BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Certainly wouldn't be in my greatest England team.

So did Harold Larwood. Not only did he play with some of England's and the games greatest ever players but he also played against the greatest ever the has and will ever see and Larwood thought Botham to be overrated. 

Where did I say this. I said he I don't consider Botham to be one the games greatest ever. I said nothing about modern players having better stats Infact of the players I named only one of them played post Botham.

I don't just claim to have, I have. I've been a member at Taunton since before Botham got into the Somerset team.

But we weren’t talking about Botham the Somerset player - we were talking about Botham the England player. There are probably Lancs members that wonder what all the fuss is about in relation to Jimmy Anderson or before him Mike Atherton. 
You are obviously entitled to your opinion but at some point you should probably concede that you are very much in a minority on this one mate. 

1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

But we weren’t talking about Botham the Somerset player - we were talking about Botham the England player. There are probably Lancs members that wonder what all the fuss is about in relation to Jimmy Anderson or before him Mike Atherton. 
You are obviously entitled to your opinion but at some point you should probably concede that you are very much in a minority on this one mate. 

I wouldn't say I am, he was a fine player but one of the greats absolutely not. It's like with Stuart Broad when he got his 500th wicket the other day, I saw people calling him one of the all time great quick bowlers which is ridiculous. Again Broad like Botham is a fine cricketer who has produced some memorable moments down the years but great he is no way near being one of the all time great quick bowlers, he wouldn't even make the top 20 English seam bowlers of all time let alone the world. And that is the problem that people get so wrapped up in their own eras that they forget all the great players who played the game long before many of us were even born. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Good day for Pakistan that, a shame to see Babar go early but a lovely paced innings from Masood. For the second successive day poor bowling after lunch and that has allowed Pakistan to get up to a good score. Although it was terrible captaincy from Root by bowling himself and Dom he handed them the initiative. Why we are continuously leaving our best spinner out of the team baffles me. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Good day for Pakistan that, a shame to see Babar go early but a lovely paced innings from Masood. For the second successive day poor bowling after lunch and that has allowed Pakistan to get up to a good score. Although it was terrible captaincy from Root by bowling himself and Dom he handed them the initiative. Why we are continuously leaving our best spinner out of the team baffles me. 

Who would that be -  Moeen , Leach, Parkinson ?

Pretty ordinary start to this test. In 7 of the last 9 series England have lost the first match and haven’t beaten Pakistan in the last 5 series.

When the chips are down in my opinion is where roots captaincy is found wanting. After the plan A (presumably decided in the dressing room) fails we seem unable to change things. Had about an hour of letting them score in singles not really posing any threat in return. 

As for Buttler he was perfectly adequate behind the stumps vs the windies but reverted to type in this game. Hard to put a total on runs lost from drops, missed stumping and run outs but dropping masood on 40 didn’t help. He probably needs 200 to break even on his keeping prowess. If only he’d played more at OT and knew how bouncy it was.

Also think the search goes on for a spinner Bess seems to have one delivery in his locker. The variation comes from length and I’m not convinced he has much control over that.

That all said pakistan are a very underrated test side but think we’ll rally. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Pretty ordinary start to this test. In 7 of the last 9 series England have lost the first match and haven’t beaten Pakistan in the last 5 series.

When the chips are down in my opinion is where roots captaincy is found wanting. After the plan A (presumably decided in the dressing room) fails we seem unable to change things. Had about an hour of letting them score in singles not really posing any threat in return. 

As for Buttler he was perfectly adequate behind the stumps vs the windies but reverted to type in this game. Hard to put a total on runs lost from drops, missed stumping and run outs but dropping masood on 40 didn’t help. He probably needs 200 to break even on his keeping prowess. If only he’d played more at OT and knew how bouncy it was.

Also think the search goes on for a spinner Bess seems to have one delivery in his locker. The variation comes from length and I’m not convinced he has much control over that.

That all said pakistan are a very underrated test side but think we’ll rally. 

Got to say matt I think its been an enthralling start to the test series, if you're a neutral!

Pakistan never fail to deliver, they're always competitive and we've seen that in spades over the past couple of days, some great fast bowling and spin, skilful stuff, great to watch. 

Then for England we have Ollie Pope, that lad should be a permanent fixture in the test team for me, he has everything to be a top class batsman.

But I agree fully with your comments on England, sloppy, poor in the field, they've got a lot of work to do to turn this around.

Edited by Gav

Brilliant win after yet another wobble. Even so, I think we can now go on to win the series 3-0 as  it is unlikely Stokes will fail to score as poorly in the remaining games. I would like to see Leach come in for Bess in the next Test to inject more experience. Other than that, keep the same line up. 

I was more than a tad worried at 5 down!

Good to see Buttler get some runs and hope his confidence also comes back when wearing the gloves. Match-winner with Woakes.

Yasir is a gem, I do like a good leg spinner and he is top draw. Rizwan is a damn good keeper for Pakistan.

• Like 1

We went off for a swim when Pope fell. Came back expecting it all to be over and turned on LW to see how many wed lost by only to realise we were still in with a chance. Great stuff. I love test cricket when it's close. It must be the most up and down sport.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

We went off for a swim when Pope fell. Came back expecting it all to be over and turned on LW to see how many wed lost by only to realise we were still in with a chance. Great stuff. I love test cricket when it's close. It must be the most up and down sport.

Superb theatre when its close, I couldn't agree more gumboots.

Even with only 4 runs required I was worried, those Pakistani bowlers have mystic powers at times with a ball, tremendous skill. 

Next test starts Thursday, really looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Still have to sort out the top order. Root is best at number 4, and Stokes was a bit too high at number 4. The current opening combination are too slow in getting runs, and there is no number 3. Perhaps one of Sibley or Burns can drop in there and a more swashbuckling, attacking opener should be tried again a la Warner, Hayden or Sehwag. We can't keep hoping one of Buttler, Pope or Stokes stops a collapse.

Bit of naivety from Pakistan. Young bowlers and an inexperienced captain.

Where was the short stuff at Woakes? Especially as they weren’t finding any reverse swing. Wasim was going mad in the comms box.

P.s. How nostalgic for the 90s does it make you when you hear Wasim and Athers commentating? Rovers champions of England and Lanky as cup kings!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Still have to sort out the top order. Root is best at number 4, and Stokes was a bit too high at number 4. The current opening combination are too slow in getting runs, and there is no number 3. Perhaps one of Sibley or Burns can drop in there and a more swashbuckling, attacking opener should be tried again a la Warner, Hayden or Sehwag. We can't keep hoping one of Buttler, Pope or Stokes stops a collapse.

Opening in a 5 day Test Match  is not just about scoring quick runs, it's about wearing the bowlers down, taking the shine off the ball, and setting up a platform for the middle order.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1