BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What a way to end the game!

Got to feel sorry for Haddin, that was a very tough call. Lots of credit to the Aussies too, a much closer game than anticipated, sets the series up nicely.

You must be joking - never feel sorry for them .

That was worth it just to watch English fans get all nervous and keany. :lol:

In the long run, its better for us to lose the game as an amazing victory would have papered over the cracks of how keanhouse our top 6 is. You can't win matches expecting your lower order to bail you out every innings.

It's a shame we have a great bowling attack (who all show a lot of heart and application with the bat as well) but they are wasted on our batsman at the moment.

Mind you I've got no idea who else you'd pick.

Had the same feeling too - I love to see Australian faces when they lose.

Let's be honest, you're better off getting tonked by 300 runs than losing after getting so close.

That's crap. With a decision that was so obvious, not even an Australian would defend one of our own doing the same.

As Michael Atherton said after being criticised in Australia...."when in Rome".....

Edited by jim mk2

Great Test, great ending, usual cringeworthy comments regarding the rivalry cropping up from the usual suspects. Seriously tempted to take a punt on Day 5 Old Trafford Tickets now..

I checked the other day and there was still very limited tickets for the Friday and Sunday too

Great game. Not one for my nerves though. My future father-in-law, normally a gloating, cricket loving Yorkshireman, sent me a message telling me how relieved he was. I think they didn't expect such a close game. In saying that, England had the superiority throughout the whole match.

As for my comment in regards to pg's statement, I just think that with such an obvious edge not many Australian's would defend their player in doing so. I'm not including those bogan "fanatics" or whatever they're called. I'd like to think that the majority of Australian's would applaude what Gilchrist did, especially after we always get lectured from the motherland about sportsmanship.

Put it this way, go back to the Adelaide 1993 test match when Australia were within two runs of winning the series. If Tony Crafter had given McDermott not out, do you think he would have walked? Should he have? How do you think Border et al would have felt about that?

Actually it was Darrell Hair (who along with Ross Emerson is the worst umpire I have ever seen) who gave him out and I still don't think McDermott hit it. But if he did and your scenario played out happened that still doesn't exscuse what Broad did in anyway it is unacceptable it is cheating plain and simple.

On another note this test has only enhanced my view that technology has no place in cricket and sport as a whole. DRS has been a shambles through the match and its whole time in cricket, Haddin never hit the ball yet he was given out. Sadly the BCCI are the only organisation with any sense in regards to the technology that is destroying the game of cricket.

I'm expecing (hoping) we bat alot better at Lord's. Cook is due a big score and Trott had a rough decision at Nottingham and will surely make amends. Compton would give top order more solidity too. Finn continues to disappoint and either Onions or Bresnan brought in.

I'm expecing (hoping) we bat alot better at Lord's. Cook is due a big score and Trott had a rough decision at Nottingham and will surely make amends. Compton would give top order more solidity too. Finn continues to disappoint and either Onions or Bresnan brought in.

I think you will see a better overall performance from England. I'm surprised how much an impact Lehmann has had on the Australian team. I really do think that under Arthur we would of lost that earlier.

Nate, just a quick q: what does 'bogan' mean?

Haha, sorry. Clash of cultures here. Yeah, basically a chav. But when it comes to sporting pursuits, they are just biased beyond belief and their favourite pursuit is the "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" chant.

Nate and pg said it all.

Get our batsmen to their bit and it's a totally different game.

It's been a long long time Dave.

Haha, sorry. Clash of cultures here. Yeah, basically a chav. But when it comes to sporting pursuits, they are just biased beyond belief and their favourite pursuit is the "Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi" chant.

Is that what will occupy the Aussie Army section at Adelaide? Positioned in front of the Barmy Army? Poor @#/?s lol

Agreed. I just don't see what Bairstow brings. He has a glaring technical deficiency playing across the line and never seems truly "in". I don't particularly rate Compton - I get a very Ramprakashy-y feeling about him in Test matches. It'd surprise me if he could maintain an average above 40 over a long period. But what it would do is move Root down the order, which is where I prefer him.

I'd be more inclined to keep Finn though. He's a proven wicket taker. He'll have bad matches, but he'll win others.

Finn at the moment is either over-pitching or bowling too short. He has loads of potential but he has not learnt yet how to keep batsmen quiet when the pitch is not offering much. Onions has been bowling well since his return from injury and I'd like to see him get another chance ahead of Bresnan, who although a better batsman does not move the ball very much.

Compton plays slowly and correctly and won't give his wicket away, which is why I like him. In terms of talent, Bopara has it all but finds different daft ways of getting out. Anyway I think he's injured at present.

Edited by jim mk2

Haddin never hit the ball yet he was given out. Sadly the BCCI are the only organisation with any sense in regards to the technology that is destroying the game of cricket.

He hit it, the fact he turned his head to the wicket keeper as soon as it passed the bat gave it away, it's a natural reaction when you nick a ball to the keeper.

Guest Norbert

That was close. Terrible umpiring/3rd umpiring throughout and Finn being poo almost ruined it for England. Personally I'd drop Finn and Bairstow, bring either Bresnan or Onions and Morgan in. Another option would be to move Root down the order and bring in Compton. Bopara is just another Ramprakash-great at county level but how many chances has he had with England? He is simply not good enough.

Shut an Aussie bar man up on London who was whining about broad and the last wicket.. I said look in wisden . He muttered Sheilalalaey under his breath as I asked him what thought of new boys non stumping and Clarke not walking in Adelaide .... Oh man it were a good moment ha..... Tried editing but the bulmers n Stella win

Edited by ABBEY

Guest Norbert

Funny how the Aussies call us whingers. They're the worst at it. Constantly whining in that accent about pitches favouring home teams, dodgy decisions, substitute fielders getting them out..................And every Olympics when we get more medals, they try to come up with ever more convoluted and abstract formulae to put them ahead of us in the table.

Personally I'd drop Finn and Bairstow, bring either Bresnan or Onions and Morgan in. Another option would be to move Root down the order and bring in Compton. Bopara is just another Ramprakash-great at county level but how many chances has he had with England? He is simply not good enough.

Onions should be in the team he is a far better bowler than Broad, Finn and Bresnan but his face doesn't fit with the selectors. I would also drop Bairstow but he has been poorly treated by England he had to follow the ODI squad around as a glorified water carrier when he should have been told to go and make some runs for Yorkshire in first class cricket ahead this series. Morgan's injured and he is also no way near good enough for test match cricket anyway, why he has a central contract is beyond me. If England want Root to open then they should bring in James Taylor to bat at 6 he is another lad who has been treated shambolically by the selectors since the South Africa series last year. Me personally though I would drop Root to 6 and have Varun Chopra open with Cook, I don't know why he never gets mentioned for selection he is easily the best opener in county championship cricket.

As for Compton as a Somerset member I don't want him in the test team as he is by far our best batsman (and I would rather we stayed in Div 1 than England won the Ashes) but if they do drop Bairstow which I don't believe they will yet Compton replace him as the got him to play for Worcs against Aus and I have heard that he will also be playing for Sussex against them as well, but the what the selectors don't seem to understand is that Compton is not an opener and he never has been (until he played for England) he made all his runs for Somerset batting at 3 and 4.

Onions should be in the team he is a far better bowler than Broad, Finn and Bresnan but his face doesn't fit with the selectors. 4.

Onions has had a bad injury from which he has only just recovered. Good bowler.