BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bowyer

• Backroom

What is up with you? If, heaven forbid, someone had been in a coma since 2010 and just come out of it to find Rovers in this state, then I could understand them having reservations about Bowyer. But, despite your posts suggesting otherwise, I'm guessing you're not a victim of such circumstances. In which case, and considering the mind blowing scale of inept decisions made at Rovers in the last 3 years, I cannot for the life of me see why you would see fit to criticise Gary Bowyer. A man and a manager who has got the side performing pretty damn well. Far better than the previous incumbents who were deserving of doubters. I wouldn't object if you ever gave any reasoning for your opinion. But, and if I'm off the mark then I apologise, you seem to enjoy posting just to get a reaction and that is just a bit strange to be honest.

He's not the only one, to be fair, he's just the most vocal.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gary Bowyer for me will struggle to provide a Rovers side playing with élan, but I don't really care.

He has emboldened, empowered and indeed enlivened a squad that was as disincentivised and divided as the supporters by the injurious compound of off-field scandal and frankly a tapestry of poor managers.

Yes his shortcomings lie with his near-blank contacts book, the fact he's a babe in these woods and a tactics jar and demeanour that are about as debonair as a burst sausage, but these are minor faults when measured with those who preceded him with lousiness that threatened to hijack the memory banks of even the most ardent of our number.

Lets not forget the incalculably stupid mooncalf's from Pune still own the club and for now Bowyer is that most welcome port in a storm.

The most timely reminder that the rancid Rao's stupidity is un-dimmed was Balaji's most recent exposé that his breasts are indeed as plentiful as Widow Twankeys boll*x..... A truly hideous and classless creature if ever there was..... Made me so very wistful for the orthodox bulletins that used to characterise my Rovers vigils "Vincenzo has a leg injury" etc

Nevertheless if Shebbys absence is upheld I remain hopeful that Bowyer can push us toward the 55-60 point mark by mid-April, avoiding the anxiety of last term, which would for me be a triumph after the culture of upheaval and discord that portended real strife and sorrow for us until his intervention last time out

If I was to purloin some BRFCS parlance it would be the now-acerbic chaddyrovers with "Get behind GB FFS!!!" :rover:

Gary Bowyer for me will struggle to provide a Rovers side playing with élan, but I don't really care.

He has emboldened, empowered and indeed enlivened a squad that was as disincentivised and divided as the supporters by the injurious compound of off-field scandal and frankly a tapestry of poor managers.

Yes his shortcomings lie with his near-blank contacts book, the fact he's a babe in these woods and a tactics jar and demeanour that are about as debonair as a burst sausage, but these are minor faults when measured with those who preceded him with lousiness that threatened to hijack the memory banks of even the most ardent of our number.

Lets not forget the incalculably stupid mooncalf's from Pune still own the club and for now Bowyer is that most welcome port in a storm.

The most timely reminder that the rancid Rao's stupidity is un-dimmed was Balaji's most recent exposé that his breasts are indeed as plentiful as Widow Twankeys boll*x..... A truly hideous and classless creature if ever there was..... Made me so very wistful for the orthodox bulletins that used to characterise my Rovers vigils "Vincenzo has a leg injury" etc

Nevertheless if Shebbys absence is upheld I remain hopeful that Bowyer can push us toward the 55-60 point mark by mid-April, avoiding the anxiety of last term, which would for me be a triumph after the culture of upheaval and discord that portended real strife and sorrow for us until his intervention last time out

If I was to purloin some BRFCS parlance it would be the now-acerbic chaddyrovers with "Get behind GB FFS!!!" :rover:

As ever Rolo, a post which leaves me not only in agreement but also extremely envious. You should post more often.

Leeds fans were delighted when he got the sacked there.

and he walked out on Palace after they were given 10-point deduction by the Football League for poor financial position which did resulted in the club being placed in administration. Crystal Palace's administrator commented that Warnock was 'let go' after telling the administrator he did not have the stomach for the fight to save the club, and he went to QPR.

I couldn't think of a worse manager I wouldn't want in charge of Rovers.

don't understand why Sparky Marky rated Kane and Cairney. Cairney has been one of our best player this season so far.

so I will ask the question to Sparky Marky, what is your problem with Bowyer and his signings???

and why do you think Warnock would do any better??? What would he change apart from playing his long ball tactics?

Bowyer is slowly building a very good team that will be challenging for promotion/playoffs places IMO come the end of the season. he has got the team playing to its strengths and Rhodes is scoring goals and is the top goalscorer in the league.

Plus we are 11th in the league and joint 3rd highest in goal scored and 12th in goals against and in the form guide which is the last 6 games we are 5th with 11 points from the last 6 games. here is the form table http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/CurrentForm/0,,10794~20137,00.html#

and some fans want Bowyer sack is just plain crazy talk to me and would be a absolutely stupid to do so. what more do fans want from him???

