BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

It was a poor performance yesterday ,

Bowyer got the substitutions wrong IMO .

Playing a team near the bottom and rather than introduce some creativity or another striker for the one he replaces he brings Williamson on , which IMO is the most negative substitution possible and from that moment on the game just fizzled out .

Bowyer showed his inexperience in the presser by mentioning any boos which tbh was by a minority and lasted about a second . 99% of managers especially Kean would of made out they never heard them , they certainly wouldn't of mentioned them.

There is some good points made on here I.e 8 point from 12 , number of clean sheets ect , however rather than the press concentrating on those aspects , that one slip of the tongue has the press highlighting the boos .

I was disappointed with the match as a whole yesterday , we still lack any real game plan and struggled when Taylor went off . His replacement King was ominous as he appears to be more times than he is effective .

We signed a lot of players over the summer and with the window due to open , I just can't see us bringing in very much .

Bowyer has signed a lot of players on a shoe string budget , many are young and will improve with age , but the truth is sadly that we are what we are at present , a mid table team with very little hope of seeing top flight football again under this current administration or these new FFP rules .

The Championship is a lottery with no one team at present cantering off with promotion .

Last season despite all the manager changes and circus around ewood park , we didn't finish that many points off the play offs , I feel this season will be a similar story , where 4 teams from a big pool of equal ability will find themselves in a play off position. it will chop and change from week to week with a number of teams having a spell in those positions but come next August the winner of that ticket will be favorites to be relegated as the gap is getting much bigger from Championship to Premiership .

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure they do want promotion but realistically it won't happen with the current manager or squad.

What I have been seeing recently is like a breath of fresh air compared to anything seen in the past 3 years. Players who are not just going through the motions. Tactically naive Bowyer may be or else yesterday he'd have stuck with the interchangeable midfield that has served us so well... but don't forget it was him who invented it.

• Backroom

Bowyer showed his inexperience in the presser by mentioning any boos which tbh was by a minority and lasted about a second . 99% of managers especially Kean would of made out they never heard them , they certainly wouldn't of mentioned them.

The less Bowyer is like Kean the better :)

• Moderation Lead

IMO people were booing because Bowyer seemed to accept a point in an easy game with 30 minutes left. If we had gone for it and pressed them back near the end then there would be no boo's. We don't all think that everything that Bowyer does is perfect.

People need to stop being so precious. Bowyer was asked about the booing, he didn't bring it up himself.

People painting him as some sort of villain that has slandered the fans is just wrong. I don't think the guy's perfect at all, but compared to any of the dross since Sam left he's a breath of fresh air!!!!

I don't think he really said that much, it's that bloody Radio Rovers reporter fishing, otherwise I doubt it would have been mentioned.

Personally I don't think 0-0 draws should result in boos, that's not to say we were good yesterday, as we really weren't!!

Lets not take anything away from Sheff Wed. They did a good job on us.

True, I had a horrible feeling they were going to snatch all three points late on!!

That flies in the face of the school of thought that Bowyer's changes were justified to avoid that very thing.

Saying that, I agree with you!

Speaking to a friend of mine today who mentioned our last promotion season and teams that came to Ewood to get a point. He then said Souness addressed this by getting Berkovic in who could unlock a defence, I'd say he won us quite a few points in situations similar to yesterday.

Oh for a similar signing in the next transfer window.

An utter disgrace that people were booing after the game yesterday. I was as disappointed as anyone that we didn't get maximum points in a game against a side in the bottom 3, but to start booing at this stage in the season is going to achieve absolutely nothing positive.

This time last year we were on the cusp of the relegation zone and had our fourth manager of the season. Fast forward 12 months we are within reach of the play-offs, on a good run of form and I would say as well placed as any to launch an assault on the top 6 in the second half of the season.

Some people would do well to remember what we have been through the last 3 years compared to where we are now. We have a young manager doing a decent job with a young squad whilst having to contend with big challenges off the pitch (Venkys, shifting the dross, reducing the wage bill). Rebuilding Rovers into a club looking upwards rather than downwards is a lengthy process and a challenge for any manager, never mind one in his first season.

The people moaning about us not being adventurous enough or attacking enough are presumably the same people who celebrated Allardyce's sacking and heralded the appointment of Kean and his fantastic football. People who were bored watching us in the top half of the Premier League with Ewood Park being a fortress. If we'd have gone gung-ho in the second half yesterday there is every chance we would have lost that game.

We now need to concentrate on trying to beat a Birmingham side on a remarkable run of form. If we succeed we will have picked up 10 points from the four Xmas games which I would consider a very good return. We are in far better shape now than we have been for the last 3 years and I have seen enough so far this season to be confident that this team can get better.

Well said stanhill. I don't honestly know where some get their daft ideas delusions of grandeur from.

far too presumptious and irelevant

we should have beaten a bottom 3 team if we have any pretentions of the play offs

I'm sure you know football doesn't work like that Yoda. In fact it never has. Using similar logic and being mid table you are effectively saying that everybody above should beat us. Everton should have beaten Sunderland but they didn't. Should they bin off Martinez?

All we have to do is get to 70 or so points, where they come from is irrelevant.

Absolutely agree that fans booing yesterday was ridiculous, but it was only a small minority. GB made it an issue by mentioning it in his press conference. This has simply added to the bad press all Rovers fans get in the media and he should not have brought the subject up. Managers should only say good things about supporters if they want them on side, even though they think otherwise. It's just common sense not to antagonise any of your customers.

Could have been worse.... he could have said 'that lot behind the goals have champagne tastes on beer money'. ^_^

As it is he displayed honesty.... after the lies and damned lies of the past 3 years that is to be welcomed and certainly not to be discouraged at Ewood Park.

