BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The tunnel at Farnworth is being rebuilt to accommodate electrification of the line to Preston. The line between Salford and Bolton is therefore shut at weekends. It should have been done by now but it's been extended to Dec/Jan.

Separately direct trains from Manchester to Burnley have now been introduced via Todmorden so that provides an alternative route.

Looking like a possible 2-1 tonight.

Shane Warne says test matches should move to 4 days of 90 overs, so you avoid the current predicament of a full day 5 hardly ever being played now.

Also says 20:20 should be domestic cricket only, with potential of a trophy for the winners of the IPL, Big Bash, 20:20 etc...

I personally think that 40 over games should be split up into 2x 20 in order to balance up the conditions (i.e 20 overs batting, then 20 bowling and vice versa for the opposition), it would also help where a game is rain affected too.

Any thoughts?

Went for the second half of the game tonight taking advantage of the £25 after 6.30 offer. An excellent evening out, making up for having to miss the cycling yesterday. But I've just realised that I can catch the final stage of the Tour of Britain after the Fulham game on Sunday.

Brilliant day today and good performance by England, although I felt the Aussies looked well off the pace in the field.

You realise when you go to games like today exactly what you're missing as a Rovers fan. Brilliant atmosphere, players that care about the shirt and give %110, fans that actually give a toss, educated and objective, it was just an all round good day.

We want our walrus back, Hales you're a hero!

Looking like a possible 2-1 tonight.

Shane Warne says test matches should move to 4 days of 90 overs, so you avoid the current predicament of a full day 5 hardly ever being played now.

Also says 20:20 should be domestic cricket only, with potential of a trophy for the winners of the IPL, Big Bash, 20:20 etc...

I personally think that 40 over games should be split up into 2x 20 in order to balance up the conditions (i.e 20 overs batting, then 20 bowling and vice versa for the opposition), it would also help where a game is rain affected too.

Any thoughts?

The fifth day is still useful if the match is affected by rain. You could also end up with dead wickets being prepared by the home side in the event that they take an early lead in the series. With only four days of play it would make it easier to eke out a draw.

On the 20/20 issue I think it is still an earner for the Tccb and ultimately its future will be governed by market forces.

A game of four quarters instead of two halves, Its the way first class cricket has been played since the year dot. It would be interesting to see how it works but on the face of it seems a fairer way of doing things.

Good chase that by England, Aussies look tired, poor again in the field.

3rd highest run chase by an England team ever.

Sets up Sunday nicely, sadly can't make it so TV it is.

Edited by GAV

Proper cricket ooop North and a proper atmosphere too. The crowds are MUCH better up here.

All the Southern crowds are practically comatose (with the possible exception of Chelmsford, Essex - where they can get a bit rowdy from time to time).

I think the difference is that in the north cricket is traditionally a working mans game, whereas in the south I don't think its the same. Crowds in the north and even Midlands are predominantly young males, in the south it's more middle to elderly gentleman.

I know its a generalisation, but I would be interested to see the demographics of the crowds and see if my thoughts are backed by the data.

Over the years I've watched a decent amount of cricket at all the main "ashes venues" and I would say in particular edgbaston, old Trafford and headingley are the most feisty ie north of Watford. Lords tends to be almost exclusively full of what Roy Keane would describe as the prawn sandwich brigade.

And for all its a bit of fun the fact all loses have come in the south and doing well in the north this time round what bugs me is the lockdown lords and the oval have on cricket. Fair dos lords is its home but it's almost as though oval also is guaranteed any game they want and the rest fight over the scraps.

Over the years I've watched a decent amount of cricket at all the main "ashes venues" and I would say in particular edgbaston, old Trafford and headingley are the most feisty ie north of Watford. Lords tends to be almost exclusively full of what Roy Keane would describe as the prawn sandwich brigade.

And for all its a bit of fun the fact all loses have come in the south and doing well in the north this time round what bugs me is the lockdown lords and the oval have on cricket. Fair dos lords is its home but it's almost as though oval also is guaranteed any game they want and the rest fight over the scraps.

Each venue bids for test matches, and gets to keep 15% of revenue from gate receipts, so those attracting corporate clients can afford to bid higher.

I don't agree with this though, as it's taking cricket further away in pricing from your average working man.

The ECB should try and expand the game by making sure that the games are equally spread geographically.

Roy was clearly not out LBW (the second one) the ball was moving away like a boomerang way down left - why the hell did Hales not tell him.

Hales having a bad spell with the bat too. 13 for 2

That was shocking!

Turned over to football after we were essentially 27-5 and that was shocking too.

Feel a bit for the sell-out crowd as they are going to see one-sided game - but that's sport.

• 4 weeks later...

Really pleased that Rashid got 5 wickets yesterday.

Thought the English media reports on Rashid were very much over reactioned on his bowling from the 1st innings

Thought Cook's innings were great and the captain leading from the front.

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

I only caught up with the last days play with an hour or so to go. It was a bit of a shock to see the scorecard and that England were in with a chance. Night falls quickly in the ME not helped by Pakistan having a 3 minute conference between overs and taking ages to bowl an over - mind you we would have done the same. Looking forward to the next game.

• 2 weeks later...