BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League 2013/2014 (and Europa league!)

I think that Barca under Pep were fantastic to watch ,I don't think Bayern are quite as good to watch as they don't have a player that can produce a moment of genius out of nothing like Messi or Iniesta can. And for me Guardiola's Barca were the best team I have ever seen the only teams that come close are the Ajax team of the earlier 70's and Holland in 74. Also although I was alive at the time I was only a couple of years old so sadly I can't remember The Mighty Magyars very well but my father says that they are the greatest team ever. I can remember Puskas though later in his career when he was at Real Madrid, a bit overweight and past his best he was still better than anyone else on the pitch, even Di Stefano, and that 1960 final Hamden was a Master Class from them both.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Madrid have been superb in this first half. Funny to see Bayern get torn apart after all the tippy tappy possession stuff they play.

Perfect counter attacking lineup from Real as well. Benzema gets the ball, Ronaldo, Bale and Di Maria charging at the Bayern defence.

The main thing about the tippy tappy style of Spanish football that Guardiola employs is that you can't afford to concede the first goal and you certainly can't afford to concede the first three. It's all based on not conceding and not having to chase the game. Once you have to chase the game it's another story.

31% possession and a 4-0 win. I'd say that's a victory for no-nonsense, down-to-business football.

The final is going to be as tight as a gnat's chuff, though. Whoever Real get, it's going to be an ultra-defensive team, and if it's Atletico then the potential humiliation of losing might prevent Real doing all that much attacking of their own. You can't play on the break against a 10-man defence. Penalties written all over it.

I'd say Madrid would be favourites but Atletico did beat them at the Bernabeu earlier on in the season.

Madrid wouldn't be as effective on the counter-attack against either of these two. I think either game would be incredibly tight.

Atletico are as good at preserving a lead as anyone in Europe. Could see the scoreline staying like this tbh.

• Backroom

Better team won, Chelsea looked rocked after the first goal

Utterly hilarious seeing how bitter Liverpool fans on my twitter timeline are

Mourinho got what he deserved for such negative tactics, in the first leg and for starting Azpilicueta in midfield tonight instead of Schurrle. The other good thing with tonight's results is that there is one likeable to want to win the final.

That's two seasons now for the Translator without a trophy and 4 European Cup semi final defeats in a row, perhaps he is not as special as he thinks he is.

Guest Norbert

All the Chelsea fans were on the radio showing how classy they are. One spent 5 minutes whining how Rodgers has had a lot of praise, and then they lost to Chewsea. He spent most of his time giving it the big I am about his team, as did a couple of others who rung up radio 5.

That's two seasons now for the Translator without a trophy and 4 European Cup semi final defeats in a row, perhaps he is not as special as he thinks he is.

I agree, this defeat completely overshadows the whole 'winning the league in four different countries' thing.

• 2 weeks later...

After a turgid 0-0 draw, Seville beat Benfica on penalties last night to win the Europa League final played in Turin.

Portuguese teams bore the pants off me, and Benfica were no exception. Seville were much the same too.

Apparently Benfica have now been to 8 European finals and lost all of them.

Archived