BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jordan Rhodes

Tom

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work Gordon. Rhodes clearly isn't good enough for Scotland or any of the current Premier League clubs.

Instead he must surely resign himself to just scoring 25+ goals a season for Blackburn Rovers for the rest of his career. The good news is he'll get paid well and we'll love him to bits.

If I was Jordan, I'd have read this thread, packed my bags and gone to Wigan. The criticism he gets on here is outrageous. I honestly think a big chunk of Rovers would swap him to have Paul '7 goals a season, but gives 400%' Dickov.

Sure we are supposed to critique players and assess strengths and weaknesses but we knew what we were getting with Rhodes.

He's not 7ft, he's not built like Kuqi, he's not as quick as Bellamy was but, he scores goals. Fans here are expecting him to play a role that only Drogba, Rooney and RVP can do, that is lead the line, create, score goals, and single handedly change games. If he did that he'd have been gone for 15m 3 months ago and be playing for a top 10 PL side

That's strachan's problem not Jordan's. if you play to his strengths he'll score. The issue with Scotland the other night was that Jordán was isolated on the halfway liñe and he's no use there. It was like watching rovers at their worst last season. I, like many, don't get the Rhodes bashing on here. Goals are exciting and Jordan scores goals. It's as simple as that

Rhodes bashing? I don't think so. Perfectly reasonable to discuss other areas of his game. Interesting that an International manager is struggling to accommodate him and is unwilling to play 9 against 10 outside the box.

I like the lad a lot, he's one of our best and helped keep us up. I also think he is improving other areas of his play and we have seen signs of that already. Big jump to PL / International football however and in the games in which he fails to score he needs to contribute much more to the all round team effort.

I don't read it as bashing either. I think the main point that was being made was that to step up to the premiership he needs to play slightly differently and the question is, can he do that?

We have clearly, and wisely, altered the way we play to ensure he gets the service he needs. He is getting more support from the wide players and clever through balls from a far more creative midfield. He's not having to try to deal with balls being smashed at him from all angles and having to try to hold the ball up when totally isolated. Would a prem club change the way they play to accommodate him or would they expect him to play differently?

I'm delighted he's still here and seems to be happy now he's back in the goals. It's nice that we don't have to worry about it now............ Until January.

I don't read it as bashing either. I/quote]

Thanks Ricky, it isn't bashing - it's having a viewpoint about the games where he finds himself isolated. To some, because his goal scoring is so far quite legendary, to even suggest he has weaknesses is simply not wanted.

And so, many were perfectly prepared to see the back of him in the transfer window to replace him with others who wouldn't be able to score, just because they might work a bit harder for the team. It may not be bashing but I couldn't think of any other word at 5 in the morning. Belittling might be better. Making out that he's not as important to the team as some others we could have brought in might have been. I understand perfectly that he could do more outside the box and I think he's working on that as far as possible but whilst he scores I'll be delighted, and since we know he can score, given the correct service it's up to Strachan to find that service and team structure as Bowyer seems to be doing.

Agree with Gumboots.

To put it another way if Rhodes went from 30 goals to 15 goals but created another 10 for his teammates through that extra "workrate", because his teammates aren't as good as him would that be better?

Would it make him a better PL striker? In which case we'd probably lose him anyway.

And so, many were perfectly prepared to see the back of him in the transfer window to replace him with others who wouldn't be able to score, just because they might work a bit harder for the team. .

You usually post well gumboots, but that's just tripe.

"replace him with others who wouldn't be able to score just because they might work a bit harder for the team". Good grief. Doesn't that just prove my point completely?

I don't read it as bashing either. I think the main point that was being made was that to step up to the premiership he needs to play slightly differently and the question is, can he do that?

We have clearly, and wisely, altered the way we play to ensure he gets the service he needs. He is getting more support from the wide players and clever through balls from a far more creative midfield. He's not having to try to deal with balls being smashed at him from all angles and having to try to hold the ball up when totally isolated. Would a prem club change the way they play to accommodate him or would they expect him to play differently?

I'm delighted he's still here and seems to be happy now he's back in the goals. It's nice that we don't have to worry about it now............ Until January.

surely he would get this from about 80% of the prem teams as a matter of course, so he would score loads of goals.

no need to change the team to accomodate him.

If I was Jordan, I'd have read this thread, packed my bags and gone to Wigan. The criticism he gets on here is outrageous. I honestly think a big chunk of Rovers would swap him to have Paul '7 goals a season, but gives 400%' Dickov.

Sure we are supposed to critique players and assess strengths and weaknesses but we knew what we were getting with Rhodes.

