BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Coyle

tomphil

That goes above and beyond the sacking of Allardyce. Doesn't stop Drog, Jim, et al. repeating themselves ad nauseam, though.

If I'd never backed Sam and rejoiced when he was sacked I wouldn't want posts which continually reminded me of my own stupidity either. :rock:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there's something about Rene Meulensteens quick promotion to manager that got the steve keans about it, maybe im just being a little paranoid, but still will owners never learn that promoting coaches to manager from in-house rarely goes well(there's usually a slight performance boost to begin with, but it doesn't usually take long for the wheels to start coming off again)

That's not what they did there though is it? They brought him in to "help" jol ie to be his replacement immediately they decided to sack him. He wasn't at the club in a lowly position and manoeuvred into the top job - he was specifically employed for the job

That's not what they did there though is it? They brought him in to "help" jol ie to be his replacement immediately they decided to sack him. He wasn't at the club in a lowly position and manoeuvred into the top job - he was specifically employed for the job

Still stinks though doesn't it. Jol would have known the second Meulensteen was appointed that he was out of a job. Just a matter of waiting for the pay-off. I bet he'd given over bothering for the last few weeks.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/9052872/rene-meulensteen-insists-he-was-surprised-by-fulham-decision-to-sack-martin-jol

What a load of crap this article is for instance. Does anyone believe this @#/?? Probably the same people that thought Kean had been thrown into the managers position without warning. Football is run by scum.

I don't think Jol could have complained if he'd been sacked at the time Meulensteen was brought in and he certainly couldn't by the time he was sacked. At least the way it happened he theoretically had a few more weeks to turn it round and might not have got the bullet had he managed to do so.

We'll never know, it just didn't really work for Jol at Fulham and for some managers it seems to be like that, hugely successful at one place and can hardly do anything right at another.

I don't think Jol could have complained if he'd been sacked at the time Meulensteen was brought in and he certainly couldn't by the time he was sacked. At least the way it happened he theoretically had a few more weeks to turn it round and might not have got the bullet had he managed to do so.

We'll never know, it just didn't really work for Jol at Fulham and for some managers it seems to be like that, hugely successful at one place and can hardly do anything right at another.

Spent a lot of money too, particularly in wages. I bet their wage bill is astronomical.

I don't think he was given chance to turn it around once Meulensteen was appointed, I think he was given chance to resign before they gave him the boot. He was out of a job one way or another.

Putting Sam back in his box marked "the past, time to get over it" with this question regarding another man (like Laudrup) who will be regarded as more successful than Allardyce, due to actually winning something ;)

"Which manager beat Sam's team in the league cup final?"

Putting Sam back in his box marked "the past, time to get over it" with this question regarding another man (like Laudrup) who will be regarded as more successful than Allardyce, due to actually winning something ;)

"Which manager beat Sam's team in the league cup final?"

Does any of that actually make sense? I really cannot work out what on earth you are trying to say.

With regard to the bit in bold, I assume you mean Schteve McClaren but what relevance does this have to the discussion?

Such a strange post

You could say I have taken the bait :lol:

The irrelevance was bringing him up in the first place. If you ever read back in a topic you would notice Allardyce was brought into the discussion and bigged up into something amazing (yet again.....has he retrospectively won the Champions league single handedly yet?).

As stated even Steve McClaren is more successful.

Yes we were in the prem when he was here but those days have gone. As painful as the last three years have been it's time to let it go don't you think? Especially as he's just a couple of defeats from the chop at his current club having spent Mi£££££ions

The irrelevance was bringing him up in the first place. If you ever read back in a topic you would notice Allardyce was brought into the discussion and bigged up into something amazing (yet again.....has he retrospectively won the Champions league single handedly yet?).

Yes we were in the prem when he was here but those days have gone. As painful as the last three years have been it's time to let it go don't you think? Especially as he's just a couple of defeats from the chop at his current club having spent Mi£££££ions

Perhaps many of us are reluctant to let it go because we realise that he may well be the last successful manager at Ewood for a generation or more to come. Those of us who witnessed the decline from 1966 to 1991 are perhaps even more reluctant to let things go. We know what is likely to come because we have experienced it before. However, this time it is likely to be much, much worse. Sadly, the Indian mob have ensured that memories are all we have left.

Such a negative view Parson, no-one knows what will happen in future even if in the short term it gets worse before it gets better.

