BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Woakes doesn't sound like he has anything in his armoury to bother test batsmen. Have England picked another bits and pieces cricketer?

Kerrigan sounds like he's had a torrid day, perhaps his desperation to succeed has seen his nerves spiral out of control. I really feel for him.

England will do very well to take 20 wickets in this match. We need the top three to turn up and/or Broad to come to the party in style otherwise we'll end the series on a low.

Good to see Lancashire spinner Simon Kerrigan called up for the 5th Test squad. Woakes too, replacing the injured and perennially unlucky Onions. Presumably Tremlett will replace the injured Bresnan in an otherwise unchanged starting XI.

I wouldn't have played Woakes or Kerrigan - on today's viewing neither look ready for Test cricket yet. With the return series only a few months away it's important we end the series on a high note and win this game.

:wstu:

I freely admitted earlier in the thread to knowing little about cricket which is a point you've picked on time and again in an attempt to ridicule my posts. It appears your knowledge is at a similar level and based on little other than hot air and self delusion.

I believe the quotes from Lehman were sarcastic, and a joke on an Aussie radio program.

Ouch, bad day for Kerrigan. Looked like a nervous wreck on the highlights.

They didn't sound sarcastic to me, more an incitement to riot. Appalling comments by a supposed national coach.

• Backroom

They didn't sound sarcastic to me, more an incitement to riot. Appalling comments by a supposed national coach.

Riot? In a sport where a seating area at one of the major venues is called DeathRow due to the age of those who sit there?

Riot? In a sport where a seating area at one of the major venues is called DeathRow due to the age of those who sit there?

Haha yeah riot's a bit over the top. I can see Jim's point though, Aussie fans have been known to be as aggressive in their hounding of opposition players as the team sometimes are. The national coach putting a call out for them to send Broad home crying is quite irresponsible, you never know if doing something like that might push the odd overly drunk individual into the realms of actual physical violence.

Broad should be ok though, his cricket education was as an English teenager playing in the Aussie counties league, which I'd imagine is an environment that only the toughest would survive. Plus, unlike our cricketers of yesteryear, he'll have a thousands-strong Barmy Army behind him. I think its impossible to underestimate the effect those guys have had on removing the fear factor when playing down under, they turn grounds into semi-home games.

Haha, you guys can't possibly be THAT precious?

Haha yeah riot's a bit over the top. I can see Jim's point though, Aussie fans have been known to be as aggressive in their hounding of opposition players as the team sometimes are. The national coach putting a call out for them to send Broad home crying is quite irresponsible, you never know if doing something like that might push the odd overly drunk individual into the realms of actual physical violence.

Broad should be ok though, his cricket education was as an English teenager playing in the Aussie counties league, which I'd imagine is an environment that only the toughest would survive. Plus, unlike our cricketers of yesteryear, he'll have a thousands-strong Barmy Army behind him. I think its impossible to underestimate the effect those guys have had on removing the fear factor when playing down under, they turn grounds into semi-home games.

Probably the dumbest post I have read in a long time in relation to cricket. Aggressive crowds, violence, physical violence.....I don't know if you actually watch Cricket but I can assure you calling for the crowd to boo and jeer and "send him home crying" doesn't generally lead to the outcomes you are expecting in your post.

An environment only the toughest would survive.....holy @#/?, that actually has me laughing quite hard, it's cricket mate, CRICKET.

Au contraire, my dear boy. Sir David on their "feral" crowds, below

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-has-no-culture-gower-hits-out-at-feral-cricket-fans-20130605-2noyq.html.

Also, read John Snow's account of the 1970 tour (you know, as in "read" his book - those weird things in libraries and bookshops).

Probably the dumbest post I have read in a long time in relation to cricket. Aggressive crowds, violence, physical violence.....I don't know if you actually watch Cricket but I can assure you calling for the crowd to boo and jeer and "send him home crying" doesn't generally lead to the outcomes you are expecting in your post.

An environment only the toughest would survive.....holy Kean, that actually has me laughing quite hard, it's cricket mate, CRICKET.

I've never heard it made as a call to arms in the fashion Lehmann made it. Its still people who watch cricket, and people, especially drunk, have the capacity to be violent. I've been to the odd Lancashire v Yorkshire T20s where opposition fans have been going at each other in a manner never seen in football grounds these days.

If the Aussie fans had decided amongst themselves to abuse Broad, all he'd get is abuse. If Lehmann had predicted some abuse, all he'd get as abuse. But Lehmann asking for abuse, encouraging the fans to do so, you don't think there's any chance some could take that as free reign to go a bit mental? Kinda of a "who gives a **** about the stewards, our country's coach asked me to get this ****!"

As for Broad's cricketing education. Well Gary Neville was on 5live commenting on the Ashes during a dinner break at Old Trafford and he said cricket toughened him up more as a youngster far more than football did. Facing professional fast bowlers at the age of 15, who would constantly try to intimidate him. Yeah its cricket, and cricket is a mentally tougher sport than almost all others. And giving how charming and sportsmanlike you Aussies can be, I'd imagine Broad suffered all manner of sustained and over-the-top abuse as an Englishman playing down under.

• Backroom

Au contraire, my dear boy. Sir David on their "feral" crowds, below

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-has-no-culture-gower-hits-out-at-feral-cricket-fans-20130605-2noyq.html.

Also, read John Snow's account of the 1970 tour (you know, as in "read" his book - those weird things in libraries and bookshops).

No need to be a condescending old fart. Before judging the Aussies I suggest you read up on our history of sporting violence. Comparatively, the Aussies are corgis to out rottweilers.

Stuart Broad's dad Chris Broad was a feisty beggar too, often in trouble with authorities. He scored 7 Test hundreds - all of them outside 4 of them in Australia. I guess Stuart Broad will be loving this fuss.

No need to be a condescending old fart. Before judging the Aussies I suggest you read up on our history of sporting violence. Comparatively, the Aussies are corgis to out rottweilers.

i know all about our shameful football violence thanks but we're talking cricket here.

• Backroom

Stuart Broad's dad Chris Broad was a feisty beggar too, often in trouble with authorities. He scored 7 Test hundreds - all of them outside 4 of them in Australia. I guess Stuart Broad will be loving this fuss.

i know all about our shameful football violence thanks but we're talking cricket here.

Yeah because that makes violence different......

• Like 1

Guest Norbert

Australia have finally hit some form. Or was our bowling rubbish?

I think this match will be a draw, but hopefully this will stop any complacency amongst the England squad.

Oh Jimbo, why do you keep opening yourself up to ridicule for your continued hypocrisy?

*cough* Ashes series of 1982-83 *cough* Terry Alderman *cough*. Understandable though for an English cricketing thug to attack him considering he continually decimated your lineup for a decade.

Not quite India or Sri Lanka though is it.......I wonder what Sir David says about those places, probably nothing as he is as gutless off the pitch as he was on it as Captain.

SKH, I understand what you are getting at but it seems a bit rich that Lehmann cops a 2000 pound fine for saying "send him home crying" yet an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire decries an entire nation of being "ferals" with "no culture" and this is acceptable behaviour.

As I said before, it is Cricket, I think we become a bit precious when we cry foul of quite harmless statements, hardly a fatwa on Mr Broad.

Hmm, Alderman in the 1980s. Would that include the 1981, 1985 and 1986-87 series when we took your lot to the cleaners ?

Gower's comments were tongue in cheek but Lehman's were of a different nature and entirely inappropriate for a national coach. Consensus here is he was let off lightly.