BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

46 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I still maintain that Test Match Special is the outstanding way to "watch" the cricket - the pictures are better. Usually I have the TV on Sky in the living room, but spend my day when in listening to TMS whilsy doing whatever I'm doing and then nip in to watch on TV if there is anything significant.

I loved listening to TMS. There have been some absolutely fantastic one-liners over the years. One of my favourites was during an Ashes series when Steve Waugh got smashed in the box while fielding at short leg. After lengthy treatment, Johnners said "And Waugh has now gone down to third man to lick his wounds" to raucous laughter from the rest of the commentary box. 

• Like 2

Thought Botham was past it.

You could tell he watched zero country or non-England international cricket, so had little knowledge of emerging players and teams. Usually just went on about getting pissed up in the ‘80s.

Totally in contrast to the likes of Nasser and Atherton and even Bumble, who behind the clown persona, is still in touch with the game lower down.

19 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I loved listening to TMS. There have been some absolutely fantastic one-liners over the years. One of my favourites was during an Ashes series when Steve Waugh got smashed in the box while fielding at short leg. After lengthy treatment, Johnners said "And Waugh has now gone down to third man to lick his wounds" to raucous laughter from the rest of the commentary box. 

"The bowler's Holding the batsman's Willey" was a gem from TMS - John Arlott ??

So pleased cricket is returning to the free-to-air Beeb. Hope it becomes permanent. I don't pay to watch any sport on TV and never will. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Thought Botham was past it.

You could tell he watched zero country or non-England international cricket, so had little knowledge of emerging players and teams. Usually just went on about getting pissed up in the ‘80s.

Totally in contrast to the likes of Nasser and Atherton and even Bumble, who behind the clown persona, is still in touch with the game lower down.

Those 3 go and watch county cricket more due to twenty20 cricket or one day cricket. I would all 3 would watch 4 days cricket over the season. 

Botham only was commentator for test cricket. Plus isnt he Durham cricket club chairman 

So? He should still have knowledge of emerging county and international cricketers. That’s part of the job.

He had been Durham chairman for a couple of years and I didn’t spot any improvement.

I like the bloke, but his time had come and gone. I was more annoyed about Gower, as he was an excellent host.

• Like 1

Just watched the edited highlights of the 2013 1st Ashes Test from Trent Bridge. An absolutely brilliant match with lots of twists and turns throughout. Anderson getting 5 wickets in each innings and a young Ashton Agar scoring 98 at number 11 for the Aussies. England eventually and nervously winning by 14 runs. 
I’m loving these replays and can’t wait for the live action to start against the Windies. 

• Like 3

Ive been to a few Lancashire Cricket matches with my nephew over the years,i'm still waiting to catch a ball hit into the crowd,one has not really come near me yet.i'm one of those people that would try and catch the ball while trying not to drop any of the pint i'm drinking but end up  making a pigs ear of it.

• 3 weeks later...

After last nights surprise, but welcome win at Cardiff, I was all set to settle down and watch the Test match at Southampton this morning. But as so often happens here in England, we have a rain delay. Hopefully, we will get some cricket after the early lunch break. Weather forecast doesn’t look too good though. Fingers crossed ? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

After last nights surprise, but welcome win at Cardiff, I was all set to settle down and watch the Test match at Southampton this morning. But as so often happens here in England, we have a rain delay. Hopefully, we will get some cricket after the early lunch break. Weather forecast doesn’t look too good though. Fingers crossed ? 

Aye its likely to be a stop-start afternoon, if we are lucky to even get that. Typical....

7 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

So happy to see Cricket back

Does anyone know the relevance of the Black Gloves?

I'm sure it's not a Black Power tribute so what's today's PC version of the Truth. 

According to the Windies  Assistant Coach, the players wanted to show “a bigger and different” show of support for BLM. Definitely got people talking.

Let’s hope we get a full day’s play today. 

Edited by Riversider28
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

According to the Windies  Assistant Coach, the players wanted to show “a bigger and different” show of support for BLM. Definitely got people talking.

Forecast not too bad, Cloudy with the possibility of rain. The rest of the days are good.

20 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

I hope it's not taken up by the PL where its the dominant factor pre-match already IMHO

8 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

So happy to see Cricket back

Does anyone know the relevance of the Black Gloves?

I'm sure it's not a Black Power tribute so what's today's PC version of the Truth. 

I saw the gloves and immediately thought "black power".... which is different entirely to the BLM movement.

The West Indies need to clarify why they were wearing them. Not a good move IMO

Sibley might wish the season never started with the shot he played. 

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I saw the gloves and immediately thought "black power".... which is different entirely to the BLM movement.

The West Indies need to clarify why they were wearing them. Not a good move IMO

Sibley might wish the season never started with the shot he played. 

Yes, my thoughts too.

I can't fathom leaving the ball in such conditions. Apparently it's tactical early in an innings.