BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Fixing

I still don't buy that the Spurs game was anything more than Kean's managerial ineptitude.

Would this mean Yakubu, Hoilett, Pedersen, et al. were all in on it?

What about the number of free-kicks we conceded? From memory it was a ridiculously low number and I clearly remember Neville and Wilkins saying that for a team in our position they couldn't believe we had hardly made a tackle.

I saw Sam Sodje is implicated in the spot fixing story that came out today. After a play-off semi-final defeat to Sheff Wed when he was at Brentford he accused me of not being fair. I remember telling him that if I had made a mistake it was an honest one. Seeing him this morning brought a smile to my face.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey encouraged anyone with any evidence to report it to the police.

Mr Harvey added: "We treat any allegations of criminal activity in our competitions with the utmost seriousness...

...and then we laugh and head off to Carpet World, followed by B&Q.

What about the number of free-kicks we conceded? From memory it was a ridiculously low number and I clearly remember Neville and Wilkins saying that for a team in our position they couldn't believe we had hardly made a tackle.

I don't deny it was a dodgy performance, but what about the path of least resistance? This was a depreciated group of players managed by one of the worst managers in PL history, employing an experimental formation. Why isn't that a sufficient explanation instead of some elaborate match-fixing conspiracy which doesn't consider all the variables you'd need to control to pull it off?

I don't deny it was a dodgy performance, but what about the path of least resistance? This was a depreciated group of players managed by one of the worst managers in PL history, employing an experimental formation. Why isn't that a sufficient explanation instead of some elaborate match-fixing conspiracy which doesn't consider all the variables you'd need to control to pull it off?

Given all the suspicion around at the time (and since) it is almost a natural assumption to make. When two seasoned ex pro's mentioned it though it certainly aroused my suspicions.

Just when you thought perhaps our good name couldn't be dragged any further down...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25297600

DJ Campbell held in football fixing probe

_71621062_71621061.jpg

Former Premiership footballer DJ Campbell is among six people being questioned in connection with allegations of fixing in football matches, his club have confirmed. Mr Campbell, who plays for Championship side Blackburn, was one of six people arrested on Sunday.

The arrests came after ex-Portsmouth player Sam Sodje told a reporter he could arrange for players to be booked or sent off in exchange for cash.

Portsmouth FC said it was "shocked".

Mr Campbell, 32 - whose full name is Dudley Junior Campbell - played in the Premier League for Birmingham, Blackpool and QPR.

Blackburn Rovers FC said in a statement: "Following reports in today's national media, Blackburn Rovers can confirm that striker DJ Campbell has been arrested. "The club will be making no further comment on what is now an ongoing legal matter."

Perhaps this will allow the club to dispense with his services, without having to pay up.. perhaps I'll put a fiver on that as an outcome.. oh no, the odds would be incalculable

have you read the dj cambell story yet

One player getting himself booked is a far cry from a team deliberately throwing a match and refusing to have a shot on goal. ;)

I agree. The concern, though, is that it is the thin end of the wedge...it brings into question the integrity of the game( sounds ironic from a Rovers fan),,but in the sense of causing one to question whether everything that happens in a match is genuine.

I agree. The concern, though, is that it is the thin end of the wedge...it brings into question the integrity of the game( sounds ironic from a Rovers fan),,but in the sense of causing one to question whether everything that happens in a match is genuine.

thin end of the wodge

Don't forget the Government has had a certain dossier in its posession for a long time now.

Proposing making match fixing a specific criminal offence could be knee jerk or it could be something that has been on the books waiting for somebody or other to make a very public mistake.

This is the Murdoch Sun which has the story which has multiple agendas of its own.

Two things we can be reasonably certain of.

1) no coincidence that a Blackburn jersey is being paraded as the punlic face of match fixing

2) not immediately Rovers related but the Sun is going to run a progressive reveal of player corruption no doubt exquisitely timed to coincide with police arrests.

Well what a silly boy DJ has been. Discos to show that we don't always have our players trying their best. I guess he will now have to face the music and for the record, I hope he gets what he deserves. Let's face it he would be facing a life sentence now had he committed murder on the dance floor. I am in a real spin with all this it just goes to show, we are all human, or are we dancers?

Guest Norbert

I do wonder if there is panic in the streets of Carlisle (or any other town with a lower league club) about how far this reaches.

There was a big case a while ago in Germany that implicated referees as well as players, which had loads of games investigated. It would be quite something if that was the case here. It may explain a few decisions like the Sandro handball.

I do wonder if there is panic in the streets of Carlisle (or any other town with a lower league club) about how far this reaches.

There was a big case a while ago in Germany that implicated referees as well as players, which had loads of games investigated. It would be quite something if that was the case here. It may explain a few decisions like the Sandro handball.

Dublin, Dundee or Humberside, I wonder to myself? Shall we hang the DJ?

Football Association general secretary Alex Horne said

it had been "a very positive meeting".

"The intelligence that we have is that this isn't a wide-scale issue at the moment but we don't want to be complacent".

"We don't want to see this in our sport and so, therefore, we are doing everything we can"

BBC website 10th Dec 2013

Archived