BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Just now, Mike E said:

I'm not a fan of cricket, but I don't understand how 241/8 and 241 all out is a tie? Is it because the number of players out is irrelevant with equal runs over 50 overs?

Would've thought the fewer players out would count for something, not that I'm that bothered ofc...

I’m sure there was a time when losing fewer wickets would have been the deciding factor

4 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

England is a nation of cowards, bottle jobs, weak willed morons and flat track bullies when it comes to any sport. Or life. Every player in this squad barring the bowlers should never play 1 day cricket again. How many times must we choke at the merest of pressure?

Sorry to pick on you mate but it ain’t over till the fat lady sings don’t you know?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I'm not a fan of cricket, but I don't understand how 241/8 and 241 all out is a tie? Is it because the number of players out is irrelevant with equal runs over 50 overs?

Would've thought the fewer players out would count for something, not that I'm that bothered ofc...

Doesnt work like that, Mike. End of the day both sides scored the same. England wouldnt have gone for that extra run and been runout if that was the case, it was a free run for them, thats why they did it. Also in cricket pressure is everything, england miles more pressure to reach the same score, so essentially they did better to reach 241. 

You could say its not fair that one team wins the toss and gets the better of the conditions, which is what kiwis had. So that evens it out if you think of it like that. Kiwis had the better of the pitch, the pitch dried up, meaning kiwis could pitch it full, long and short, without really worrying, because the ball was doing a bit, and the outfield had slowed meaning they should have conceded less boundaries, but they didnt, england still scored more boundaries, which shows that maybe england did deserve to win. 

Cricket isnt as simple as you put it, so many variations pal.

• Like 1

Just now, Tormund said:

Ben Stokes.... what a legend!

Every game we were under pressure he stepped up with a great innings, although we lost them, apart from today. His bowling has been average, thankfully morgan didnt use him too much. His batting and fielding were feckin solid.

Edited by AAK

Just now, AAK said:

Every game we were under pressure he stepped up with a great innings, althought we lost them, apart from today. His bowling has been averags, thankfully morgan didnt use him too much. His batting and fielding was fucking solid.

Agreed, he’s got balls of steel. He’s the type you need under pressure because he always delivers when needed. Absolutely made up.

Don't really watch or like cricket, but tuned in for the last two hours as it was the final and it was absolutely unbelievable.

Hands down one of the most intense things I've ever watched. Crazy. Delighted for England, gutted for NZ, will undoubtedly watch more one day cricket in future.

• Like 3

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Don't really watch or like cricket, but tuned in for the last two hours as it was the final and it was absolutely unbelievable.

Hands down one of the most intense things I've ever watched. Crazy. Delighted for England, gutted for NZ, will undoubtedly watch more one day cricket in future.

It's not always like that, I can assure you. Today was the best one-day game I've seen in 60 years playing and watching the sport. 

Well done England. Luck went our way and I felt sorry for NZ (but only a bit). Great for Stokes too after what he's been through

• Like 1

Just now, jim mk2 said:

It's not always like that, I can assure you. Today was the best one-day game I've seen in 60 years playing and watching the sport. 

Well done England. Luck went our way and I felt sorry for NZ (but only a bit). Great for Stokes too after what he's been through

Nothing will top that game though. One day is normally entertaining overall.

Just now, jim mk2 said:

No, but if it isnt, its both sides smacking sixes and fours. Better that football thats for sure. What do you actually enjoy? Spelling mistakes?

Edited by AAK

Just now, Tormund said:

Nothing will top that game though. One day is normally entertaining overall.

He thinks calling people pal is negative, says it all really.

• Like 1

My release of anger and tension may have jinxed New Zealand, but unlike many here I am happy to be wrong when venting my anger at the top 4 batsmen. Butter gave it away but just about redeemed himself. 

I'm glad Stokes was so pivotal after that mental collapse against the West Indies in the T20 cup.