As for memories, well it was inevitable that that is would have been all we would have been left with eventually under the Walker Trust with them starving the team of any form of investment.

Their ill advised decision to sell to the first people who put up the money regardless of whether they had any previous experience of running a sports franchise, accelerated the process but basically we're where we would have been two to five years sooner than we would otherwise have been the case imo.

That doesn't mean to say there's no hope for the future, because there is. Football tends to be cyclical and our time no doubt will come again at some point.

No-one on here knows the hatred and contempt you held for Allardyce. Suprisingly, you even called him 'Sam' in an earlier post. Miracles will never cease. You were 100% confident he would relegate us after a dodgy pre-season. We finished 10th.

I am not niggling, but lets not pretend you were a fan at any stage of his employment here, nor did you have anything good to say at anytime about his style of play, or the results gleaned. You celebrated his sacking and were 100% supportive of the Venky's decision to remove him. Just reminding you.....of you.

No-one on here knows the hatred and contempt you held for Allardyce. Suprisingly, you even called him 'Sam' in an earlier post. Miracles will never cease. You were 100% confident he would relegate us after a dodgy pre-season. We finished 10th.

I am not niggling, but lets not pretend you were a fan at any stage of his employment here, nor did you have anything good to say at anytime about his style of play, or the results gleaned. You celebrated his sacking and were 100% supportive of the Venky's decision to remove him. Just reminding you.....of you.

And? So? I accept that I have never liked the Fat Sam as a person or his style, but NEVER ever said he would relegate us. You just made that bit up.

He's wasted some millions this season and his neck is nearing the block.

And? So? I accept that I have never liked the Fat Sam as a person or his style, but NEVER ever said he would relegate us. You just made that bit up.

Interesting.

I was so thankful when Williams appointed Sam. It was ironic in a way because I would have been disappointed had we got him the previous summer.

I had not cared for what I perceived as his playing style or his media persona at Bolton.

When he arrived I believed it was the only appointment that could have saved us.

By the end, however, I had grown weary of the hoofball and also what I saw as the pattern of merely fulfilling certain fixtures-L'pool and Arsenal away spring to mind.

Nevertheless, I knew that my concern about the style of football was in the context of the Walker "Trust" starving the club of funding. I had concluded that without a change of ownership, we were relegation bound sooner or later.

I wanted Sam to get the chance to manage Rovers with a bit of support in terms of investment. I thought he deserved that.

What happened was inexcusable. To sack him like that in order to fulfil the agreement to install Kean.....

Interesting.

I was so thankful when Williams appointed Sam. It was ironic in a way because I would have been disappointed had we got him the previous summer.

I had not cared for what I perceived as his playing style or his media persona at Bolton.

When he arrived I believed it was the only appointment that could have saved us.

By the end, however, I had grown weary of the hoofball and also what I saw as the pattern of merely fulfilling certain fixtures-L'pool and Arsenal away spring to mind.

Nevertheless, I knew that my concern about the style of football was in the context of the Walker "Trust" starving the club of funding. I had concluded that without a change of ownership, we were relegation bound sooner or later.

I wanted Sam to get the chance to manage Rovers with a bit of support in terms of investment. I thought he deserved that.

What happened was inexcusable. To sack him like that in order to fulfil the agreement to install Kean.....

Pretty much sums up my feelings. Would have loved to see what Big Sam would have done with a few decent quid to spend. Not much would have changed in his style of play but with a couple of players who fit his style then im sure we'd of had a go at finishing in a good position. Knowing what we know now though sam would have soon fallen out with the crackpots running the club and probably walked at the end of that season if not before. Some on here ignore that fact and try and preach we would have had 3 more seasons of stable prem football. Never under this ownership, that's why we need to move on now.

It was inexcusesble. But his record with cash to spenf is pretty dire. It magnifies venkys incompetence when they can make ambition bereft hoofball and awayday surrenders seem halcyonic. Lack of investment under the previous owners would have eventually brought a relegation under Sam.....IF he didn't conveniently jump ship to an obscure national team first (seeing as he was putting feelers out when he was as Ewood)

Anyway, what about that Coyle? He was over rated ex-dingle rubbish ;)

It was inexcusesble. But his record with cash to spenf is pretty dire. It magnifies venkys incompetence when they can make ambition bereft hoofball and awayday surrenders seem halcyonic. Lack of investment under the previous owners would have eventually brought a relegation under Sam.....IF he didn't conveniently jump ship to an obscure national team first (seeing as he was putting feelers out when he was as Ewood)

Anyway, what about that Coyle? He was over rated ex-dingle rubbish ;)

I did think he was too much of a self publicist. That was the bit of his media style I didn't like. But he was a manager and he had the authority and respect of the players. As for the pre-planned, mendacious,SEM replacement....

