BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The umpires will be under the spotlight after this match that's for sure after some really poor decisions. Realistically a lot of players wouldn't have walked in that situation, personally I think he should have but that's just part of the game.

The only time I really remember a player doing the right thing in that situation was Gilchrist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVI8sOtdNk

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

yep, and did you see how many Sri Lanka players went over and shook his hand for the sportsmanship? that's right, none of them.

no wonder Warney hated him so much.....

I love the fact Broad is becoming the pantomime villain for the Aussie's. Got the kid out as well with his bouncers. More please

As a club player I always walked - but I understand it is different for Test players with a livelihood and career to consider. England benefited from the umpire's error today but we got two rough decisions yesterday - so we are still in deficit. Bell played one of his best innings for England and showed what is possible on that pitch with patience and application. I hope he goes on to make a big hundred tomorrow. Game still in the balance IMO.

• Backroom

As a club player I always walked .

'You cannot be a true competitor either - a competitor wants to win every time and then grind his opponent into the dirt.'

Just messing Jim, sportsmanship is a virtue but that was too obvious to resist a cheap one :P

Edited by Tom M

I expect England to push on in the morning, and slowly build up a lead to around 300 by the close, leaving too much for Australia to do anything with in the forth innings, when Swann will have a major role to play in winning the game, esp if Broad is not 100%.

Take out Watsons miserly spell and I reckon I would have not been far off with that.

If England can bat till lunch tomorrow, even at around three an over then I reckon that will do. A collapse, which is entirely possible on this pitch, could offer them a chance, but still very slim. The damage is done now.

Three days of superb cricket (well as far as I can see from the CH5 highlights) with a great mixture of all that is great about cricket. The Ashes once again provides the drama that not many other sports can match.

I grew up to 20 years of Aussies not walking.

Plus as noted earlier thats 2-1 still in Aus favour in bad decisions in this test match.

Still in the balance, if England can get another 100 runs though, its gonna be a tough day and a half batting for the Aussies.

And Gooch and Gower ..just in the interests of balance you understand.

Incidentally Paul, you haven't been on here regularly in years but now Australia are doing well you suddenly appear.

Any comment ?

What an odd comment. Australia got done by South Africa at home, struggled to beat Sri Lanka, were complete rubbish against India, and will probably get beaten in four days in this test, yet you say I'm only posting here because Australia are 'doing well' :lol:

I'm hear to talk cricket with old mates and sparring partners from Ashes series in the past. The cricket knowledge on this forum is very good.

The reason why I don't post here anymore in general is predominantly because of Venky's. I'm still on the brfc email list but quite frankly as long as the club is run by brain-dead morons it takes away any interest in following the club.

Re : Broad. He doesn't have to walk. Clarke will be a bit more circumspect w.r.t. reviews in future, and I think Australia will be lucky to bat for a 5th day. Bell won the test for you last night.

I'm actually happy for Ian that he's managed to carve out a top career for himself after Warne and McGrath stopped tormenting him. Fair play to him.

• Like 3

Fair enough Paul; but on bad Ashes days your fellow "Australians" are conspicuous by their absence. The great thing about England fans is we are always here through the good times and the bad.

Michael Atherton wrote the Times today that "Non-walking was introduced to cricket by the Australians, and they became a victim of its charms yesterday" which is correct of course. I still don't like it however and in my days as a player any "non-walkers" (very few admittedly) were given hell by the fielding side.

Guest Norbert

Warne and McGrath tormented everyone.

Our batting has not been up to scratch, and it has been the middle order and our bowling that has kept us in the game. England can't dominate a game like they used to a couple of years ago.

What an odd comment. Australia got done by South Africa at home, struggled to beat Sri Lanka, were complete rubbish against India, and will probably get beaten in four days in this test, yet you say I'm only posting here because Australia are 'doing well' :lol:

I'm hear to talk cricket with old mates and sparring partners from Ashes series in the past. The cricket knowledge on this forum is very good.

The reason why I don't post here anymore in general is predominantly because of Venky's. I'm still on the brfc email list but quite frankly as long as the club is run by brain-dead morons it takes away any interest in following the club.

Re : Broad. He doesn't have to walk. Clarke will be a bit more circumspect w.r.t. reviews in future, and I think Australia will be lucky to bat for a 5th day. Bell won the test for you last night.

I'm actually happy for Ian that he's managed to carve out a top career for himself after Warne and McGrath stopped tormenting him. Fair play to him.

They did that to pretty much everyone, once in a lifetime bowlers.

If Broad decided not to walk that's his prerogative, the only thing he can be called out on is this 'within the spirit of the game' and that is such an open interpretation. I find it a tad amusing and a bit hypocritical that people in the media are moaning about Australia's favorable decisions but have a completely different stance on Broad. The real story here is that both teams have been burned by decisions in this Test and this is with one of the supposedly best umpires in the world in Dar. I just hope that they tighten it up otherwise it could ruin what has been a thrilling series so far.

Edited by RibbleValleyRover

There was criticism but nothing personal in my comments. For a moderator you are far too sensitive.

Oh Kinell! :lol::lol:

Great tactic! Let me try it out...... Jim.... nothing personal but you are such a snidey and pompous pratt.

So KP gives his wicket away after getting himself in at a crucial point in the test match. For the 18000th time. Utter @#/? bellend.

Maybe ... but I bet the aussies would be delighted if we dropped him.

Some of the Aussie rage against Broad on other forums is quite hilarious. Honestly, if Steve Waugh had done the same thing they'd be praising his hard-nosed attitude and laughing at all the English rage :lol:

One thing about having cricket on in the background is the commentary is so much more enjoyable than football punditry

Because of the slower nature of the play Bumble tends to ramble on which is great and I like listening to Michael Holding

Who can forget ..................... "The batsmans Holding, the bowlers Willey".

and this is even funnier ..... commentating legend...

http://cricketcrowd.com/displayvideo.php?ccvideo=2443

Edited by thenodrog

Pietersen drives me bananas, looks as though he could get out every ball. He was almost out early today with a daft airy shot through the covers.

We only have two "proper" test batsmen - Cook and Trott. Bell is halfway there but gets himself out too often. The rest are one-day players.

When we had Boycott nobody rated his ability did they?..... opposition bowlers excepted of course.

The umpires will be under the spotlight after this match that's for sure after some really poor decisions. Realistically a lot of players wouldn't have walked in that situation, personally I think he should have but that's just part of the game.

The only time I really remember a player doing the right thing in that situation was Gilchrist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVI8sOtdNk

Most of em used to walk. Just like few footballers ever dived, feigned injury or brandished imaginary cards at the ref. Things don't necessarily change for the good do they?

Edited by thenodrog

• Backroom

All out Australia need 311 to win, can't see it but wouldn't write it off

A couple of those wickets seemed really cheaply given away

Edited by Tom M