It was after the whistle so it didn't affect the team during the game and it was because we didn't have a real go at winning a game against 22nd in the table at home.

There was no need to mention it by Bowyer and I think he has to cover up his own tactical errors.

By your skewed logic Bowyer only mentioned it after the final whistle so it's quite alright isn't it.

How very interesting that you cite Kean as an example..... He was the one who said that only 1% of the supporters protested. :blink:

I'm sure you know football doesn't work like that Yoda. In fact it never has. Using similar logic and being mid table you are effectively saying that everybody above should beat us. Everton should have beaten Sunderland but they didn't. Should they bin off Martinez?

All we have to do is get to 70 or so points, where they come from is irrelevant.

Come on Gordon, the link to Allardice was completly presumptious (he has gone, history), my point about SW and hoping for a play off spot is very valid and links nicely to your 70 point target, points on the board, no substitute for that so the sooner you get them the better. You have a better chance against teams below you than above you, don't you agree.

No point taking the field of play if don't want to win.

Speaking to a friend of mine today who mentioned our last promotion season and teams that came to Ewood to get a point. He then said Souness addressed this by getting Berkovic in who could unlock a defence, I'd say he won us quite a few points in situations similar to yesterday.

Oh for a similar signing in the next transfer window.

We already have that player on the books handled correctly and coached to eradicate the flaws from his game - Rochina.

We already have that player on the books handled correctly and coached to eradicate the flaws from his game - Rochina.

Some might argue that Rochina has Berkovic's ability, I would reckon that few would argue that he has Berkovic's nouse

Some might argue that Rochina has Berkovic's ability, I would reckon that few would argue that he has Berkovic's nouse

Great player was Berkovic. I remember being upset when he didn't sign and we got Tugay! :)

Pfft. Rochina would make a good ballet dancer. As a footballer however he's as much use as Nureyev.

It amazes me so many want to risk the Venkys manager roulette experience all over again. Especially when visible progress has been made. Even if we are falling short of the likes of Forest, Leicester, QPR etc... If we spin the wheel again things could get a whole lot worse.

I agree with patrickvalery and really really don't want to do Bowyer a disservice; but it doesn't surprise me that faith in him is beginning to erode. Despite the clear issues that have hamstrung us since Venkys bought the club, Gary has had much of his own way since taking control and he's not delivering above the ceiling many feared would impede significant upward momentum.

Free of artistry and gumption yesterday - as with several home fixtures prior - the floor show was lacklustre and sloppy and most players seemed to slump into leaden fatigue. Un-fastening cumbersome and error-prone defences like Sheff. Wednesdays should not be made out to be solving the Gordian knot. They are basement-battling fodder and their form over 18months in this league very much corroborates that. Rhodes' involvement was scant and he cut a mummified figure whilst his props were indisposed to help. Quite how 1million pound was spurned on Ben Marshall whilst superiors like Mcgugan went unnoticed is bewildering, more so with Marshall so vividly unsatisfactory. With the exception of Scott Dann nobody in blue-and-white located Rhodes with precision in 90 minutes which is woeful and worrying.

Bowyer's ashen-face sports this punished frown that is neither inspiring nor endearing and I was disappointed to hear him come out with nostril-offending cack more concurrent with Kean's infamous post-match idiosyncrasies. "Positives" to my mind are an enduring misnomer that seem to germinate when we've played poorly and to swipe at the fans was churlish: He's had unconditional backing on the strength that he's not Steve Kean and if that has expired he perhaps needs to look at himself and his flat-looking team, rather than de-crying a still-bruised fan-base.

The points return is almost scientifically average with 1.4 per game and although the squad is spartan and often shorn of the artful and experienced Dunn it would be remiss to overlook the deficiencies of the majority of this leagues sides. Wednesday for instance are evidently a side short on goals and of their starting eleven yesterday only Reda Johnson is a goalscorer of any renown and frequency.... and he's a left back! Who, QPR aside, have a squad more expensively-assembled and generously-remunerated than ourselves?

Sorry, but just preventing the opposition playing is not enough in a league that it has become increasingly clear with most visitors to Ewood is populated by such frail sides. An unambiguous improvement is a must on Sunday; allowing the season to peter-out into a middling conclusion would be injudicious because of the shortage of genuine promotion probables outside of QPR and perhaps Leicester. Gary has indeed done exceptionally well to solidify the back line but in this league that solidity should only be a detail. Home form good; back-to-back away clean sheets unprecedented in recent years; but where is the enterprise and potency to break down the sides that have thwarted us with seemingly effortless aplomb?

For me the half-term report would at best read C with play-offs in reach but still feeling strikingly remote

IMO people were booing because Bowyer seemed to accept a point in an easy game with 30 minutes left. If we had gone for it and pressed them back near the end then there would be no boo's. We don't all think that everything that Bowyer does is perfect.

when did I say Bowyer is perfect? yet again not reading what I say.

I think Bowyer got his subs wrong yesterday but I'm was pleased that Bowyer went 2 strikers up front. but we have a good home record. winning 6, drawing 3 and losing 2. plus Bowyer has sorted the team out defence with the team keeping 6 clean sheets in last 9 games.

Bowyer and the coaching staff need to work on the attacking side of the game.

I came away after the Wed game as disappointed as any in recent years, due to the frustration of seeing the team under performing in such a negative, unambitious manner for which Bowyer has to accept responsibility. he needs to show some courage and ambition in his tactics and team selection. Everybody hides behind the 'average team / players' argument, which, relative to the dross we've seen visit Ewood in the championship i do not accept.

The question I would ask is, are we getting the best out of each player, or indeed are we getting the best out of any player?

Archived