Promotion. Always seems to improve teams over the years and has had one or two promotions. Yeah a dodgy time at Leeds but they've been keaned for years anyway. He would be a interesting appointment. ..I just don't think GB has it in him...sorry.

bet Leeds and Palace fans wouldn't say that their teams improve under him, if anything went backwards.

why would he been interesting appointment?

what are your reasons for saying GB hasn't got it in him???

I always seen that you haven't said one single thing about yesterday win or Bowyer setting the team up correctly to get the away win. I wonder why?

Promotion. Always seems to improve teams over the years and has had one or two promotions. Yeah a dodgy time at Leeds but they've been keaned for years anyway. He would be a interesting appointment. ..I just don't think GB has it in him...sorry.

Warnock is a conman of Keanesque proportions. He has very little going for him tactically and has a litany of player fall-outs and dodgy dealings behind him. GB has a lot more to offer than him.

• Backroom

As ever Rolo, a post which leaves me not only in agreement but also extremely envious. You should post more often.

Rolo's eloquence is like a fine wine that should only be sampled every so often. He can leave the daily slogging to us simpler folk and then throw a post through the warzone like a finely crafted word-grenade that leaves everyone in awe B) top boy is Rolo.

• Backroom

I've only read Sparky Marky saying he'd sack him.?! (the originator of this topic)

Yeah I don't think many are silly enough to call for his sacking, but there are plenty suggesting he should be doing much better - which IMO is very harsh given the resources available to him.

Rolo's eloquence is like a fine wine that should only be sampled every so often. He can leave the daily slogging to us simpler folk and then throw a post through the warzone like a finely crafted word-grenade that leaves everyone in awe B) top boy is Rolo.

Of course you're right DE, But, I'll be honest, I will pass off snippets of Rolo's post in everyday chit chat and fraudulently claim it as my own. I've got no shame. The trouble is he rarely posts and it makes me look like a dim witted idiot for about 360 days of the year. If he only upped his input I might actually maintain the respect I have shamelessly stolen in the first place. Its selfishness on his part if you ask me.

• Backroom

Of course you're right DE, But, I'll be honest, I will pass off snippets of Rolo's post in everyday chit chat and fraudulently claim it as my own. I've got no shame. The trouble is he rarely posts and it makes me look like a dim witted idiot for about 360 days of the year. If he only upped his input I might actually maintain the respect I have shamelessly stolen in the first place. Its selfishness on his part if you ask me.

We are but peasants at his linguistically-superior digital feet, feeding off the crumbs thrown down. Difficult to tell whether I genuinely love him or whether I'm just experiencing a form of stockholm syndrome tbh.

Just like financial products, football managers should carry the warning:

Past performance is no guarantee of future success.

We’ve had many a name proposed in recent times:

Holloway ……….

19 Crystal Palace 6 -6 3

McCarthy and McDermot

9 Ipswich 9 3 13

10 Bournemouth 9 -8 13

11 Blackburn 9 4 12

12 Brighton 9 1 12

13 Wigan 8 3 11

14 Derby 9 1 11

15 Leeds 9 -2 11

Nowt special going on there then!

Then there’s Dougie “the gem” Freedman:

23 Bolton 9 10 4

What about Megson?

“I told him I didn’t like the way he coached, I didn’t like the way he shouted at his players and didn’t like the way he treated seasoned professionals like 15-year-olds. I was just being honest with him. I said: ‘I’ve seen you on the sidelines and you look like a crazed animal’.

“He told me that was how he had to work with his players but I’m not a 15-year-old and I wouldn’t want to be treated like that.”

Darren Huckerby on why he signed for Norwich instead of Megson’s WBA.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/columnists/chris-lakey/is_it_necessary_for_managers_to_continually_rant_and_rave_1_1511508

and now Warnock.

He certainly knows how to get a team promoted but he left most of his clubs unceremoniously:

Notts Co, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Bury, Sheffield U, Palace, QPR and Leeds.

He's always good for a bit of controversy - remember the Diouff sewer rat comment - then he went out and bought him! Here’s a quote about another of our favourites during an interview:

Who did you mean when you said that some of your players were so technically poor that they “couldn’t pass water”?
I think it would be cruel to name names. Put it this way, I don’t think Craig Short would mind me saying he was one of them at the time. But it just shows you what you can do with practice because he worked hard and can now play it with either foot.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/neil-warnock-one-one#Q5qqKOlFslqZ0Ilb.99

There's the problem with Neil, you would always be worried he would live up to his anagram.

Just like financial products, football managers should carry the warning:

Past performance is no guarantee of future success.

Weve had many a name proposed in recent times:

Holloway .

