BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

I see Lancs have started the season well. I know it's only the first 2 days.........but to lose the toss and bowl Notts out and then get a first innings lead (still with wickets to go) is no mean feat - especially since they are most people's relegation candidates this season - mostly due to a fragile batting line-up.

Absolutely. Especially nice to see the debutants doing so well. I was surprised Broad didn't give Anderson more of a send-off when he dismissed him yesterday!

Neil Wagner, take a bow! 11 wickets on debut going some. Weather forecast decent surely we'll knock off 85. All the pundits seem to have Lancs nailed on for relegation but if Middlesex stayed up in 2014 with four wins and seven draws. Last year, Hampshire survive with four wins and six draws. Hopefully see this out and one win down 3 to go.

Across the hills Yarkshire had hants 128-5 who at stumps were 450-8. So not only did hants avoid the follow on but should take it to a draw.

No problem with any county side having an overseas pro if they're the rules. Had some great overseas players down the years. I'd be a bit irritated if he played for England not being English though.

Even as a South African who plays in New Zealand probably still makes him as eligible to play for England as some of the blokes we have.

Edited by matt83

No problem with any county side having an overseas pro if they're the rules. Had some great overseas players down the years. I'd be a bit irritated if he played for England not being English though.

Even as a South African who plays in New Zealand probably still makes him as eligible to play for England as some of the blokes we have.

The rules also say overseas-born players can play for the countries they reside in after a certain length of time.

Your argument re England is inconsistent and nonsensical.

The rules also say overseas-born players can play for the countries they reside in after a certain length of time.

Your argument re England is inconsistent and nonsensical.

Ffs off you go again round in circles we go. Wish I hadn't said owt. I don't think what I said was that controversial to be honest. Re England those "foreigners" who play may be within whatever criteria they set but in no world should Morgan who is Irish born to Irish parents and brought up in Ireland be playing for England. Same for some of the others as well. Was it trott who was celebrating with the South African players at edgbaston 09 when South Africa beat England. Not a problem with that because guess what he's South African.

Trott's been in this country since he was 18 and has lived here ever since. He's been a very good player for England and was always proud to adopt his adopted country. Morgan's lived over here for donkey's years.

You can't criticise players born overseas playing for England and celebrate others playing for Lancashire.

Ted Dexter and Colin Cowdrey were born in India by the way - does that make them Indian ?

He was a very good player for England but should have never been allowed to play. If he's mid 30s he's still been in his country South Africa longer than he's been in England.

Foreigners playing for Lancs is totally different than foreigners playing for England. In the same way the likes of tugay were great for rovers but could, should and probably would never play for England.

Maybe just saying where someone is born doesn't make them belong to that county as such like those two. Strauss perhaps another one. But there are certain examples of players who should not play for England.

I'm sure in jims world there are no nations and everyone can play for any country they chose. One big happy country. Round in circles we go.

I'm sure in jims world there are no nations and everyone can play for any country they chose. One big happy country. Round in circles we go.

Sounds like the EU dictatorship (apart from the happy part). :blink:

Anyway, well done Lancs on a smashing performance!!

He was a very good player for England but should have never been allowed to play. If he's mid 30s he's still been in his country South Africa longer than he's been in England.

Foreigners playing for Lancs is totally different than foreigners playing for England. In the same way the likes of tugay were great for rovers but could, should and probably would never play for England.

Maybe just saying where someone is born doesn't make them belong to that county as such like those two. Strauss perhaps another one. But there are certain examples of players who should not play for England.

Correct, at last. It's called globalisation. You might have heard of it. Cricket's no different.

Trott by the way is of English descent, via the famous Albert Trott. He also holds a British passport.

Just so you know.

Strongly disagree.

Jim are you actually interested in cricket? Or are you just interested in debating who's foreign and who's not with me. Let's make that a rhetorical question. If this is boring everyone half as much as its boring me I apologise.

Personal message me if you just want a back and forth about globalisation, who in your opinion should and should not be eligible to play for England (to save you time I auspect for you anybody as long as they come here on their holidays or just really really want to play for us). So let's save everybody the pain of reading 2 blokes with polar opposite opinions argue not concede any ground to the other.

• Backroom

You can't criticise players born overseas playing for England and celebrate others playing for Lancashire.

Yes he can. Why's it so different to football?

Or are you saying any foreigner playing for Man Utd should be able to play for England?

You've acknowledged that the rules allow Lancashire to sign overseas players. The residency rules allow overseas players to play for England after 7 years. As it happens I would rather counties didn't sign so many overseas players because I like to see local lads in the Lancashire team

But that's not the point. The likes of Stokes, Pietersen, Trott, Prior etc etc etc etc have mostly English roots and have made England their home. Stokes has been here since he was 11, talks like a good Cumbria lad and probably would not want to play for NZ anyway.

The bottom line is birthplace is irrelevant.

Do you seriously expect Ted Dexter to play for Italy, Douglas Jardine, Colin Cowdrey and Bob Woolmer for India, Derek Pringle for Kenya, Phil Edmonds for Zambia, Freddie Brown for Peru, Dermot Reeve for Hong Kong or Geraint Jones for Papua New Guinea ??

Get real.

I played club cricket for 50 years so I know a thing or two about the game. What's your excuse ?

• 2 weeks later...

Lancashire going very well again, Somerset 150 for 7 in reply to Lancs' 493 for 9 dec. A quirky stat from the game - which only came to my attention because the Somerset keeper was boldly predicting that they couldn't be bowled out twice so I checked to see whether he was still batting - is that the wicket keeper on each side is called Davies and they got each other out in the first innings.

• Like 1