He's not 7ft, he's not built like Kuqi, he's not as quick as Bellamy was but, he scores goals. Fans here are expecting him to play a role that only Drogba, Rooney and RVP can do, that is lead the line, create, score goals, and single handedly change games. If he did that he'd have been gone for 15m 3 months ago and be playing for a top 10 PL side

True. However before you diss Dickov so readily you need to take into account that Paul Dickov was a proven Premier League player for many years shabani. Not only that but once Hughes had sussed what most new that Stead was a 2nd rate striker and that the diminutive Dickov our only realistic option he was asked to lead the line on his own. A small man playing up front against two giants every week is hardly a platform for excelling ...... or at least not to the 'ball watchers' amongst our number.

btw IF Wigan were interested in him they are still only a team playing in the Championship aren't they? JR is at the top of his game now imo but for his own good he really needs to do more to improve on that......he will know where his weakbnesses are and only he can do anything to rectify them.

That's strachan's problem not Jordan's. if you play to his strengths he'll score. The issue with Scotland the other night was that Jordán was isolated on the halfway liñe and he's no use there. It was like watching rovers at their worst last season. I, like many, don't get the Rhodes bashing on here. Goals are exciting and Jordan scores goals. It's as simple as that

Scotland v the current Belgians is only ever going to see them pushed back in their own half and necessitate leaving a lone striker adfrift on his own. Strachan is no fool, he recognises JR's strengths and weaknesses and is quite right to prefer others in front of him who will do a better job in those circumstances. If Scotland had chosen to throw men forward in support of JR the Belgians would like as not have cut them to ribbons and won by a cricket score. Personally I think 0-2 was a good result and a better one than I expected.

Scotland v the current Belgians is only ever going to see them pushed back in their own half and necessitat leaving a lone striker adfrift on his own. Strachan is no fool, he recognises JR's strengths and weaknesses and is quite right to prefer others in front of him who will do a better job in those circumstances.

gb's post was is response to the quoted newspaper headline where his the fact he was referring to the Belgium game wasn't mentioned. Play fair.

If there was a Prem club which would suit him it would be Arsenal. They create loads of JR type chances. However thats pie in the sky for JR and his agent.

gb's post was is response to the quoted newspaper headline where his the fact he was referring to the Belgium game wasn't mentioned. Play fair.

fair play stuart. ^_^

btw just read this and Strachan confirms the opinions of the less blinkered on here. Lest we forget Strachan has amanged at the top for many years.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/gordon-strachan-struggles-to-find-rhodes-role-1-3081905

Dont get me wrong Bowyer has set up the team to supply JR fantastically well and the last two matches have seen that bear fruit but just supposing we get promoted to the Prem. We will occupy a position in the bottom thirdand the first person out the door needs to be JR.

surely he would get this from about 80% of the prem teams as a matter of course, so he would score loads of goals.

no need to change the team to accomodate him.

He reminds me of a posh Derbyshire. Fox in the box but weak as a kitten and a complete push over for centre halves out of it.

So strachan slates rovers for finishing "4th from bottom" and that's why he doesn't play Rhodes. So why is grant Hanley always on the team sheet?

I couldn't give a toss about Scotland and Strachan problems with not playing Rhodes.

If Rhodes had be playing from the start on Friday he might a scored with a half chance and done more that Leigh Griffiths. still cant believe that Rhodes didn't play from start and he picked a league 1 striker instead. just shows how clueless he is. I can understand with him not playing if Fletcher is playing but he should be second choice behind him.

better for us if he not playing. less likely to pick up a injury.

Bowyer has set the rovers team to play to Rhodes strengths and get the ball out of him and create chances for him.

I have never understand the amount of stick he gets on this forum for not being the striker some want him to be BUT bet these fans celebrate when he scores tho???

Rhodes is a goal machine simple as. he scores goals for fun. his work rate is very good and always gives 100% and his link up play is better in the last couple of games and makes very clever runs.

strikers are there to score the goals and Rhodes clearly does this. don't see what the problem is

If Rhodes had be playing on Friday he might a scored with a half chance. still cant believe that Rhodes didn't play and he picked a league 1 striker instead. just shows how clueless he is. I can understand with him not playing if Fletcher is playing but he should be second choice behind him.

He did play. Came on as a sub on 68.

Ironically, he nearly did score with a half chance.

He did play. Came on as a sub on 68.

Ironically, he nearly did score with a half chance.

I know he came on from bench but if he had start then he would have better chance of scoring for them. that's was my point Stuart. should have said that in my post. sorry for that

I know he came on from bench but if he had start then he would have better chance of scoring for them. that's was my point Stuart. should have said that in my post. sorry for that

That's not always the case. Sometimes a guy without much pace can thrive coming on late in the game when the opponents who started the game have slowed down a bit.

Precisely. He doesn't only do it against Belgium. I didn't read the article - it was a moment of insomnia at 5 am when I was flicking round and just saw the headline. I'm not saying he should be an automatic starter for Scotland in every match but you have to be able to get him on the pitch in situations where he stands a chance sometimes. finding systems that work is vital for a team like Scotland but not playing your best chance of a goal when fletcher is not fit just because you cant sort out how to get the ball to him in areas where he can do damage, is not an option if you're being well paid to get the team playing to its strengths

Archived