19 Crystal Palace 6 -6 3

McCarthy and McDermot

9 Ipswich 9 3 13

10 Bournemouth 9 -8 13

11 Blackburn 9 4 12

12 Brighton 9 1 12

13 Wigan 8 3 11

14 Derby 9 1 11

15 Leeds 9 -2 11

Nowt special going on there then!

Then theres Dougie the gem Freeman:

23 Bolton 9 10 4

What about Megson?

I told him I didnt like the way he coached, I didnt like the way he shouted at his players and didnt like the way he treated seasoned professionals like 15-year-olds. I was just being honest with him. I said: Ive seen you on the sidelines and you look like a crazed animal.

He told me that was how he had to work with his players but Im not a 15-year-old and I wouldnt want to be treated like that.

Darren Huckerby on why he signed for Norwich instead of Megsons WBA.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/columnists/chris-lakey/is_it_necessary_for_managers_to_continually_rant_and_rave_1_1511508

and now Warnock.

He certainly knows how to get a team promoted but he left most of his clubs unceremoniously:

Notts Co, Huddersfield, Plymouth, Oldham, Sheffield U, Palace, QPR and Leeds.

Heres a good quote during an interview:

Who did you mean when you said that some of your players were so technically poor that they couldnt pass water?

I think it would be cruel to name names. Put it this way, I dont think Craig Short would mind me saying he was one of them at the time. But it just shows you what you can do with practice because he worked hard and can now play it with either foot.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/neil-warnock-one-one#Q5qqKOlFslqZ0Ilb.99

There's the problem with Neil, you would always be worried that he would live up to his anagram: .......................Colin W*nker.

And of Bowyer?

Nothing of any note anytime......same as us at the moment. ....

And of Bowyer?

Nothing of any note anytime......same as us at the moment. ....

But Gary has potential and that is the important thing. Personally, I always liked what he did at the Academy and the Reserves and believe that in the long term he will do well with the Rovers. I'm not saying that he will get us up because no manager can guarantee success, particularly with our owners. However, he will steady a ship that has looked like sinking even further - a bit like Ken Furphy in the early seventies. Having been told to cut the wage bill and develop young players I think he is doing as well as anyone could be expected to do. I have no doubt that this season I will see games that entertain me - like Bournemouth - games that bore me - like Huddersfield - and games that are dire - like Doncaster. However, I fully expect us to finish mid table and that is a welcome sign of progress on which Gary can build next summer.

I know I am talking to a brick wall, but Bowyer has the job, and no-one of any note would be approached if he was to be binned today. Bowyer has done OK, not perfect but pretty good. And that is far better than Kean, Berg and Appleton, the three previous permenant managers that Venky's Shebby etc. have hired.

If Bowyer was to be sacked, we would be the laughing stock of English football yet again, the media would have a field day, Shebby would try and be the white knight again and it would take us 4 months to hire Judian Ali. It seems one or two of the fans would actually want this perpetual chaos, and have a new manager after every loss. They either think that our owners would suddenly gain credibility and judgement from their toothpaste one morning, or they're frankly unfit to run any sort of business.

I think SHK summarizes what I'm trying to say very well - that I'm not asking for him to be sacked, just that 1) we aren't doing amazing and 2) this means Bowyer doesn't get unconditional support in a vote of confidence (as oppose to match day support) regardless of results. I think he has the potential to do well, but the question that has to be asked, is when does not doing great become not good enough? Especially as we need promotion.

Also the idea Bowyer has done nothing wrong - am not sure on that. Jeez I like the guy, he's a top bloke and would love him to succeed. I'd love in 6 months time to think what was I worrying about. But given we're where we are in the league, that'd suggest he's not got everything spot on. I like him, but he's not perfect that people are making out.

Also Al we'll never know could we attract better. You think we won't, I suspect we could - different opinions. We've had clowns doing the selecting, and have not gone about getting proper football people doing a proper football manager recruitment process. If we had, I think you'd be surprised - I think we could have done. Admittedly each time we don't and as our situation worsens we stand a bit less chance, but certainly last season and still now, I think a decent recruitment process might've pleasantly surprised us. Who would I get - well I'm no expert and don't have the time (plus it's not my job) to put together a comprehensive shortlist. But prior to this season I think there may have been a host of names previously we could have got last season McCarthy, McDermott, Holloway - heck even the chap who got Montpellier the title was asking for a move to the UK. But of course, we've never really investigated, so again don't know whether we could have done better.

This is the big driving factor. If this were not an issue I'd be more than happy under Bowyer, a likeable guy doing a decent job, as it'd be enough to see the club decently run. However financial armageddon means we need to really think about every single thing we can to avoid this. Which may, possibly, this season mean considering Bowyer's position.

Now you are changing your tune. A couple of days ago you wanted rid of the manager to appoint "a better one" without having a clue as to where that "better one" was going to come from. A recipe for another disastrous appointment.

Archived