Finally, there needs to be a 30 for 30 documentary about that game. Stuff American sport, this was the most tense I've been since the 2003 rugby union final.

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

9 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

England is a nation of cowards, bottle jobs, weak willed morons and flat track bullies when it comes to any sport. Or life. Every player in this squad barring the bowlers should never play 1 day cricket again. How many times must we choke at the merest of pressure?

9 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

It will happen. stokes and Buttler can't be relied on, as both like to hit it out the ground and the Kiwis have the squeeze on all game. We'd need both to play brilliantly and be aggressive yet sensible and I can't see both doing that. They'll try to hit Boult or Henry and give an easy catch away.

At least it is new Zealand, a country I really like and I have a ticket to see Rammstein at the Ricoh.

?

• Like 1

Whilst I followed the game live the stream I had was awful. Todays its behaving so just enjoying the highlights on Sky with in-depth stuff to follow.

We won on a technicality but ok, the Kiwis would have taken that too.

Stokes innings was superb and Archer kept his nerve on the final bowl. 

Well done England Cricket.

I was just thinking we don't win (Mens) WC Finals the easy way and I've seen all 3! Football, Rugby and now Cricket (and Rovers in the PL :rover:)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Whilst I followed the game live the stream I had was awful. Todays its behaving so just enjoying the highlights on Sky with in-depth stuff to follow.

We won on a technicality but ok, the Kiwis would have taken that too.

Stokes innings was superb and Archer kept his nerve on the final bowl. 

Well done England Cricket.

I was just thinking we don't win (Mens) WC Finals the easy way and I've seen all 3! Football, Rugby and now Cricket (and Rovers in the PL :rover:)

I’m still pinching myself mate. I’ve never seen an ending like it to any sporting contest ever, let alone a World Cup final. Amazing and just imagine how we would be feeling if we were in NZ’s position ?

• Like 2

New Zealand has the rugby world cup later, and the all blacks should win that.  My uncle has played against Jimmy Neesham a couple of times at indoor cricket, and always said he was good. 

Only this moment can come close to the drama or tension of the last half hour

https://youtu.be/0XmLqZy_kTQ

Edited by Norbert Rassragr

New Zealand's cricketers and supporters were models of sportsmanship and class after the final yesterday - their rugby players and rugby supporters, who are entitled and arrogant, should take note. It was a pity we didn't beat the other lot yesterday instead of NZ - they would never have taken defeat in contentious circumstances in such a good spirit. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

If England had lost Root would have got a mauling in the media for his 7 from 30 in 40, Morgan too.

I've watched almost every game of the WC including a lot of the post match stuff.

Root seems to be immune from criticism, yet I've seen loads of complaints about other players - such as Dhoni (even when Dhoni had a strike rate of 130).

Root choked on the big stage no doubt about it. He wasn’t alone either. Due to some unbelievable luck and gritty middle order batting we somehow got home. 

The cricket gods must have really wanted England to win as never seen such fortune. Roy could have easily gone first ball, must have been 5-6 inside edges that missed the stumps, Boult seemingly forgot where he was and stepped on to the rope for 6, the ricochet of stokes’ bat for 4 extra runs.

Still can’t believe the end to that game really. Even the very last over-wide (although I thought was on the line), 2 runs, 6, Roy miss field 2 runs, 2 runs threw to wrong end, 1 run, then 1 run with a tremendous underrated throw from Roy (to pick that up at speed having fumbled it 3 balls earlier then to throw bail high right side of buttler was literally match winning)

We don’t win much as a nation moments like this are to be cherished  

Course we do! 

Only country ever to win a football, rugby union and cricket World Cup.

We are an elite nation in loads of women’s sports.

We are only usually only behind giants like USA and China in the Olympic medal table.

We have loads of top golfers, cyclists, swimmers, rowers and on it goes. 

More F1 world champions than any other nation.

We are a fantastic sporting nation and the envy of many a similar sized nation, I would wager.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7