BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

On 01/08/2019 at 18:22, oldjamfan1 said:

One day you will post something positive about the England cricket team. I’m guessing most people would have taken bowling the Aussies our for around 250 when we lost the toss this morning. Their best batsman carried them along, it happens. 

We also lost our best bowler after just 4 overs. Give England some credit.

Check his Brexit posts Andy, nothing positive there. 

On 01/08/2019 at 18:30, jim mk2 said:

He's right though. We had them 122-8; they've now more than doubled that score. We've let them off the hook and possibly a winning position. 

And there is the king of negativity (and dual identities ?)

• Like 1

Hopefully more of the same today. Still impressed by the doggedness of Burns. He’s not the most pleasant to watch and on another day could have been out 6 times. But all that being said Smith is horrible to watch and he’s arguably the most effective batsman in the world. 

I’ll be so pissed off if bairstow comes in, having watched Burns graft all day, gets frustrated after not scoring a boundary for 5 deliveries skips down the wicket trying to put the bowler back over his head only to see his middle stump cartwheeling out of the ground.

I do think some of the white ball superstars of Roy, Buttler, Bairstow, even Ali need to remember test cricket can exploit a batsman’s technique in a way that doesn’t happen in ODIs. I know they’re in because they play in a certain flashy way but I just wish they’d remember that in this format strike rate is the least important factor. There’s 450 overs in a match not 4. 

Difficult to criticise Burns during such a vital innings, but from what I saw of him yesterday he has a very dodgy technique. As Matt says he had an awful lot of luck yesterday. The ball across him had him playing and missing possibly dozens of times while he got so lucky as well continually edging through the slips. Vital innings - absolutely. Superb application and concentration. Showed Roy what’s needed at test level. However, personally I’m not convinced about him.

one batsman that showed more control and composure than all the others was Ben Stokes. He made it look easy.

still, according to old Darwen Blue, positivity from the fans will cover the flaws ?

Edited by den

Great effort from England yesterday. Burns never really looked comfortable but showed real guts to bat all day. What a change from his previous efforts.  I thought the Aussies bowled well all day but really lack an extra bowler as when they aren’t taking wickets they are short of options. Expect Marsh to come into their side.  Just hope we can force home the advantage and really wear those bowlers down.  A session of Stokes and Bairstow would wrap up the game but it’s on a knife edge still.

Ali has fast become England's Jason Lowe.

To think, our second greatest opener of modern times (Leach) was dropped. Ali is gonna need a minimum of 5 wickets (top and middle order) to redeem himself in this match.

It's almost hard to believe that Australia only had 122 on the board when 8 down. . . . .?

What's going on with the lad from Burnley? He's gone from being 'finished' to supposedly running around within the space of 24 hours. I do hope it's nothing sinister - it seems down right weird.

Edited by Husky

What a Game! Just what I needed after watching 85% of Mowbray's Crapburn Rovers on iFollow. Though I had my head in my hands after the first over - and wasn't too happy after 10 overs either.

Not full, but a decent crowd. It was perfect! Less queuing time for beer etc. Also, whilst I'd never want to bemoan the classic that is The Roses Clash - it's so much better when you get a big crowd that isn't 'the sell-out game' as there is a great mix of people that like a beer and also like (and care) about the cricket too. The Roses Clash can be a bit annoying at times when you have people that are simply 'just there for the beer' and because their mates got tickets. Watch the game FFS!!

Did anyone watch it on Sky? I received a few messages from a friend watching. He said there was lots of swearing/sledging, like 'Hit that for f**king six" - "F**k Off!" etc. I must admit it did seem a bit spicy (great atmosphere too - at least after over 13ish) but you obviously don't get the stump cam from the stands.

Fielding was immense especially for the 2nd half of Notts innings, though I thought the missed stumping from Villas might have cost the game (and it nearly did after that atrocious 19th over). I don't quite know why but out of the Northern group teams that I've regularly seen over the year's I've always had a slightly illogical perhaps?) dislike for Notts, so it was extra special to get one over them. Still top of the league! ?

Only bad thing in the end was that I got on that train that passes through Burnley by mistake. It seemed to take forever. ?

• Like 1

First Lancs game this season I have actually watched (albeit on sky) and at 10 for 3 or whatever we were I thought I had jinxed it but what a brilliant last 15 overs that was. Patel and Hales had everything under control and it looked like it was going to be a procession. So well done Lancs and especially Vilas and our Aussies. 

Speaking of which I cannot wait for today’s Ashes resumption!

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The England game is petering out. Smith seems to be invincible, and we're waiting for the declaration. I hope we can bat out for a draw and not get skittled tomorrow.

We’ll find that Lyon will be everything Moeen hasn’t been. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The England game is petering out. 

It ain't petering out, believe me. England face a grim struggle to save the match, and could well be skittled for 150.

Thursday when we had them 122-8 seems a long time ago. 

17 hours ago, Husky said:

What a Game! Just what I needed after watching 85% of Mowbray's Crapburn Rovers on iFollow. Though I had my head in my hands after the first over - and wasn't too happy after 10 overs either.

Not full, but a decent crowd. It was perfect! Less queuing time for beer etc. Also, whilst I'd never want to bemoan the classic that is The Roses Clash - it's so much better when you get a big crowd that isn't 'the sell-out game' as there is a great mix of people that like a beer and also like (and care) about the cricket too. The Roses Clash can be a bit annoying at times when you have people that are simply 'just there for the beer' and because their mates got tickets. Watch the game FFS!!

Did anyone watch it on Sky? I received a few messages from a friend watching. He said there was lots of swearing/sledging, like 'Hit that for f**king six" - "F**k Off!" etc. I must admit it did seem a bit spicy (great atmosphere too - at least after over 13ish) but you obviously don't get the stump cam from the stands.

Fielding was immense especially for the 2nd half of Notts innings, though I thought the missed stumping from Villas might have cost the game (and it nearly did after that atrocious 19th over). I don't quite know why but out of the Northern group teams that I've regularly seen over the year's I've always had a slightly illogical perhaps?) dislike for Notts, so it was extra special to get one over them. Still top of the league! ?

Only bad thing in the end was that I got on that train that passes through Burnley by mistake. It seemed to take forever. ?

I watched on a stream. There seemed to be something going on with Maxwell and part of the crowd. The commentators said it was odd as that part of the ground was looking quite empty so maybe just a few pissed anti Lancs & Oz Notts fans.

Game was well worth the late night.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

Going to be a good Test day tomorrow and nice to get into the 5th day that should be quite long.

I just wonder if Roy can get established will he then decide to go for it and he certainly has that capability to score.

The worry is losing an early wicket or 2 and what probably will follow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

As long as we don't lose an early wicket or poo ourselves at any hint of Lyon spinning the ball we should have enough to draw. A victory would surely be beyond England. Australia would have to bowl like complete idiots to have any chance of that happening.

You’re having an extremely good day today friend - your cricket and Brexit posts have been well constructed and rational. ?

Edit: Re-reading this post it might seem patronising but it isn’t meant to be - I was quick to criticise your recent negative posts about the England cricket team so I though I should also acknowledge the fact that you have put forward a sensible and balanced view this time.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Only on 4 occasions has a team batting 4th scored more than 398 to win a Test match, England never has although the Aussies did it once at Leeds.

We still need 385 to win in 90 overs so the rate is over 4 per over at the start of play tomorrow.

Miracles can happen and, theoretically, we do have the batsmen in the team to create some history.

I will however be pleased with a draw.

• Like 1