It's pretty poor that Vince and Dawson are playing in a ridiculous friendly game whilst their team gets mullered in what is supposed to be the domestic 50-over showpiece final.

Cometh the day.

Although I'm certainly not as confident as all the 'English loving pundits' seem to be, we probably have a team that's at least capable on their day of beating anyone. The format should at least ensure we make the semis - I just hope we get the 'inevitable batting collapse' out in one of the group games and that it doesn't end up costing us.

I still think we are missing a decent spinner - which we've been searching for ever since the end of Swann. Our bits and pieces ones are generally too expensive.

I also don't subscribe to the 'deep batting line-up' myth. I think all the top teams are capable right down to the last couple of players (and probably better than England in those games you may need to clear the ropes to win it). I really wouldn't want to see a Rashid coming out when you need 12 off 5 balls (or in a similar/worse scenario).

Just to use one of the recent warm-up games as an example as it's fresh in the mind . . . West Indies . . . their number eight hit 54 from 24 balls, number nine 24 from 16 balls and a number 10 that smashed 21 from 9 balls. And even going back to the game England won easily against Pakistan, their no.11 scored 28 at a decent strike rate with some old skool hitting. I'm not confident that if it came down to it, our lower order would be able to up the ante. There's still a lot to prove for those guys that are 'living off first class stats against Northants 2nd string attack'.

Can you ever go against Oz? - especially now the cry babies are back. I'd say we are one of the favourites, but it' s all up in the air . . . . .Bring it on!

Ps - if anyone knows of a nice river I can sail down.  . . . . .

Edited by Husky

In my mind I have no doubt England are the best ODI team this year and if we were to play every team in a 5 match series I’m confident no one would beat us. However, England are perennial bottlers and in a tournament format I have no doubt at some point we will choke. Could be the last over in the final or sooner but I have no doubt it will happen.

In the less grand setting of the county championship division 2 it would appear there has been an element of incompetence in Gloucestershire protecting the wicket. Presumably left the Cheltenham college ground staff to make do while the main lot focused on the World Cup warm up game in Bristol.

Gloucestershire might be deducted points if there has been incompetence but that doesn’t do anything for Lancs. Hopefully can chase a few bonus points today.

Another “sold out” game that’s clearly not sold out. Is it a case of the touts buying up all the tickets and making so much profit per ticket doesn’t matter if loads get unsold.

At old Trafford all 6 games have sold out the general allocation. So it will be interesting to see if there’s swathes of empty seats.

56 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Another “sold out” game that’s clearly not sold out. Is it a case of the touts buying up all the tickets and making so much profit per ticket doesn’t matter if loads get unsold.

At old Trafford all 6 games have sold out the general allocation. So it will be interesting to see if there’s swathes of empty seats.

I've found that to be the case at every single T20 Finals day.

I rather think it's something to do with ticket companies being able to scalp their tickets on the resale sites they also own at ridiculous prices.

It's all one massive scam that nobody seems to be looking into (unless there's a public outcry - like there is with the few charity concerts that make the press and unlimitedly something is done about it).

It royally pisses me off. As the emergence of those legal scalper sites that the ticket companies are in cahoots with mean you can't even find a 'good price' as was often possible when people used to resell on eBay (if you were savy and had patience).

Edited by Husky

The whole thing stinks.

Another annoying thing is when the England test side tour abroad with the exception of Australia it’s takes forever for the overseas cricket boards to release venues/dates. In fact New Zealand still haven’t done so for test series in October/November this year. It’s as though they don’t think people have to plan such trips.

Anyway, once dates are decided they’re not announced by the foreign cricket boards themselves, they’re not announced by the ecb, they’re not announced by even the icc. Nope. They’re announced by tour companies like Barmy travel, gullivers travel, howzat travel, etc. So they are told first (no doubt in exchange for a brown envelope) just to give them enough time to block book hotels and flights making it twice the price for independent travellers. Albeit still cheaper than their rip off prices. 

9 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Don't think I've heard the Pakistan anthem before. It sounds like a Disney tune. 

A lot of their fans seem to have flown over for the game/tournament.

Regarding the current cricket review system - what is the point on the 'front view spin vision'?😚

It was ridiculous to drop Plunket for the Pakistan game.

Also Rashid and Ali should never play in the sane team unless the pitch is turning sideways. They seem to take it in turns to be terrible and they are both worse than one day number 11s with the bat.

Root may as well bowl if we need a few extra 'twirlers'.

Such a shame that the world cup is being ruined by the weather and has potential serious consequences for some of the teams who may end up with 2 or 3 no results and miss out on a chance to fight for top 4.  

They should have scheduled a reserve day for all of the fixtures.  The forecast for tomorrow and Thursday is grim so we could end up with 4 consecutive matches rained off.

On 11/06/2019 at 16:07, Kamy100 said:

Such a shame that the world cup is being ruined by the weather and has potential serious consequences for some of the teams who may end up with 2 or 3 no results and miss out on a chance to fight for top 4.  

They should have scheduled a reserve day for all of the fixtures.  The forecast for tomorrow and Thursday is grim so we could end up with 4 consecutive matches rained off.

They can put a man on the moon (allegedly), BUT . . . .

OT is awesome when full, looking forward to the Roses 20/20, Kohli has reached 11,000 ODI runs in the fastest time, 222 innings. Pakistan may rue putting India in to bat.

On 16/06/2019 at 14:05, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

A sea of blue at Old Trafford today..incredible support for India.

Seemingly 80% of the crowd were supporting Pakistan.

Anyway, back to England. It looks like Roy is injured, I also feel that the squad selection could end up costing the WC - I see Root outbowled our main spinner again.

One thing for sure is that England's current team v Sri Lanka isn't a team that's going to win the World Cup.

Best team in it on paper but we’re just not winners. It’s why we won’t win the tournament. The only consolation is it doesn’t matter if finish 1st or 4th.

Not played a decent side yet but lost twice. With Australia, India and New Zealand to come Sri Lanka are right back in this.