BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] RIP Nelson Mandela

• Backroom

Nelson Mandela has passed away aged 95

What an absolute star of a human being what a shame so many of those years were spent incarcerated

RIP Mr Mandela

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me no words describe Mandela better than those delivered by Mandela and the South African peoples great friend Fidel Castro, who said.

“Glory to you, Nelson, who while in prison for 25 years defended human dignity! Slander and hatred could do nothing against your endurance of steel. You were able to resist and, without knowing or looking for it, you became a symbol of what is most noble in humanity. You will live in the memory of future generations, and in your memory the Cubans who died defending the liberty of their brothers in other lands of the world,”

• Backroom

If there's a man that every person on this planet could aspire to in some way, it's Mandela. RIP big man. Hopefully your country continues the progress you began.

I might watch Invictus over the weekend.

The long walk to freedom: Mission Accomplished.

The man deserves respect for his efforts to invoke reconciliation between the races, but he was also a terrorist. The reason that he spent so long in prison was because he refused to renounce violence. Did he make a difference in South Africa, no!.

The man deserves respect for his efforts to invoke reconciliation between the races, but he was also a terrorist. The reason that he spent so long in prison was because he refused to renounce violence. Did he make a difference in South Africa, no!.

You must be joking.

• Backroom

An influential man and somebody history will remember. He's been an inspiration to many and a force of good in numerous ways, so for that he deserves plenty of credit. Whilst his past invokes a degree of controversy, very few truly great men or women have straightforward histories. No doubt he'll be missed by many.

Although South Africa isn't perfect Nelson Mandalas presence and Wisdom did seem to just about hold the nation together(compared to some other barbaric African nations) I just hope South Africa doesn't rapidly start to regress now he's gone.

Though to be honest I only know brief details about Mr. Manadala and the situation of the African nations, But man he wore some amazing shirts :D

I pay my respects, I happened to have seen an acquaintance from South Africa last night and should have thought to say something, it did not enter my mind. I guess I don't really associate him with being from there though, that's why, not that I forgot.

Mandela was a terrorist with much blood on his hands but was one of the lucky ones who got the chance to come good in the end. Black South Africa owes him a debt of gratitude.

Well, the "blicks" are no longer oppressed if that's what you mean. But I suspect you don't.

For once Jim, I think Gordon has a point in questioning where South Africa is right now. There is absolutely no doubt that Mandela has been a towering presence both in South Africa and across the world. His ability to forgive his enemies helped to allow South Africa to make a peaceful transition from the apartheid regime to the democratic nation it is now. And there's no doubt that the black majority are no longer "oppressed". Oh, and how anyone can bring up the "terrorist" label for Mandela with the background of the Sharpeville massacre is beyond me.

However, there still appears to be a long way to go for the country to have true integration. I was in South Africa two years ago and, certainly in the Western Cape, if you were in a restaurant overwhelmingly the customers were white and the staff black. The proper decent housing was in the white areas and the townships are still for the most part shanty towns. I was only briefly in Johannesburg but things did appear to be a bit better there.

We also went out to a small town on the High Veldt in Orange Free State a couple of hours south of Johannesburg to see the place where my wife's father was born. It was probably the most depressing place I've ever been to. The small town centre was where the small poor white community lived. The blacks had an awful township with little or no facilities about a mile away. The supermarket we went in only had alcohol, snacks and toilet rolls in it and there was a fight there within a minute of our arrival.

What will be important now will be for the country to continue it's progress towards a more integrated society and build on the work Mandela did. There must be a fear that his departure will open up the wounds he was able to heal.

Archived