sets of skills 

• Like 1

With the 50 overs final moving to Trent Bridge next season a victory today is possibly the last chance to watch Lancashire in a Lords final for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I can only see one winner but in a week of sporting shocks what’s one more mini one. 

8 hours ago, matt83 said:

With the 50 overs final moving to Trent Bridge next season a victory today is possibly the last chance to watch Lancashire in a Lords final for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, I can only see one winner but in a week of sporting shocks what’s one more mini one. 

You weren’t wrong. 

Last couple of games have highlighted Lancs weaknesses both in the middle order batting and with Jimmy absent they look very short of penetration in their bowling - Mahmood apart.

quite disappointing.

I think it's fair to say Lancs over achieved in the 50-over competition, given the personnel and set-up of the team.

As inferred by the 'experts' on Sky during both the QF and semi - Lancs often bat to protect the tail (which seems a ludicrous way to play one-day cricket) - meaning that if someone in the top 4 doesn't go big they'll always be up against it. Watching  Jones and Bohannon bat today was excruciating at times (there seems to be a bit of the Ben Breretons about them). Though with four number 11s to come one can understand why they might not be too confident - though that makes the decision to finally try and hit Mason Warney Crane - when he only had a few balls left of his spell pretty bizarre.

The scorecard makes the game look closer than it was. Hants never really had to force the issue.

I wonder if 50-over cricket is going to follow 4 day county cricket into the doldrums. There wasn't much of a crowd there for a semi-final.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 1

That was a lot more exiting than I thought. Assumed would be a 350 Pakistan score then a routine chase on this pitch.

England are a very good side. Pakistan couldn’t do any better really we’ve been off colour today and chased down 340.

Junaid Khan is a shadow of the player that initially trapped up and 2nd spell at Lancs 

2 hours ago, gumboots said:

I know we probably need a third spinner but what has Dawson done to be that

I know some 'proper cricket' fans that still question Rashid and particularly Ali's role in a one day bowling attack (i.e. - they bowl a lot of dross and don't stem the flow of runs as is a spinners main job - though Rashid is more of a strike bowler).

Then there's the thing with Archer. Obviously England need a bowler like that. But if it's a question of 'deserving a place' - what!??! He's hardly played 3 games.

I won't go into the 'much fabled' strong batting line-up (down to no.11). If it came down to it, from what I saw of Pakistan's 'rabbit' in the last game I'd rather have him coming in to chance his arm with 15 needed off 6 balls or similar than a 'wristy' guy with first class stats behind him.

Just now, Husky said:

I know some 'proper cricket' fans that still question Rashid and particularly Ali's role in a one day bowling attack (i.e. - they bowl a lot of dross and don't stem the flow of runs as is a spinners main job - though Rashid is more of a strike bowler).

Then there's the thing with Archer. Obviously England need a bowler like that. But if it's a question of 'deserving a place' - what!??! He's hardly played 3 games.

I won't go into the 'much fabled' strong batting line-up (down to no.11). If it came down to it, from what I saw of Pakistan's 'rabbit' in the last game I'd rather have him coming in to chance his arm with 15 needed off 6 balls or similar than a 'wristy' guy with first class stats behind him.

You pick your best players, end of story, and Archer is certainly worthy of his place based on ability. It reminds me of when Kevin Pieterson first got picked ahead of Graham Thorpe for the test team a few years ago. That one worked out well. 

I agree with the Rashid/Ali comments though.

I don't like Archer coming in like that but I'm questioning Dawson more because he hasn't featured at all in the warm up matches so fr. I heard them explaining this morning why he has to be included but if so why not in this last match when they'd already pretty much decided that Denly wasn't going to be involved in the World Cup ? 

Edited by gumboots

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:46, gumboots said:

I don't like Archer coming in like that but I'm questioning Dawson more because he hasn't featured at all in the warm up matches so fr. I heard them explaining this morning why he has to be included but if so why not in this last match when they'd already pretty much decided that Denly wasn't going to be involved in the World Cup ? 

According to my paper Rashid has a shoulder problem that might not clear up.

Cometh the day.

Although I'm certainly not as confident as all the 'English loving pundits' seem to be, we probably have a team that's at least capable on their day of beating anyone. The format should at least ensure we make the semis - I just hope we get the 'inevitable batting collapse' out in one of the group games and that it doesn't end up costing us.

I still think we are missing a decent spinner - which we've been searching for ever since the end of Swann. Our bits and pieces ones are generally too expensive.

I also don't subscribe to the 'deep batting line-up' myth. I think all the top teams are capable right down to the last couple of players (and probably better than England in those games you may need to clear the ropes to win it). I really wouldn't want to see a Rashid coming out when you need 12 off 5 balls (or in a similar/worse scenario).

Just to use one of the recent warm-up games as an example as it's fresh in the mind . . . West Indies . . . their number eight hit 54 from 24 balls, number nine 24 from 16 balls and a number 10 that smashed 21 from 9 balls. And even going back to the game England won easily against Pakistan, their no.11 scored 28 at a decent strike rate with some old skool hitting. I'm not confident that if it came down to it, our lower order would be able to up the ante. There's still a lot to prove for those guys that are 'living off first class stats against Northants 2nd string attack'.

Can you ever go against Oz? - especially now the cry babies are back. I'd say we are one of the favourites, but it' s all up in the air . . . . .Bring it on!

Ps - if anyone knows of a nice river I can sail down.  . . . . .

Edited by Husky

In my mind I have no doubt England are the best ODI team this year and if we were to play every team in a 5 match series I’m confident no one would beat us. However, England are perennial bottlers and in a tournament format I have no doubt at some point we will choke. Could be the last over in the final or sooner but I have no doubt it will happen.

In the less grand setting of the county championship division 2 it would appear there has been an element of incompetence in Gloucestershire protecting the wicket. Presumably left the Cheltenham college ground staff to make do while the main lot focused on the World Cup warm up game in Bristol.

Gloucestershire might be deducted points if there has been incompetence but that doesn’t do anything for Lancs. Hopefully can chase a few bonus points today.