Getting back to Moses Coyle.

Apart from his Burnley association, I do worry about the way he talks about himself in the third person-like Andy Cole-always a bad sign, in my book. As for his egocentric insistance on handshakes with his former players, as they trudged from the field after defeat at Bolton put them in the bottom 3.....hmmm !

Such a negative view Parson, no-one knows what will happen in future even if in the short term it gets worse before it gets better.

As for memories, well it was inevitable that that is would have been all we would have been left with eventually under the Walker Trust with them starving the team of any form of investment.

Their ill advised decision to sell to the first people who put up the money regardless of whether they had any previous experience of running a sports franchise, accelerated the process but basically we're where we would have been two to five years sooner than we would otherwise have been the case imo.

That doesn't mean to say there's no hope for the future, because there is. Football tends to be cyclical and our time no doubt will come again at some point.

I'm in total agreement with you Rev and with PBs views from 67 to 91, with the exception of what the future may hold.

My view is that prior to the events of the summer of 2012, perhaps we could 'come again' and there was a genuine group of Rovers fans that were prepared and brave enough to take up the mantle.Sadly as with Preston and Swansea on that famous Saturday similarly 'Shebby @#/? it up'!

There is certainly a lack of good English managers coming through. The fact that Michael Appleton was seen as promising says it all. Anyone who was unfortunate enough to witness any of his games at Rovers last season will have seen how clueless he was. It is hard to put into words just how bad his tactics were in the two quarter-final games against Milwall.

They do now!

Blue and white army hang your head in shame. How could you be so gormless after Allardyce rescued the club with ultimately room to spare after the completely misguided and terminally stupid Ince experiment? I can only assume that you were one of the bitter and twisted facebook sheep who had lost face and had their stupid opinions shoved right back down their throats by the events of 2008/2009.

I shall now treat all your future contributions on here accordingly.

Surely if we had stayed in the Prem another couple of years, we would now have 40% more TV money, and the circa £20m debt

we had at the time, would have been cleared by the sale of Jones to Man Utd, which was always going to happen anyway.

I think we would now be in a pretty decent situation, if we had kept the same people in charge, but who knows ?

Perhaps many of us are reluctant to let it go because we realise that he may well be the last successful manager at Ewood for a generation or more to come. Those of us who witnessed the decline from 1966 to 1991 are perhaps even more reluctant to let things go. We know what is likely to come because we have experienced it before. However, this time it is likely to be much, much worse. Sadly, the Indian mob have ensured that memories are all we have left.

Such a negative view Rev?

"Football tends to be cyclical and our time no doubt will come again at some point"?

There was nothing cyclical about the way Jack Walker took us back to the top league for 20 years, without him, it would never have happened. OK, we "might" have made it back to the top league, but not for very long - and that's as much as we could hope for again. Unfortunately the odds are far more in our favour to go completely to the wall, than they are for us to stay in the top flight for any length of time. I really don't see how anyone can look at where we are and think our time will come again.

Like Parson, the times I've been down to Ewood this season and last, I've found myself simply mourning what we had. When I started going down to Ewood over 50 years ago, I absolutely loved seeing a fabulous Rovers side giving out some real thrashings to some of the best clubs in the country. 1966 saw us lose all that and I spent from then, to JW's arrival, just wanting to see us competing in the top league again. Every season I dreamed of promotion and that game at Bristol saw us ever so close. We faded away again, and every time we accrued talent, whether it be players or managers, they moved on.

So, I read posts from some "positive thinking fans" and simply wonder " what is it you want, are you just happy to watch a game of football, don't you want to be playing against the best sides rather than the dross we have in this league - does nothing bother you?"............ Because we've just had all that, and we've thrown it away and it doesn't bother you. Maybe the whole anger between fans on here comes down to the fact that people like Parson know exactly what we've lost and exactly how hard it will be to get it back. Venky's have killed it for me.

I'm not sure who is the negative thinker here. Is it negativity, or is it realism based on history, the experience of seeing this happen before and the knowing that what we've just lost probably won't ever be regained?

Archived